Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

Apple

Old 12-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Easy does it
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple

I have heard nothing but good things about aerofly, So when are they going to satisfy the other half of the computer world and write the program for us Apple users? Come on guy's Help us out!!!
Old 12-24-2004, 09:58 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Apple

Well like many others I'm forced to PC, that's why I have both. Don't want to, got too.

I don't think you'll ever see AFP on Apple. It's just not cost prohibative.

RC is a niche group of people, now you add a niche group of computer users that doesn't equate to return on investment.

Once you see AFP on the store shelves of every Best Buy, CompUSA and Walmat ... then maybe there may be a shot.

Just grab one of the TV special Dells for $600 and add a $200 video card.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Easy does it
Banned

Okay for $800 plus the program I think I will just buy a few more planes, after all I do live in south florida and there are only a few days out of the year that I can't fly (There is nothing like the real thing!!!) and not to mention where I would put another pc It would propbably end up costing me about $150.000.00 time I bought a larger house so It's not too cost effective for me either " Oh well no sim for me then" (Sad isn't it?) thanks STLpilot
Old 12-25-2004, 06:08 AM
STLPilot

Oh trust me I'm die hard apple fan, but like I said forced to PC. I can't just sit there and watch everyone else have all the fun, not just for RC sims but for scale sims too. Thousands of other apps too.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:30 PM
madhusker
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: brit

I have heard nothing but good things about aerofly, So when are they going to satisfy the other half of the computer world and write the program for us Apple users? Come on guy's Help us out!!!
eh?? other half? That may be a stretch...... It's too bad, but yes, M$ rules the world.

Apple's market share in personal computers peaked at 16 percent in 1986 and has hovered in the low single digits since the late 1990s. Even as the iPod was becoming a cultural and business phenomenon, the company ranked just 10th among all PC-makers in the third quarter of this year with 1.9 percent of the market, according to research firm IDC.

This may have something to do with it. But while we are asking, what about LINUX! Nahh, keep it simple with something the developers can maintain it on.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:29 PM
STLPilot

When you do you stats do them against RC users, not average users.

The average RC pilot does not own a MAC.

One of the admins of this site was nice enough to share with me Mac to PC users that browse RCU. I also got the infotmation off OMP's website for people that browse our site.

As expected the % of RC Mac users are well below the National average.

The RC sim guys know this. Like I said it's not cost probhibative.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Ace in the hole

I'll put my 2 cents in here too. I feel your pain brit. I am a avid mac fan too. up till recently all I owned was a mac. Did everything I wanted to do, and what I couldn't do really did not bother me that much. But I finally gave in to my son who wanted to play several different games that were not available for mac. This, along with my wanting the new afpd forced my hand and now I own a pc too. I still love my mac and if afpd were ever ported for it, I would be the first in line to buy it. But like Dion said, I don't think it will ever happen, at least not until mac's market share increases to 20-30%.

One of the admins of this site was nice enough to share with me Mac to PC users that browse RCU. I also got the infotmation off OMP's website for people that browse our site.
Hey Dion, I am not all that up on computers, but how can you tell what % of people viewing this forum ( or any web site for that matter) is mac?
Old 12-26-2004, 03:47 PM
driftair
My Feedback: (4)

Is there not some Windows imulator for MAC out there somewhere?

I thought I recalled hearing about one some time ago, but dont have any specifics.

Hello out there, Does anyone know how MAC people can get ahold of the Windows Emulator for MAC that would allow a flight simulator to run on a MAC?
Old 12-26-2004, 04:19 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like STLpilot I also use a PC but own macs as well. I have had macs since the Mac Plus. I'm even an apple shareholder. However as a developer if you consider the small percentage of mac users overall and then proportianally break that down into the niche hobby that is RC the base of users is way too small to expect anybody to put resources into a mac sim when a pc sim you will market to 95% plus PC users.

Now for the $800 argument above. I think it is still worth it to own a sim. Think of it this way. If the sim makes you a better pilot and the skills you develop and reflexes save just one plane you have paid for your investment! You can do things on the sim you would never try on your real planes for the first time. I learned rolling circles, hovering and other maneuvers on the sim and it never cost me a plane. The time spent has also saved me from crashing many times. I also learned how to fly a heli on the sim. Just my opinion.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Easy does it
Banned

Thanks for the replies I just recently got into apple computers, my son has a G4 and G4 lap top my wife has a G4 laptop and I have a G5 this happened after thousands of dollars spent on Gat@#$ and D$%L only to have them load with viruses and crash repeatedly Mac is a superior platform in my most humble opinion no operating problems at all ever. It should not be to much longer before Apple gains a higher percentage of the market, In my family and circle of friends there are 15 Macs owned out of 37 people THIS IS A FACT (reference my 50% comment above) as you can see this number is close to half and if you ever go to my local Apple store people are not just buying I pods, anyhow enough of that, It was just a question. As you can see There is not room in my house for a pc ONE DAY APPLE WILL RULE THE WORLD!!! Okay maybe not but I shall still dream of a flight sim for it.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:39 PM
Ace in the hole

Yes, there are emulators to run windows on a mac. Virtual pc from microsoft is the main one now. The problem with them is that they are not fast enough to play games or run a simulator. The main problem is that they have to emulate graphics too. If they ever develop virtual pc to the point of supporting the graphics card already in the mac so it is only emulating the processor, then there may be hope, but for right now virtual pc is not an option to run a sim or play an action game.

I am still waiting to hear from Dion how they tell what % of people that visit a web site are mac? Anyone else know how this is done?
Old 12-28-2004, 07:05 AM
Ace in the hole

Still waiting to hear about my question. Anybody?? Anyone at all??
Old 01-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Ace in the hole

Somebody has to have an answer for this, how about it Dion.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:45 PM
STLPilot

Less then 1% of people that come to OMP's website and Aeroflypro.com's website are Mac users.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Ace in the hole

Ok, but how can you tell this? Does the server take some kind of info from my computer every time I visit? Thats what I am looking for- how do you know it's 1%.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:43 PM
phayd

As a Macintosh Consultant, I've always told my users that life is too short to deal with Windows.

With the 7% of iPod users buying Macs for the first time, and another 9% planning on it, Apple is definitely taking advantage of their marketshare in music players.

With the threat of credit card stealing spyware and viruses, which are not an issue on Mac OS X, the FBI is recommending Macs to anyone that asks.

The rumor is that Apple is going to release a <$600 Mac system in the next two weeks. With that, they are going to further capitalize on these points further.

Software developers should be realizing that we are in the middle of a change, and that they should be ready to take advantage of these trends in market changes.
--
As for current flight sim software www.x-plane.com is the best flight sim for any platform. It has even been used to test airplane designs before they went into prototype. It has a couple R/C planes in it as well.

There is also a R/C sailplane and R/C helicopter sim, but they are not very good.
--

On a final note, many Mac users change their Web Browser ID tag to Windows to get around draconian website policies. Some even use Search engine tags to get around draconian registration policies. Therefore, I have never put much faith in web server stats.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:14 PM
gsimmons

As a Mac user myself, how do you change your Web Browser ID tag???

What websites have you run into where viewing them with a Mac was a problem?? I personally haven't run into any (unless they were running some Professional Sales Database S/W - and over 50% of those have started supporting Macs over the last year!
Old 01-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Hypter

ORIGINAL: Ace in the hole

Ok, but how can you tell this? Does the server take some kind of info from my computer every time I visit? Thats what I am looking for- how do you know it's 1%.
Most hosting providers offer statistics which the site admin can view -- broswer name and version, total visits by a single user, refering site the visitor came from, and operating system type and version.. the list goes on. It shows what operating system your using, along with what browser you viewing the site with. It can show the total % of users using Windows or Mac's and Internet Explorer or Netscape browsers... along with some other information.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:39 PM
STLPilot

Yes I can tell what types of OS's and browsers hit our site real easy. Also I PM'd RCAdmin and he said less then 5% surf RCU.

Just gotta face it ... it's not going to happen. RC airplanes is small enough niche as it is, then account the small percentage of mac users.

Like I said, there are software companies that produce millions of pieces of software for PC, but won't produce them for Mac.

It's a fact that more Mac users own PC's as their 2nd computer then PC owners have Mac's as their 2nd computer.

I am forced to use a PC because I have too, not because I want too. But ever since Windows XP came out, it's as stable as Mac has EVER been.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:00 PM
phayd

Download Safari Enhancer, which enables the "debug" menu. In there you can change the User Agent to several different settings. As for the websites my clients have noticed, most of them are either online banking or corporate intranets.

Oh and one more thing...

I would not recommend using an emulator to run games. The speed is not acceptable for that sort of thing.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:56 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

If Steve Jobs wanted to increase his market share he could do it very easily.
Port OS X to the PC, that would give Apple a big market share for very little cost in comparison to
developing new hardware. It would also force programers for programs to consider both
platforms instead of just windows. Linux will not be a major player until they can convience consumers
to go that route, and it will be a long time coming. If OS X was ported to PC's you know how many people
would most likely convert over to that OS. It would be huge espically if you wanted to dual boot your system
to both OS's.
John
Old 01-03-2005, 10:20 AM
gsimmons

Apple is already part way there. The core Unix Operating System - Darwin - of OS X is already ported to the PC, and people have been running it since 2002. There has been a lot of speculation that Apple also has it's proprietary parts (non-open source) of OS X ported to the PC already. There's also been a lot of talk about Apple releasing a version of OS X for the PC, however, I think the core issue has been the myriad of hardware combinations that M$ or any PC OS has to deal with - most folks believe that this is the single biggest de-stabilizing factor for Windows.

By owning the hardware, Apple gets to tightly control what hardware their OS must support. As some have pointed out, there is only a small selection of "add-on" hardware for Apple Computers - ATI and NVidia Graphics cards being one of those choices. Everything in an Apple machine is basically top-of-the-line PC hardware, save for the Processors.