Community
Search
Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

Laptop

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Columbus Ron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop

I would like to buy the new AeroFly Pro Deluxe for my laptop but I noticed that the Deluxe version requires a 64 MB graphics card. I have a 32 MB GeForce4 graphics card. Will the Deluxe version work on my laptop? If not, would it be a good idea to go with the original version (that is will the company continue to support the original version for the foreseeable future)?

Below are all the specs on my laptop:

Intel Pentium M 1.4 GHz
32 MB GeForce4 graphics controller
512 MB RAM
40 GB HD

Thanks Ron
Old 12-26-2004, 10:08 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Laptop

Yes Deluxe will only be marginal on your computer.

Also we will support any one of our products for the life of that product.

We will be selling current AFP for the remainder of 2005. It's still one of the top sims on the market.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:04 AM
Columbus Ron

With my computer specifications in mind, are you recommending that I buy AFP or AFPD?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2004, 07:35 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Well if you don't want to get a new graphic card, AFP.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:28 AM
combat1

I have loaded AFP on my Dell laptop. Software wont read my controler ie.( G2 or Futaba). Also the cable that comes with AFP
will not hookup to my Dell its a 15pin female and cable is 9pin female. I have also purchased a micro plug for the new Futaba
radio from OMP micro end is ok but there is no way to plugin the other end.
Any information or advice would be nice.
The AFP works great on my desktop pc so i know it is something im missing. On the laptop the program come up but it is jerky
and searches for control and locks up.
Thanks
Old 02-18-2005, 07:50 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to load it on my Dell notebook also. No go. The main reason is the graphics requirements. The video memory and video capabilities are just not there with notebooks, unless you buy a real top level notebook. That DirectX 9 and OpenGL requirements pretty much take the notebooks out of the picture.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:46 AM
rmw00

Are you sure the 15 pin port is not the video output? Many Laptops don't have a serial port these days.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:02 PM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

Another club member has a Dell notebook and it works fine with G2 full version, I'm in the same club as combat1.
Steve Maxwell
Old 02-18-2005, 12:43 PM
CGRetired

G2 is not AFPD. I have G2 on my notebook also and it works ok but AFPD has different requirements primarilly in the video department. Also be sure you have the dongle plugged into the right port. The AFPD dongle I have is USB and you need it plugged in to use the software.

Are you talking AFP or AFPD? If AFP, then it was loaded on my notebook (took it off because I was upgrading to AFPD and had to return the CD Rom and Dongle to them for the upgrade). It, AFP, ran well on my Dell notebook. I had to use a USB to Serial adapter. I believe there is something in one of the threads about getting one of those. My Dell notebook does not have a standard DB9 serial port.

Old 02-18-2005, 12:50 PM
patternrules

Yes all that you said is true, he did get the adaptor cord that some have mentioned from radioshack and it is plugged in with the dongle his is not the newer deluxe version. it's the origianl AFP, and I haven't had a chance to help sence he downloaded the patch, he told me that everything works except for reconigizing the controller we'll get it some of these things just takes some time.
Thank you
Steve Maxwell
Old 02-18-2005, 01:02 PM
CGRetired

Hi Steve.

One thing I noted when I loaded it in my notebook that it 'appeared' not to recognize the controller but for some reason, it really did. I went to 'aircraft 1' for instance, and it allowed me to select an aircraft then I went to 'fly' and it worked. If the selections on the main screen are not 'bright' vs dim as though not allowed to use until the correct controller is plugged and recognized.. then perhaps it's something else. The above was just my experience with AFP and my Notebook. One more thing.. what windows version is he running on the notebook? Is the USB port recognized? Has he used it before for instance? Did he install the driver for the USB - Serial adapter? Just shotgunning here to try to help him out.

Dick.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:25 PM
patternrules

Thanks as soon as we can get back together we'll try, his is a new Dell I'm not sure but think it is the Inspiroin 1000 witha upgrade on the video.
Steve
Old 02-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Columbus Ron

My laptop did not come with a 9 pin serial port but I purchased the USB to serial port adapter from Radio Shack. The adapter came with a 3.5 inch disk. My laptop did not have a 3.5 inch disk drive so I downloaded the software from Radio Shack's website. When I installed the software the adapter was connected to the Tx. The adapter will now only work in one of my two USB ports (the one that it was connected to when I installed the software). USB now works on my laptop but only on one of the USB ports.

If you installed the adapter software correctly perhaps you should plug your adapter into a different USB port.

Hope this helps.

Ron
Old 02-19-2005, 12:28 AM
patternrules

Ok we got it running tonight but the main menu has problems, it's hard to move the cursorbut if you ever get it to hit fly it works fine till you back to the main menuand the background on main menu has different flashs of black no real patern to it just random blackdesigns.
Thanks
Steve maxwell