Community
Search
Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

The Video Card Issue-revisited!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 06:26 PM
BROKENAGAIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Video Card Issue-revisited!

Numerous different video cards have been mentioned, but obviously some will work better than others. Depends on what you spend.

I would find it really helpful if someone would be kind enough to suggest a couple of different cards at each of the following levels?

BASIC: Will run AFP OK- not the bare minimum.
GOOD: Will run AFP well-most/all features enabled. Good frame rate.
GREAT: Will run AFP superbly.

Hopefully, others would find this helpful too.
Thanks
Old 01-13-2005, 12:29 AM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: The Video Card Issue-revisited!

Unless someone does benchmarks for AFPD with a bunch of video cards it's really hard to say what should be recommended for the midrange cards and below.

If you want to spend $300 and up for a video card you shouldn't have any problem running AFPD in all it's glory. There's alot to choose from so that's also hard to say. You can always goto ATI's and Nvidia's websites and read up on some of the cards in there and then google the card to find more info in some reviews on different sites and see what they have to say in the tech forums.

Another important issue that it seems most people don't understand is that you should have your computer running as efficiently as possibly. My video card doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for AFPD and i have no problem running it.

There's a long list of things that can be done to get a computer running more effectively. It's too bad there isn't a tech forum here because it would help out alot of people.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:55 AM
BROKENAGAIN

Thanks for the input.

I realize that $300 gets you a card that will be perfect. I also assume that under $100 doesn't get you what you need. I guess like many others, I want to know whether there are cards in the $100-$200 range that will run AFPD well?

Out of interest, what lower end card do you use that works fine?

You also wrote:

"Another important issue that it seems most people don't understand is that you should have your computer running as efficiently as possibly. My video card doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for AFPD and i have no problem running it.

There's a long list of things that can be done to get a computer running more effectively."

Can you be more specific?
Old 01-13-2005, 05:03 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

Broken, i know you would like to see a list of cards that will run AFPD in the mid price range but it's hard to even do that. If you buy the card online it will most likely be cheaper than buying at a retail store unless it's a big chain like Best Buy, CompUsa, ect. And if you buy it at a smaller retiail store then you have to take into consideration the cost if you are going to have someone else install it because many will charge you for the installation not to mention the retailer usually sells the crads at a higher price than online. So the price can very depending on whether you are going to do all the work or if someone else is.

One way to get a better idea is to goto the bestbuy website and look at prices and see if they meet the AFPD requirements and then go from there. Or goto other stores websites and check out there prices.

What it comes down to is that everyone should do a little research on different cards that they are interested in and then ask questions. There are so many variables to think about with so many different configurations in peoples computers that it makes it hard to gave a straight answer unless the specs are listed.

As far as making your computer run more efficiently there are alot of settings to play with and it's hard to list all of them and explain how to do it but i'll just start off with a small list of things that can be done.

1. Having programs running that are only needed ...example you don't need a firewall or antivirus running while using afpd
2. install drivers for mobo, video card, sound card, etc....keep in mind just because you have the latest drivers for something it doesn't mean that it will make that component work better than an older driver. sometimes you're better off using an older driver
3. it would be a good idea for some people to reformat then install all over again
4. make sure you are virus free and use more than one virus program
5. same goes for spyware
6. defrag your computer

There are other tweaks but i can't think of them right now and knowing how to go into the BIOS and tweaking in there but that's not recommended unless your're familiar with changing system settings.

Thats the best i can do for now.