Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software > Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators
Reload this Page >

AFP Options: Laptop with no Serial Port

Community
Search
Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

AFP Options: Laptop with no Serial Port

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Trisquire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFP Options: Laptop with no Serial Port

I just got an IBM T42 laptop which does not appear to have a Serial Port. It does however have USB ports. I'm using the old AeroFly Pro which is intended to be used with Serial Ports not USB.

I tried plugging my G2 controller into the USB port but, as I've seen mentioned elsewhere, AFP doesn't seem to recognize it. Do I have any options with either my transmitter and the Serial Port cable or the G2 controller?

I don't think the PC is powerful enough for AFP Deluxe.

Regards,
Tom
Old 01-14-2005, 01:03 PM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: AFP Options: Laptop with no Serial Port

A friend in the same boat got a Radio Shack USB to serial port adapter. Installed it, plugged the AFP cable into it, and it worked great. Just do a Google on "usb to serial cable", and you will come up with a bunch of them for less than $20. Radio Shack wants over $40!!

Jon Lowe

ORIGINAL: Trisquire

I just got an IBM T42 laptop which does not appear to have a Serial Port. It does however have USB ports. I'm using the old AeroFly Pro which is intended to be used with Serial Ports not USB.

I tried plugging my G2 controller into the USB port but, as I've seen mentioned elsewhere, AFP doesn't seem to recognize it. Do I have any options with either my transmitter and the Serial Port cable or the G2 controller?

I don't think the PC is powerful enough for AFP Deluxe.

Regards,
Tom
Old 01-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Trisquire

Jon,

Thanks for the help. The adapter did the job. I bought one at Micro Center for $15.

Regards,
Tom
Old 02-18-2005, 08:41 AM
combat1

I have loaded AFP on my Dell laptop. Software wont read my controler ie.( G2 or Futaba). Also the cable that comes with AFP
will not hookup to my Dell its a 15pin female and cable is 9pin female. I have also purchased a micro plug for the new Futaba
radio from OMP micro end is ok but there is no way to plugin the other end.
Any information or advice would be nice.
The AFP works great on my desktop pc so i know it is something im missing. On the laptop the program come up but it is jerky
and searches for control and locks up.
Thanks
Old 02-18-2005, 09:10 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

You need a 9 pin female to USB converter.

Something like this will work.

http://sewelldirect.com/USBtoSerial....ch_type=search
Old 02-18-2005, 12:40 PM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

I'm a freind of combat1 and he did purchase the Radio Shack adaptor cord, and it won't reconnize the controller, I'm sure it is just a configureation problem after he downloaded the patch for AFP it started working better just won't reconize the contoller, we're trying to get this going for a Mall show tomorrow where we always have a big screen projector and let people at the mall try flying the sim, we have used G2 in the past but Mike likes the AFP much better as do many others, would be good exposer for the AFP, any help would be greatly apprecated.
Thank You
Steve Maxwell