Community
Search
Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

Sailplane feature requests

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:45 AM
FallingWithStyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sailplane feature requests

First, great product! A real step up from thermal sailplane modeling in G2. I really like the sailplane sound, btw. Still, while the sailplane physics are there, it still lacks many tools for serious sailplane flying and training. Please consider adding these tools in future patches or releases. Thanks! (PS I also included some minor bugs in here as well)

* we need numeric guages to show real-time deflection (in degrees) for all of the control surfaces. Optimum sailplane trim and flap settings are measured to the degree, so the close up camera in the 3d window just isn't sufficient for setting up the aircraft (and there is no close up cam in the photo-scenes anyway). Perhaps you can add these guages to the "flight info" box you already have?

* when I select "english units" the wind speed control, etc on the options panel should change to "mph" and so on.

* I couldn't find the "airbrake" channel in the control mapping window. Maybe I just overlooked it?

* I'm pretty sure your engineers are smart enough to model a "hi-start" - it's just a spring. OK, add some weight to account for the line. Don't worry about trying to draw the line, but you may need to draw the parachute so we can tell when it has released. Don't worry about setting the anchor point on the map, just set it x feet in front of the plane in the direction the plane happens to be facing when we hit the launch key. That way we can turn the plane to face into the wind and just hit the key. We'll need an option panel to change rubber length and strength, line length, and stretch length. Note: this feature may seem silly but good flight times are directly influenced by how well you fly up the hi-start so it really is a key component of sailplane flying.

* we need a hot key that pitches the camera back down to level for a few seconds so we can figure out where our plane is relative to the local geography. The camera should return back to the plane within one or two seconds. This is so we can keep the plane upwind of the pilot. It is very awkward to use the mouse to steer the camera while we are trying to fly. Or is this already in and I overlooked it?

* why make thermals a mystery to the beginner pilot? Please add an option to show some kind of marker in the sky at the center of each thermal. I don't know how complex you want to try for showing the shape and size of the thermal, but at least put something at its center and maybe color it to show its strength. Imagine how useful of a training aid it would be to show beginner pilots how thermals rise and drift!! It will also help beginners see how the plane reacts in or near thermals so they can learn what to watch for.

Again great product and thanks for your attention!
Clark
Old 01-31-2005, 09:08 PM
ehart

Default RE: Sailplane feature requests

I'll second the request for a Hi-start simulation. That's how I launch my sailplanes. I don't know if it's that easy to simulate.

- Eric
Old 01-31-2005, 10:38 PM
micagreenmachin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the "hi-start" idea too...

How about a winch???

"we need a hot key that pitches the camera back down to level for a few seconds so we can figure out where our plane is relative to the local geography."

Or a small window off to the side that always shows the position over the ground, either top down or from the pilot's perspective? (maybe this is already a feature??? I dunno, I'm still learning the program.)
Old 02-01-2005, 08:22 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Sent the requests over!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Spacey

cjanes: Glad you invested in AFPD after all our chats Can you give me some tips on how to find the thermals on AFPD without using the variometer? Should I try moving CG and stuff like that or I am just not looking hard enough? Also can you share some of your settings please? Maybe some of the plane setting and simulation settings like wind etc?
Old 02-01-2005, 09:33 AM
FallingWithStyle

Thanks Dion!

Sure Spacey. Since this forum is reserved for questions to the support staff I'll start a new thread in the general simulator forum. See you there!

Clark