Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software > Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators
Reload this Page >

Tutorial for creating airfoils for AFPD

Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

Tutorial for creating airfoils for AFPD

Old 08-06-2005, 05:41 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tutorial for creating airfoils for AFPD

This was sent in from our good friend Pat Libby (designer of the new Yak-54 foamy and some of those great helis). He asked me to post this tutorial and hopefully we can get some discussion about it from the AFP(D) modelers and anyone else interested.

Thanks a lot Pat for this tutorial and I'm sure anyone who reads it and would like to create some of their own airfoils appreciates it!

Creating new airfoils in AFPD.

In the IPAC’s folder is another folder labeled “Aircraft.” Inside the aircraft folder is yet another folder labeled “Airfoils.”

#1 Open the Airfoil folder.

#2 Take any one TMA airfoil file then copy it and paste in the same location.

#3 Rename the TMA file what ever you like. (EXAMPLE: New Airfoil)

#4 Open the new TMA file in WordPad.

#5 Inside the TMA file at the very top you will see the airfoil name. Rename the airfoil within the quotes with no space between the quotes. The name must be exactly the same as your new TMA file.

[AIRFOIL]
Name = "New Airfoil"
#6 Delete all the number COORDINATES bellow the word [COORDINATES]

[COORDINATES]
1.00000 0.00084
0.99624 0.00116
0.98869 0.00179
0.98075 0.00244
0.97268 0.00310
0.96458 0.00375
0.95649 0.00441
0.94839 0.00505

#7 Paste your new coordinates in replacement of the old coordinates and “Save” file.

You’re done! The new airfoil will then appear in aerofly’s chooseable airfoils.

There are many ways to obtain airfoil coordinates. One way is to find them online like these sites.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...t-airfoils.htm

http://www.nasg.com/afdb/list-airfoil-e.phtml At this site just double click the airfoil you’d like and then click on Contour Data. The coordinates will then be listed. Select and copy only the numbers.

I also use airfoil plotting programs like Profili to design my own airfoils and then export the airfoil as a .cor file where I can open the file in wordpad and grab the coordinate’s numbers (copy and paste.) With this program you can also just export any of the existing 22,000 plus airfoils included in the program.http://www.profili2.com/eng/default.htm

If you plan to publish or sent your models remember to send the new .TMA airfoil file along with instructions on where to install them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24657.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	306224  
Old 08-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Greg.B

Default RE: Tutorial for creating airfoils for AFPD

Very nice work Pat!

Greg.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Lego_DK

Hi folks,
very good idea! And thanks to the good links!
But obviously the polar-values remain unchanged, so you get the new profil just _displayed_ in the editor, but the flight behaviour is equal to that profil you started off with...
I think we have to find out how to calculate the polars.

Greets,
Lego
Old 08-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Ian.W

hehehehe, i like it! tried a proper pylon racers wing secton on there, was a pig for 3D but flew fast
Old 08-17-2005, 11:21 AM
TWRC

Thanks’ Greg for your compliments. Sorry I’m so slow to respond

Lego,
I don’t know for sure exactly how Aerofly determines the flight characteristics
from one aerofoil to another. But I’m willing to bet it performs a polar analysis
based on the airfoil’s coordinates, much like several programs I’ve worked with. You say “ The flight behavior is equal to that profil you started off with”??????????? I have Performed several experiments such as starting with a custom flat bottom airfoil with a thickness of 18% and the CL@25% and ending with a symmetrical 8% thickness and the CL@ 30% and the differences were just like you would expect in true life. “Night and Day” The airfoils performed as expected. This is evident in my custom sailplane airfoils as well as some of my 3D airfoils. I have created a couple plank style flying wings in AFPD that are not even flyable if my reflexed airfoils are not used.
flight behavior is SOOOOOOOO affected. A funny thing that happened to me,
doing what Ian.W did and experimented with some very thin and clean pylon airfoils was able to unexpectedly crash aerofly after aerofly couldn’t deal with something. I assume maybe the 388mph had something to do with it
The same model with the Naca 0009 could only achieve 268mph.

AeroflyPro Deluxe ROCKS Bigtime. I love this program. The possibilities seem to be endless[8D] Dynamic water would be my next vote!

Pat

Old 08-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Ian.W

ORIGINAL: TWRC
I assume maybe the 388mph had something to do with it
Hi Pat, speed doesnt crash AFP, see my attachments

This is the aerofoil i used,

its an actuall pylon racer section (according to the pylon boys on this forum) yet it goes no faster than a very thin NACA section. Do you think AFP has less of an effect on sections than AFPD???

I also used this:

and it did quite well in 3D apart from it was a bit snappy inverted...

Ian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45147.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	311353  
Old 08-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Greg.B

OMG[X(]! 2083.4 mph![X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]......

Cars can fly but that's.......[X(]!

See my poor li' vid[]!: [link=http://www.streamload.com/Deliver/Deliver.asp?cxInstID=15770324&nodeID=1579127634&returnPage=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Estreamload%2Ecom%2FN odes%2FNode%2Easp%3FcxInstID%3D15770324%26nodeID%3 D1139463089%26alreadyCurrentTab%3Dtrue]The Flying Landrover!![/link]

BW

Greg.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:05 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

Thae landrover was awesome. Even though that was totally and 100% completely fake. I mean how in the heck are you gonna get that landrover in the gym?