Community
Search
Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

s, Windows XP Pro - AFPD crashes it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 11:46 PM
bdunsire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s, Windows XP Pro - AFPD crashes it!

Just bought AFPD - installed it - and when I start it, the intro screen hangs - NOTHING can get rid of that screen - PERIOD!!

But, starting AFPD a second time gets the program to work, although it is slow (of course) - 3.2 GHZ system - 2GB RAM - 500GB disk - etc..

But I must hard reboot windows XP Pro to get rid of the original intro screen - FWIW my Windows Pro systems usually runs for 60 days or more between boots!

SO - I went to the web site, and installed the patch - that was a MAJOR mistake!

Instantly crashes Windows when I try to start AFPD - I have never run into software that would kill windows XP Pro before.. amazing!

HELP !

Is the software this buggy for everyone? I did a lot of research before buying this, and never heard of problems like this. I am stunned.

I have searched their site, and here, for any help - since I have seen nothing, I'm sort of guessing my post and plea for help will disappear.. Before it 'goes away' - can anyone offer any suggestion? Or should I just get a software package that works with windows (amazing that this would have to be asked, in this day and age)

(FWIW- I have over 30 years in the software field, before I retired it was my career - I have 5 windows systems here at home, and one Linux, I want to run this software on Windows)

Help..

Bob
Old 12-06-2005, 01:34 AM
NdFrSpeed
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: s, Windows XP Pro - AFPD crashes it!

I use XP Pro as well,,works like a charm,,what the game is fussy about is Video board,,it takes lots of Video to run it properly..our computers are set up about the same too,,ive had AFP Deluxe for about a year now,,never did give me any trouble,,what Video card do you have,allmost sounds like some kind of conflict with software,oh you need at least Direct9X ,,makes it run better.

NdFrSpeed
Old 12-06-2005, 07:37 AM
looseskr3wz

Make sure you have the latest drivers (and directx version) for your video card.

In case you don't already know that.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:07 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: bdunsire

<snip>

Instantly crashes Windows when I try to start AFPD - I have never run into software that would kill windows XP Pro before.. amazing!

<snip>
You don't need to try hard to make windoze crash, just use it![>:]

My best guess is that your display subsystem is at fault. Try the reference drivers, if possible. Hope you get it fixed, this simulator is the best!

Mac OS X proves that it's easier to make UNIX pretty than it is to make Windows stable.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:54 PM
bdunsire

Thanks for the suggestions..

I did allow the install to add DirectX 9 - although I am certain I had it before. This system is just over a year old.

Video driver is up to date - NVideo Geforce 5200 - Drivers are all current - NEVER any problem with video or drivers. I have two 19 inch monitors attached - but again, never any problems with that / this / them.

I am pretty sure it is not video - just because once I have the Intro screen (hung), I can then start it again and use it - the annoying thing (well - the whole problem is darn annoying) is that the Intro screen is always on top - to I have to move it down so only the top 1/4 inch is visible.

As far as windows reliability - indeed, XP home, and every other flavour of Windows - sucked... I've been a PC user since 1982 (yep) - and Windows since it came out. But XP Pro - once I had all my software sorted (and I have A LOT) - has been incredibly stable - basically NEVER fails - but this software clearly has major problems. All my other systems here at home use other versions of Windows, and all have 'problems' - typical of Micr$oft software..

Still looking for Help...
Old 12-06-2005, 02:04 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Hi guys:

Am jumping in here just to follow the thread. Have a similar problem wth windows xp and Mcafee virus scan. Got rid of almost all of it when changin from AOL to SBC, but the prompt still comes up on occasion. Has got to be in the start up portion of Windows, cant find it anywhere else in the system after months of trying. Mcafee will not help because" You are not a current customer" Beieve me, I will never, ever be a future customer. Thanks
Old 12-06-2005, 07:19 PM
bdunsire

I have, just because it bugs me, been trying to resolve this a bit more.

The installation of AFPD installed DirectX9b - I had 9c, and since the problem exists, I went back to the more current DirectX - no difference.

NVidea has a newer driver (out Nov 22) - so I installed that - no difference.

I installed AFPD on a couple year old laptop - just 2GHZ - 1GB memory - and Win XP hom - no problems, and it actually runs quite a bit faster than on the 3.2GHZ system. (all Pentium processors). The hung intro screen is unkillable (reboot won't work via software because of it) - and clearly impacts in a negative way the performance of the software.

I do not want to use it on my laptop(s) - but sheesh!

Frustrating!

And no help from them that I can find.. I realize I have a pretty advanced setup on the XP Pro system - networks, etc. but I can't imagine that I alone have the XP pro problems - no word of it anywhere? WTH??
Old 12-06-2005, 09:02 PM
NdFrSpeed

WEll ill tell you your video card is marginal,,i used that at first then switched to a 9600,,now it flys,,and i mean fly,,FPS 150 to over 200

NdFrSpeed
Old 12-06-2005, 10:07 PM
bdunsire

I can accept that as part of the problem with the slow performance but .. the real issue is the hanging Intro screen, or the instant crashes of Win XP Pro. And that the 'official' fix results in software that INSTANTLY crashes Win XP pro - that should never happen.

Once running, although slower than my laptop the frame rate is still 50-60 - which is acceptable. The Laptop is 20% higher! And I have to believe that a lot of this is from the hung intro screen.

But XP Pro and this software, amazingly, do not seem compatible - how on earth a software company could have a product like this, without fixing it? To me this is just stunning!
Old 12-07-2005, 12:35 AM
NdFrSpeed

I to am useing XP PRO,,with no problems once so ever,,along with many others,,so i doubt very much if XP PRO is causeing the problem,,Dont know what to tell you,,but i can tell you i doubt very much if XP PRO is causeing the problem

NdFrSpeed
Old 12-07-2005, 11:10 AM
tdmodels

I agree with NdFrSpeed. I have been running AFPD on my XP pro machine (3.2GHz P4, 1GB ram, X700 graphics card) with no problems at all.

I did initially have problems when running the simulator, where after a minute of running it, it would reboot Windows for me [:@]. However, this ended up being a graphics card driver issue. Once updated all was fine and has been ever since.

The FX 5200 is not a very good card. I would suggest pointing the blame here first [&:]

Old 12-07-2005, 12:39 PM
bdunsire

Thanks guys - it does make me feel 'a bit' better that you run it fine on XP Pro.

I guess I really have no idea why you think the graphics card would cause the Intro screen to hang? Seems to me if that was the case, the resource would be tied up, and the second start would not function - AND - I can't imagine how the graphics card could hang something in such a way that full windows function remains, and the hung applet can't be stopped / killed / terminated. (But I very freely acknowledge my software expertise is NOT in Windows XP - so I guess this is all possible, but seems VERY strange to me).

Yes, I know the graphics card is not optimal for this software - but I didn't get it for games, and it does / would work. As mentioned, I have other (many) systems, where the software will work, but I want to use this XP Pro system.

I think I know what the problem is - not graphics - but still, that a well configured, and stable XP Pro system, would be killed by any app is just silly - and that they don't offer any way to get help, diagnose or resolve problems - a strange way to do business..
Old 12-07-2005, 11:02 PM
archiebald

bdunsire,
I run XP Pro and have been using AFPD with absolutely zero stability issues for the last 4 months. I run a 3GHz system and my graphics card is an Nvidia chipped Asus V9999 Ultra which I believe uses the Geforce V6800 GPU f memory serves. This system is filled with all sorts of other junk and runs Norton Antivirus. I run at 1280 x 1024 with antialiasing set up in the drivers on a 19 inch TFT at frame rates in the 200+ range. The only thing that slows the system down is if you are hovering 3D in front of you and the screen is filled with smoke. Can get as low as 30fps doing this. Normally I leave smoke off unless I am flying (attempting!!??) pattern aerobatics.

You say that you cannot contact IPACS but have you tried their forum? If you haven't already done so, try posting ALL the following details over there. http://www.ipacs.de/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=4

Note that the TM.LOG file is the most important for the to offer a diagnosis.

* Windows Version (98,ME,2000 or XP)
* Processor type and speed
* Graphic card manufacturer and type
* Sound card manufacturer and exact model type
* Amount of RAM
* AeroFly Professional version number (you can find it on the CD or on the main menu screen)
* Manufacturer and model type of your transmitter
* Any special software installed besides AeroFly Professional (e.g. Virus scanner and other Utilities)
* Please also provide us with the contents of the TM.LOG file in case of severe problems. The TM.LOG file can be found in the AeroFly directory, which is by default located at
C:\Program Files\IPACS\AeroFly Professional Deluxe\

If you read through their forum you will find that by far the most problems are caused by video cards or drivers. I would tend to agree with a comment above that a FX 5200 is probably the reason for your problems.

In addition, many odd and strange issues seem to stem from inadequate graphics. There are even tales of the controller not being recognized due to the graphics card being at issue.

Hope you get it solved, it is an excellent piece of software and has saved me a bundle in potential crash damage.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:57 AM
bdunsire

Thanks Archiebald - I have posted all the details on that site. Will let you know if I get any response there..

I'd be happy to update my video card (never needed anything more than two monitor support - games on run on other systems) - but of course at this point I have trouble imagining that is the problem.

I actually bought the software mainly so I can use it to teach a neighbour kid to fly - our weather has not been cooperating, and PC time will work for the cold winter here - but I have been having fun with the big gas 3d planes on AFPD, although the software bugs really annoy me. I have found the big gas planes to be very realistic, and I'm doing stuff much lower than I do with my real planes - which is a lot of fun, and not scary like the real things!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:23 PM
flymoor
My Feedback: (6)

I do not know what your problem is but it is not with afpd nor xp pro. I have both on a 840 Lattitude laptop, with all new drivers, and have absolutely no troubles, my graphic card is only 64 but still am in the 70's and 80's even with the most demanding of the scenerys. Hope you figure it out.
Rich
Old 12-09-2005, 11:11 PM
bdunsire

Yeah - Right :

..what your problem is but it is not with afpd nor xp pro
A Win XP Pro system that has been incredibly stable for as long as it has been on this PC - that basically NEVER crashes, never needs reboots - everything works (all the time).

And then AFPD is installed, their 'fix' applied, and the instant AFPD is started windows XP Pro crashes (every time - instantly - black screen - not even the 'blue screen of death') - Yeah - not the fault of AFPD - I guess it is just an incredibly amazing coincidence that my XP Pro system would choose that instant in time - EVERY TIME - just amazing, I guess I should buy a lottery ticket Start AFPD and Win XP Pro crashes - and we now know it is not because of AFPD, because someone runs AFPD on XP Pro (!) - holy smokes - really?

Of course it is a problem with AFPD - do you really thing an XP Pro system crashes (it has NEVER crashed before) and the program that was just started and instantly killed XP Pro is not the source or cause of the problem? Do you have any idea how hard they make it to kill XP pro ? How many production pieces of software have you every heard of that kill (every time) XP Pro - ?? It is uncommon (that is all I mean)

I'm really happy to hear that you have not had trouble with your AFPD sim - but it happens that software and operating system interactions can be and are pretty complex - just because you're lucky and have not had problems means nothing for others. Sheesh..

Sorry if I sound rude - your comment that it is not the software is worse than just silly... And having heard nothing from the vendor, or their support forum, this is annoying.. Nearly $200 for software that has basically no support? I will certainly let folks know my experiences with this..

Bob
Old 12-10-2005, 05:57 AM
NdFrSpeed

Ok,,Try this,,uninstall AFP Deluxe,,,clear it out,,reinstall,,but dont download the patch,,im not useing the patch and mine works fine with out it,,Try that and see what happens.

NdFRSpeed
Old 12-10-2005, 08:09 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Question, have you run all windows updates? SP2? XP Pro runs AFPD just fine.

What are the specs of your video card?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:39 PM
bdunsire

NdFr - I have actually re-done the install about a half dozen times - trying everything I could think of a sa way around the problem - where I am now - Original - non patched - install, I start it, and the Intro screen hangs (I have to hard re-boot to get rid of that - software will not kill the intro screen) - but I leave the hung screen - and move it onto the very bottom of my second monitor. Then I start AFPD again, and it runs - slower than I would expect, but it runs. And I am actually having a lot of fun with it.

My frustration comes in part from computer experience - this has been my field for 30 years (software and support) - so I have a pretty reasonable set of expectations - functioning software, support, etc..

STL - again - it runs, but only with the hung Intro screen, and only if I DO NOT have the 'fix' applied. I have truly never encountered software that would kill or hang in Win XP Pro like this - and I could not even guess at the number of programs I have used in XP / XP Pro -

Bob

My system is quite advanced - network hub, tons of software, but it is VERY stable, and it supports my other PCs (3 laptops, and 3 desktops - usually - sort of my hobby now, just my wife and I here at home most of the time). This system is NOT my web server, I don't have those at home - I pay pretty big bucks for my web servers, but that is completely different)
Old 12-10-2005, 02:49 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

But did you run windows update and install EVERYTHING they suggest?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:05 PM
bdunsire

This really amazes me - the only response I have from anywhere in my attempts to try to get help - are suggestions that I already do what I've tried. (I'm frustrated)

I do like the program but it just sucks that there seems to be no support for this product - if you have trouble, tough??? Try the obvios things - OH - tried them? well, try 'em again???

I am using it on a laptop - Win XP home - because it works fine there - but I really want to use it on my system with the big monitors.

I would be happy to buy buy new hardware if I had any belief that it would solve the problem - I mean I'd buy a different video and sound card - but I have to say that I don't believe there is any evidence those are the problem. Not saying they are not the problem, I just don't see ANYTHING to suggest (to me, 30+ years in this field) that hardware will solve the problem.

I guess I should send it back, and get new software that will work on my Win XP Pro system.. - but I like what I see on my laptop - and I hear that many get it to work on XP Pro - just sucks!

Bob
Old 12-13-2005, 02:15 AM
Spacey

I don't post in this forum much simply because my computer skills are relatively limited but I brought my flame suit with me this morning to the office as we're running near year end and things are rough so well I think I can post this here without getting hurt too much. Right now I know all the experts are going to laugh at me but here goes my little bubble of wisdom.

I have the same problem you have with the software locking up on the intro screen but this only happens when I have the interface cable plugged into one of the USB sockets on the front of the PC box. If I plug the interface into the back of the box into one of the supposedly faster USB ports it runs like a hamster on Energade. Another problem I have experienced is that the computer freezes up when I run AFPD with my memory stick also plugged into the front of the box. As long as I remove the memory stick before starting the software up I'm fine. Now also note in the back of my PC's Box I also have a Bluetooth USB device as well as my camera's little cable along with the AFPD interface and everything's happy. I don't know if you've tried this?

Oh and my computer at home is not your average home office machine. She's definitely on steroids so to say so hardware is not the problem. AND I do run XP Pro yes.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:48 PM
bdunsire

Thanks Spacey,

I am indeed using a front of the box USB port - but mine are high speed on the front too. I will try it on the back or other USB plugs, to see if that could change anything. It is such a pain to re-try the problem, I have to manually shut down everything in Windows, then I have to hard (immediate and bad) reboot.

I have actually tried a scary number of variations of Win XP Pro configurations related to MS service updates - to see if I could find the problem (thinking that was hinted as a source)

I have backed my XP Pro up to basic SP 1 - still hangs
- to SP1 with selected updates - still hangs
- SP1 with nearly all updates - still hangs
- SP2 will nearly everything on - still hangs
- SP2 with everything on - still hangs
In fact, nothing helps this software on my XP Pro system.

And - each of those configurations creates other problems / challenges for me, but NOTHING kills XP Pro except this software - and with their 'fix' unapplied - it is the only software I have ever seen that hangs as this does - truly amazing

And still VERY frustrating.. (this is support?)

Bob
Old 12-13-2005, 02:52 PM
bdunsire

That was pretty silly of me actually - not really thinking, just sort of desperate for something that would work.

Of course the problem was not resolved - the intro screen hangs WAY before AFPD is looking for attached devices - I did try with the USB connected to the back (rather than the front), and without it even being connected - of course none of that matters - when started the AFPD 'splash' screen hangs, and NEVER goes away. Nothing seems to fix that problem with XP Pro..

NUTS!
Old 12-16-2005, 07:28 PM
AirNerd

I just read the whole thread and I don't know how to help you but I just want to say sorry man and good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.