Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

New Gateway

Old 12-15-2005, 04:06 PM
rcbill
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Gateway

Hi Guys,
I need some help. I tried to use the Aero Professinal I bought about 2 years ago and had running in my old Gateway in my new Gateway and it will not run. I thought since the new computer can play movies that I would have no problem. just goes to show you how little I know about computers. The picture comes up on the monitor with beautifull graphics and sound. The problem is the plane does not correspond with the sticks on the transmitter. The attachment that came with in the box plugged right into the back of the computer so I thought I had it made. -DUH- Here is what my computer is made of.
Intel D proceser 820 with dual core processing both running at 2.8 Ghz 800 Mhz FSB 2x1 MB L2 Cache
Double Layer 16x Double Layer Format
8 in 1 Memory card reader
1024 MB DDR2
250 GB SATA HDD
I hope this makes sense to someone out there because I don't understand a word of it. If I have to buy a graphics card can someone suggest one the will get the job done. Any input would be appreciated. Bill
Old 12-15-2005, 08:21 PM
glennb007

Default RE: New Gateway

Did you set up the control type and calabrate you Transmitter? This sets up each channel as to function and direction of throw. you may have to reverse some of the channels. The computer is fine but you did not mention the type of graphics card. Is it built into the motherboard? What you have should run fine. I have a 2 ghz machine I built which runs the Aerofly Professional Deluxe very well with a lot less memory. 512 meg. I have a Nvidia Graphics card with 512 MEG DDR memory. If you have to buy a card make sure it has the Nvidia chip on it and at least 256MB DDR memory. WWW.tigerdirect.com is a good source and good pricing.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:39 PM
rcbill

Yes I calibrated the sticks on the computer and everything else. I tried to eliminate trees and stuff like that also. It has a beautiful picture and sound but like I said it doesn't correspond to the sticks. It seams like it's in slow motion. I just thought that if it played DVD's so easily that it should have enough speed to run the Ikarus. It worked great on my old Gateway and that was only 1.4 gig compared to the 2.8 gig speed I have now. I also have a lot more memory now. I don't know what kind of graphics card it has. I don't even know how to find out. I figured whatever it is it must be better than my old computer. Evidentally I was wrong. Does the newest Ikarus have a differant plug in for the transmitter or are they the same with the serial port? I see some joysticks now use the USB port. Bill
Old 12-15-2005, 11:13 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

Bill,
What model of gateway is it?
You might also conntact Gateway and ask them what kind of video card and or expansion abilities that you
have with it.
Hopefully you will have either a AGP slot or a PCI-Express slot in the computer so that you can upgrade your video card as that is what the
probme sounds like. You have plenty of hoursepower and memory in that system but the weak point is most likley the video card.
I personaly like the Nvdia cards over ATI but that is because of install issues I have had with ATI and their driver support.
I would look at a 6600 or 6800 card with at least 128 meg of ram, if you can afford it get a card with 256 meg of ram.
John

Old 12-16-2005, 03:39 PM
rcbill

My Gateway model is a GT5012 personal computer
It sort of looks like I'm going to have to take it into a computer geru and have him install a graphics card.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:33 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

Bill,
From the specs at Gateway you have a PCI express slot available for upgrading the system.
The card that came with it is built into the motherboard, this is good and bad.
How much do you use the media center functions that came with this computer?
If you do not use them that much than upgrade to a nvidia PCI-Express video card.
If I remember right do not get a All In Wonder ATI card as they do not work with Aerofly.
Check the main website or OMP's website for recommended video cards and ones that are
not recommended too. The hardest part will be disabling the onboard video card.
John
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...CZG1sp25.shtml
Old 12-17-2005, 12:52 AM
rcbill

The only thing I would need on this computer would be the Aero program. I will definitely check into the video card you mentioned. I don't think I would venture to try to install anything myself unless it were really simple. I don't want to screw this computer up. If I have to buy a board I will print all the suggestions out and go talk to someone that can get this thing going without screwing it up. Thanks Bill