Community
Search
Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

AFPD Blues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 06:29 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFPD Blues

Win98SE
1 GB memory
2.4Ghz Pentium 4
Ti4400 card with 128mb of memory
DirectX 9.0c
All Virus Scanners and other running programs stopped
Program is installed on my G drive and there is plenty of space there.

I installed AFPD clean, then ran Add on Disc 1 so it updated AFPD to 1.9.1.1. Plugged in USB cable, Human Interface Device driver installed for same. Plugged in JR 9303 Tx, started AFPD, Screen came up with the Christian Eagle on it but 2 problems:

1. It says that it can't find the interface cable. I tried different USB ports, including the one I use with my RealFlight controller, and I still get the same message. When I click search, it still finds nothing.

2. The cursor doesn't move very well. I move the mouse, the cursor stays where it is and then jerks to a new spot. Yes, it is acting as if it were low on memory or just slow. When I quit AFPD, the machine runs just as fast and fine as it usually does.

I'm glad that the program works for other people but seems like a piece of junk to me. I meet all the system requirements, so it should run and I did a total clean install with no extraneous planes or scenery from the internet.

Is there any sort of fix for the not finding the interface? Why won't it find it when Windows does? Very strange behaviour for a product that should be fairly mature.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: AFPD Blues

GBR2 don't give up. I understand your frustration. I just purchased and installed AFPD and it has been flawless. It is a great sim. Very realistic.
I will PM you with the name and number of a AFPD tech. Do you have a add on Microsoft Service Pack installed. SP 1? Might have to uninstall it, install AFPD and then reinstall the SP 1. ??

Call the tech.

Jim
Old 01-16-2006, 02:50 AM
rc-rodeo

Hi,

regarding point 2:
Obviously OpenGL support is not installed or active.
Please visit www.nvidia.com and download latest driver for your graphics board.

Regards
Karl-Heinz (Rodeo)
www.rodeo.onlinehome.de
Old 01-16-2006, 09:34 AM
GBR2

I don't see why OpenGL wouldn't be active, I usually use 3D Pipes as a screen saver and its an OpenGL program. The OpenGL dll is installed. Will look further into though.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:55 PM
bitikofl

For what it's worth, I had the same symptoms you described, jerky curser and wouldn't recognize my controller. After I downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA everything works great! This is a fantastic sim.
Lauren
Old 01-22-2006, 07:12 PM
The PIPE

Perhaps you might have "too much RAM in your system"...!

Dear GBR2:

The PIPE Here once more...I've got a homebuilt PC with an Abit KV7 motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU, 512 MB of Mushkin "2-2-2" spec DDR RAM, and a GeForce 5700 video card in there...

...mostly so I'll be able to run AFPD on it (the shipment is on its way as I write this...) !

There IS a general advisory against TRYING to run MORE THAN 512 MB of hardware RAM on your system within Windows 98SE...which my PC is also running (no interest in WinXP as yet...I CAN get it for a decent price online)...

and if you look at...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;253912

you MIGHT see something there that COULD be causing your problem(s) with AFPD !

Just thought I'd let you know about this...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-24-2006, 09:07 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Go into control panel - game controllers.

Can it see the cable there?

Many of time we get the same ol "this is junk" but turns into a simple windows glitch. The sim is proven on all platforms after 98 with no problems.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:30 PM
GBR2

I finally got the program to run. Not sure why either. All I did was to go into the Advance section for the drivers and turned on the ability to manipulate the various advanced parameters but didn't change anything. Doing this doesn't active anything it just allows you to change things if you want. In any case, later that night I fired up the program, the main screen now worked properly, it recognized the cable and got to calibrate the controller (JR 9303). The sim then ran just fine, finally.

AFPD still has a problem on my machine though. The simulator runs fine, I get about 128 fps, can get to aircraft, scenery and so forth. However, EVERY time I exit the program I get an error box that says:

AFPROD caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff88396.
Registers:
EAX=c00301a8 CS=0177 EIP=bff88396 EFLGS=00010216
EBX=0b97ffec SS=017f ESP=0b87fed8 EBP=0b880050
ECX=00000000 DS=017f ESI=00000000 FS=1a97
EDX=bff76855 ES=017f EDI=bff79060 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
53 56 57 8b 75 10 8b 38 33 db 85 f6 75 2d 8d b5
Stack dump:

I can't close the box and when I shut down the machine it then hangs at the Windows is shutting down screen, causing me to use the power button to shut off the computer and then do a scandisk when I reboot. Fairly annoying. I am turning off almost everything (virus checkers, firewall, etc., etc.) before I start AFPD but I still get the error box on exit from the program. So sent of the tm.log file and a description of the problem to Ikarus but no answer so far. Anyone else have this problem and know how to solve it?

One thing I don't understand. If I use a plane with a tail wheel, it steers perfectly fine on the smooth runway but doesn't steer at all on the grass. The roughness setting is as it came, is it just to high?? All my real planes steer just fine on grass.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:55 PM
GBR2

Just got a reply from Ikarus, specifically from Hans, according to him the error message I am getting when I exit the program is: "the program fault after exit is a windows 98 problem"

Despite the fact that AFPD causes the page fault, they have basically washed their hands of the situation. So does everyone who uses AFPD with Win98SE always get this error when they exit the program? If so, I would have thought I'd have seen that posted numerous times. If this is a known problem, why don't they make the consumer aware of it BEFORE they purchase the program? They say it is compatible with Win98 and to me that means it plays nice with the operating system and doesn't cause errors. Obviously, not the case.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:24 PM
eeeeky

i had the exact same prob! trust me get the newest version of openGL and instal it, it willl work great if all goes well!