Community
Search
Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

How to simulate altitude?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:27 PM
dlc60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to simulate altitude?

Hi all,

I've been spending a LOT of time on the simulator now to get a bit better. I live at 5000 feet so air density is down several percent and engines are about 15% less efficient up here. Air friction is lower, but so is lift. I've looked at modifying planes in AFPD but I'm afraid that I'm not a simulator programmer nor an aerospace engineer so I'm kind of baffled by what I see there. Controls I see missing are more general like lift efficiency on the wings and horizontal stabilizer. I only see lift functions on the fusilage, which makes sense, but why not the wings?

My best guess right now is to just make the plane about 10% heavier and reduce the fusilage lift factor a bit. It does make things a bit more realistic, but I need to increase the stall speed, maybe by reducing the wing size? I'm not sure what to do with that.

Any suggestions folks have will be gleefully accepted!

Adding wind, which is our constant companion here in Colorado, is quite entertaining, and very well simulated, especially while landing. I have to kind of guess from whence the wind comes by its affect, which can be difficult when you really have it cranked up!

This is fun, and there is quite a bit of room for improvement too, I look forward to furture releases, like one to show us stick positions for various things done by the pros!

Having fun (Nice work AFPD guys!)
DLC

Old 05-25-2007, 08:31 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to simulate altitude?

DLC, in the current version there is no way of simulating high altitude or high temperature effects in AFPD, we always use the standard atmosphere values. This issue is on our new features list for coming versions.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:33 AM
dlc60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rajul

DLC, in the current version there is no way of simulating high altitude or high temperature effects in AFPD, we always use the standard atmosphere values. This issue is on our new features list for coming versions.
Thanks Mike,

Can you tell me when a patch/update might come out that does simulate environmental conditions like mine?

What all is in the new Starflight upgrade? Does it add more than just a bunch of models and scenery? The marketing blurbs aren't very descriptive.

thanks,
DLC
Old 05-25-2007, 12:21 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Starflight is not an upgrade. It is an add-on of aircraft and sceneries.