RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ikarus-aerofly-flight-simulators-337/)
-   -   Had AFPD V5 but (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ikarus-aerofly-flight-simulators-337/10457279-had-afpd-v5-but.html)

gordyd4 04-11-2011 05:43 PM

Had AFPD V5 but

I had AFPD but the dongle died; I have my doubts they will replace the dongle and if they tell me to buy another, well, maybe we should just switch and try G5 since the LHS has them for 170 buck right now.

What do you guys think of the Real Flight G5.5?
Is it user friendly?
Do you have to have the expansion packs to get better planes? For example I want several 40% planes, mono wing and Bi Plane, Hempels planes, you get the idea.

Thanks Guys!

DMcQuinn 04-11-2011 08:08 PM

RE: Had AFPD V5 but

AFPD replaced my dongle for free, but I had to ship it to Germany. It was many years old. Also, sometimes it is just a bad solder joint in the cable. check this very closely

gordyd4 04-12-2011 01:05 PM

I did not want to remove the heat shrink, but I thought about it. I am hoping they take care of it. I have a dongle for my cad/cam program and it is 13 years old and not ever a problem. I have an opinion about the dongle myself, but will wait to express my opinion until they do or don't replace it.

I liked the AFPD, but I have never had the RF. I'll wait a bit to find out what they are going to do.

Is the new AFP dongle the same large bulky cable as the last one? I'd prefer to just have a usb plug for the computer that I can plug into the back of it, then use another usb for the controller. I don't know if the multi-player connector is a dongle, if it is, that would work great too.
There is just no reason to have that big cable with the new technology.

gordyd4 04-25-2011 05:30 PM

They have told me that 4 years is too old and I will have to buy another. Outrageous! These cables should last many more years than that; I searched and found there are a lot of people whom have had Ikarus cables fail. I'm gonna make an issue of this; first, the company I bought if from, OMP is going to get an email. I've spent thousands there and I will express my dissatisfaction.

ezilonis 04-27-2011 07:57 AM

Go for Realflight5.5 or Phoenix3... IMO both are better.

Ifeel like Phoenix is my go to sim for Heli's... RFseems to be my fav for planks

gordyd4 05-05-2011 08:23 PM

Since Ikarus screwed us on our cable and wanted us to buy a new one, I decided to buy Real Flight 5. All I can say is wow. The old AFPd was better years ago.
Now with the upgraded Real flight 5, it is way better than Ikarus hands down. It is very capable and the flight is very realistic. Real Flight's customer service was excellent. Ikarus customer service, well......poor at best.