Columbo Anderson 38% Extra

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Columbo Anderson 38% Extra

Old 07-28-2003, 06:04 PM
little xtra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Columbo Anderson 38% Extra

has anyone out there have this plane and if so,could you please let me know what you think about the plane,flight performance,weight and cannister friendly?meaning, have you installed cannisters in the plane?
Old 07-30-2003, 11:22 PM
A320driver
My Feedback: (1)

Getting close to finishing my kit, yes I have cannisters installed.
I went with the MTW cannisters from Dessert aircraft. I'm using a DA150 engine, the headers were welded up from the kit parts that you also can get from DA. I'll put up a post as soon as I have it up and flying.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:27 PM
little xtra

Default extra

sounds great,i think i am going to order mine this up coming week,i think i have my buddy convinced to buy one as well...on a scale 1-10,how much work was done to get the cans in...i heard you have to drop the Landing Gear Plate to get the cans installed level?just curious,how heavy??Thanks,Joe
Old 08-05-2003, 02:43 PM
A320driver

No modifications anywhere. I just glued the mounting plates that MTW make, two for each cannister. One goes in the opening in the F2 former, the one was trimmed down slightly and was fixed on the top of the landing gear plate. For cooling I am leaving the bottom of the fuselage open between the back of the landing gear plate and former F4. You will have put in some thin balsa sheeting over some of the lightening holes in order to force the air around the cannisters. As for weight, the cannisters and headers come out at almost 1lb heavier than using stock mufflers.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:38 AM
little xtra

Default progress

just curious if you got any pics yet of the set-up?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:16 PM
A320driver

Drop me a private message with your email address and I will be happy to send you some pictures. I can't post anything because as of yet I have no program to make my picture files small enough for the RCU format.
Tony
Old 08-18-2003, 01:15 AM
deweyd
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ca extra

little xtra
I have a 34% columbo extra . I have been flying in the NC IMAC contest and i have been doing verywell with the plane in the sportsman class. I have can's in mine and it took some mods to put them in ,but the 38% has cut out for cans to go through the fuse . I have seen one fly and it does very well. The 38% slows down nice on the vertical downlines and it looks really nice in the air. I may build a 38 % next year deweyd
Old 06-30-2004, 05:17 AM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Default RE: Columbo Anderson 38% Extra

A320driver

I am building a 38%'er right now and would love to see how you installed your cannister mufflers on this plane. I thought it might be best to do the mods before I get too far into building the fuselage. My email address is: [email protected] if you wouldn't mind emailing me the pics as well.

Thanks a million in advance.

Dave