IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

IMAC Newbie Questions

Old 08-14-2003, 02:01 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMAC Newbie Questions

Hey Guys,

I have been flying freestle/3D for the past 4 years and "sunday flying for the past 9 1/2 years. The other day a few guys were at the field and watched me fly and they were trying to convince me to fly IMAC. It didnt take much conviencing before I cheerfully agreed to compete starting in Jan. of next year. I have read over the rules trying to figure out what plane I could fly in the sportsman class and I ended up going with the 33% Sukhoi from Hanger 9. I came close to buying a 40% kit but that would put me too far away from flying it. I noticed the rules said something about a pilot figure. Is the points they take off really worth the weight or expense of the figure? I have never really liked the way they look anyhow.

P.S. I will see you at the Joe Nall Masters (of course I will probobly be just watching )
Old 08-14-2003, 04:55 PM
Baron Johnson

It may not seem important now in the early stages of your IMAC career, but when you get competitive (could be your first contest, could be a year), that slight penalty could decide a close contest.

Glad you're going to fly in the SE region next year! See ya at a contest sometime.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:34 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default Weight $ or Penalty

The penalty is for missing either or both a pilot or dash panel. In the plane you have chosen you wouldn't notice the difference (unless constructed of solid lead).

The following is from the AMA rules:

5.5 A realistic 3 dimensional human pilot and viewable
instrument panel shall be appropriately installed in all Scale
Aerobatic aircraft. (A one (1) percent flight score penalty will be
assessed for non-compliance.)

While this may not seem like a lot it will become a factor as you progress.

EXCAP232
Old 08-14-2003, 09:04 PM
southern_touch9

I guess I will search for an ultra light weight pilot figure and an ultra light weight dash
Old 08-15-2003, 02:55 AM
painly
My Feedback: (4)

what amde you pic the sukoi?
Old 08-15-2003, 03:01 AM
southern_touch9

I like the way it looks and I found a great deal on it. I have also seen it fly and read a lot of good things about it. And so many people are flying edges, CAPS and extras I figured I would be a bit different. I really wanted a YAK but I didnt want to wait on the shipping from Extream Flight R/C.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:37 PM
painly

interesting. i too wanted to get a sukoi. REAL bad, but i also want to fly freestlye (3d type stuff) with it along with imac, and i havent found any info that H9's is suitable for that, do you have any insight for me?
Old 08-15-2003, 06:36 PM
southern_touch9

Well just this past weekend I saw greg grantham ( a local IMAC / 3D guy who you better watch out for in the SE region) fly a H9 Cap 232. He put on an awesome show with it. Examples : REally low harrier rolling circles, torque rolling in circles around himself, harrier tail touch and goes, waterfalls, all of the stuff that I have seen huge 40% edges and 330's do. Given the plane didn't look like it was as stable in the manurers but It did do all of them very well!! I decided then that I was going to go 1/3 scale so I looked around and found a good deal on the H9 Suhkoi from odessarchobby for $550 (it was there weekly special and might be over with by now??). I emailed a few good 3D pilots to see what they said about it and all of the reactions seemed to be positive. I then went to www.3dbatix.com and took a look at the video on the 2nd page of the sukhoi 3D'ing. It seemed to handle all of the stuff very well. I read over the specs on the plane and it just seemed to all add up to be a good 3D airplane. It has Large control surfaces that are double beveled, a pretty good tail moment and a decent weight for its size. I figured it would be a good place for my IMAC career to start at so I bought it. If you are looking for something unique that will do all out 3D and have more patience that I do then wait a few months on the Extreme Flight YAK. All I have to say to defend this statment is, Ququie flies a YAK! And I think Extreme flight rc will be a great company and their products look Jam up!! My next big plane will probobly be one from them!! But until then I am going to fly the sukhoi.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:25 AM
painly

wow thanks for all the info!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 07:34 PM
southern_touch9

Would you guys suggest that I start next season in Basic or Sportsman? I have never flown IMAC before but I have been flying for 9+ years, and I can do all the 3D stuff.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:50 PM
EXCAP232

Default Entry level IMAC

Originally posted by southern_touch9
Would you guys suggest that I start next season in Basic or Sportsman? I have never flown IMAC before but I have been flying for 9+ years, and I can do all the 3D stuff.
Take a look at the sequences first. Most contests don't have the basic class fly freestyle so you wouldn't have a chance there. If you are comfortable with the Sportsman sequence then start there. It is actually what Basic was a few years back.

EXCAP232
Old 08-18-2003, 10:39 PM
Baron Johnson

Freestyle is a seperate event open to anyone and everyone. I think you may have it confused with the Unknown round, which Basic does not fly.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:35 AM
EXCAP232

Default Asleep at the wheel

Originally posted by Baron Johnson
Freestyle is a seperate event open to anyone and everyone. I think you may have it confused with the Unknown round, which Basic does not fly.
Thanks Baron for the correct information. I must not have had enough coffee yet!

EXCAP232
Old 09-17-2003, 05:34 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Weight $ or Penalty

I have seen that before. If I score all 8's in the sportsman routine, what will that mean to me if I get this penalty?

ORIGINAL: EXCAP232
The following is from the AMA rules:

5.5 A realistic 3 dimensional human pilot and viewable
instrument panel shall be appropriately installed in all Scale
Aerobatic aircraft. (A one (1) percent flight score penalty will be
assessed for non-compliance.)