Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

GP extra330L...any thoughts?

Old 08-16-2003, 09:24 PM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default GP extra330L...any thoughts?

Looking a building the Great Planes 1/3 extra330. Looks light, but not sure if ZDZ80 w/ 26x8 will be enough. Anybody out there with experience with this plane?....I have yet to see it any IMAC events...that worries me.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:48 PM
cesna182r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the reason u havent seen one is because arfs are so cheap and easy 2 build u pay $300 4 a plane u half 2 build that takes a month or more or u spend $800 on a arf u can get ready in a week . i have a gp extra that flew in imac last year and it did fine with a zdz 80 the plane came in at 22# it should be fine there are 2 flying in our region the planes designer flys in the north central region witch i belong 2

tony
Old 08-17-2003, 02:07 AM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

I built one, came out under 22lbs with ZDZ 80 26x10, flies well.
It is a totally built up plane which helps with the weight but requires a bit of work to build especially with the sheeted sides
which are then cut for the wing to slide in.

Under repair after a midair accident.
For the price it is not bad if you can build and have the time and no rush.
otherwise the price of ARF's are competitiveas mentioned above.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:43 PM
bdawg50

Flies great w/ ZDZ 80. The one I flew was even on the heavy side because he painted it. It still was an excellent performer. If you don't mind building, go for it. The building effort is the only reason you don't see it any more than you do in IMAC.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:23 PM
Cody-RCU

The reason that you don't see this very often in IMAC is because there are so many other airplanes out there that are so much better. I had one, and the wing folded up on the seventh flight. D-tube wing construction is just not strong enough for a plane this size. The wing folded up in a wall, but the plane should have been able to take that. The plane would have experienced much more stress in a hamfisted pullout of a botched sequence. The hardwood spars actually split; the glue joints were solid. Totaled, of course.

Also, when in knife-edge, the enormous fuselage would sometimes blank out the rudder, thus making it a little unpredictable. I had a ZDZ 80 single in mine and it was plenty.

I now fly an AeroWorks 31% Extra 300L (kit built), and not only does the wing remain intact, the plane flies oh so much better. The kit is more expensive, but the better flight performance and stronger structure is worth it. It is incredibly smooth, with no rudder blanking in knife-edge. The ZDZ gives this airplane plenty of power. It flies so much better than the Great Planes Extra.

Ann Marie did offer to look over the remains of the airplane, but we waited too long before sending it to her and she left Great Planes. Besides, all she really could have given my father and I was another kit, and that was not something that we would have wanted. She was extremely supportive in her e-mail responses to me.

Bottom line, this plane might work for you if you strengthen it and don't plan on flying extreme 3D, but why bother? Just get a Carden or AeroWorks airplane and save all the trouble.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	103155_2166.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	57812  
Old 08-21-2003, 12:28 AM
cesna182r

and ive also seen 3 aero works edges fold up under presure
Old 08-21-2003, 03:27 AM
Cody-RCU

Can you be a little more general, please?
Old 08-24-2003, 12:48 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

I have been flying mine for 3 years now and it flies as if its on rails. I don't do 3D so can't comment on this type of flying.

Mine is powered with a ZDZ 80 Boxer and I wish I had a bit more power on those really hot days. But my engine installation is not as good as it could be. My headers are too long with the cannisters inside the fuse.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:30 AM
greenboot

I had my first 3 flights today with the ZDZ 80 and I'm totally in love with it. For three hundred bucks, I don't know why everbody doesn't get one of these beautiful kits. The ZDZ80 is perfect for the way I fly. At 22 lbs, mine flies slow and light. I'm sure you could do a good job in IMAC with this one. When the engine breaks in, I expect it will hover from time to time.

The controls are not as big as you'll find on the full blown 3D planes. If you plan to spend most of your time hovering, you might want something else or at least get a 100cc motor.

Another nice feature of this kit is the size. It's about 8" shorter than other 1/3 scale Exras. Don't know why, but it makes it lots easier to fit in my truck.

Cody, I can imagine your pain at losing the plane after 7 flights. How can you be certain the plane handles so poorly with so few flights? I suspect your appriaisal may be tainted by your grief. I'm not questioning your building or flying skill, but sometimes these things happen. At any rate, I'm glad you found another plane you like.

Tom
Old 08-24-2003, 03:09 AM
Cody-RCU

Tom, I understand your doubt in my criticism, and I really appreciate your encouragement. Asking me to reconsider while respecting my feelings is something that lots of people can not do, and I commend you for it. However, I flew that airplane, and then I flew the AeroWorks Extra, and I was blown away by the difference. I can also be sure of the odd knife-edge, I fought it every time I tried it. This was in high-alpha, low speed knife-edge. It was fine in high speed, low-alpha knife edge.

I did love the way the plane flew, even though the AeroWorks is better.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to fly gentle IMAC with a torque roll here and there, this might work for you. But I wanted a plane for extreme 3D, and this plane just didn't hold up.