IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Questions for an IMAC newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for an IMAC newbie

I have flown and competed in a few Pattern competitions, I have been bitten by the large airframe gas engine bug. I am going to be flying an 88" MX2, and 78" Extra
Next year and will be competing in a few Imac competitions. I have a good idea how to use the box and properly place my maneuvers, I understand the aresti and
can execute most of the maneuvers without too much problem (read, I need more practice). My questions are, When flying uplines and downlines is the maneuver judged on
the attitude of the airframe, or am I supposed to concentrate on the heading and straightness of the line?? in pattern when flying a dowline or upline in the wind, we rudder correct
to keep the line straight. The rudder correction usually causes the nose to head into the wind and the plane flys sideways while holding a straight line. the other question is when I am practicing Basic 2011, I usually takeoff and make a downwind trim pass, perform a turnaround, head upwind wag the wings at the box entrance and perform my first maneuver (roll) at the center of the box directly in front of me, is this a proper start for the sequence or am I doing it wrong??
Old 08-01-2011, 05:24 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Questions for an IMAC newbie

You shouldn't wag your wings to enter the box just have your caller announce "in the box or some just say box"
And you are correct the first manuver "roll" is done right in frount of you.
And your lines are judged on the line the center of gravity draws, not the attude of the plane.
When wind correcting the plane may be at an angle to the X, Y, or vertical axis in order to draw a straight line
Have fun

Larry S

PS you can make as many trim passes as you like but I wouldn't get carried away with that
Old 08-01-2011, 06:03 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Thanks Tail Stike, When I said trim pass, I mean a downwind pass and turnaround to set me flying into the wind for my first maneuver.
I do go hands off during this pass at cruise speed to verify trim but in pattern this is only allowed onc so I am used to getting it right in one pass.
Another question on basic 2011 is I see that the first few maneuvers have a
center box maneuver, namely the roll, reverse teardrop, and loop. after that we go into a sharks tooth, half reverse cuban and reverse sharks tooth.
there is no center box maneuver between these, should I shorten the box and perform these maneuvers closer to the center of the box or keep them
spaced out towards the end of the box?? The last two manuevers are the immelman and 1 1/2 turn positive spin, does the spin need to be on center??
Sorry about all the questions.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

you are right when there is no center manuver tighten up the sequence
One of the things you will be judget on is ASC air space control, so you will want to keep your manuvers in so they are presented well to the judges
Also you will be judged on throttle managment, or sound, that means don't go to full throttler on your horizontal lines and rip the prop and generally make a lot of noise
Here is the link to the IMAC web sit go to info Central and down to training we have a great training vidio should answer all yor questions.
http://www.mini-iac.com/

Larry S

Oh yes the spin should be centered
Old 08-16-2011, 08:11 AM
sewbusy

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for pointing some things out Larry...
Chris.... here is a link to some more information on the BASIC sequence that can be found on our training section
http://www.mini-iac.com/Portals/0/Ed...iles/frame.htm

I am sure you know much of this already...but it's always good to go back over them.
Regards,
Wayne