IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

aerobatic full scale airfoil

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Roberto B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: aerobatic full scale airfoil

Actually, scale. Definitely.
There are hundreds of clones already out there ready for IMAC.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The scale airfoil won't work on a model because of how lightly loaded they are. We just can't generate the pitch rate required to snap it well without losing a lot of energy. You have to generate a LOT of pitch rate to get the flow to separate and then you need a lot of yaw rate to get the autorotation going. We just don't snap our models with that technique.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:01 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as an absolute scale plane.. it will fly nice....

it will not fly 3D nor IMAC nice....

the scale airfoil will prolly be very benign... prolly a bit draggy.... but it won't be
a tippy rock.... I would say the scale airfoil is a bit like some of the RC Fun-Fly planes.....
Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Roberto B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'll have to change the flying style a little to better suit the plane.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder if someone could post a section view of a full scale IMAC section, and then a popular model airfoil section. It would be quite easy to see why one would react one way over the other with this reference.
One thing to keep in mind, as the planes get smaller, the accuracy of the shape diminishes. The most important aspect of this discussion is wing loading. An aircraft with a higher wing loading will always stall quicker. In spite of the shape of the section. Our models are extremely light, relative to the full scale.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I would tent to disagree with this to a point. Let's take an average 40% Extra as an example. A light example would weigh around 37 lbs and a heavy example would be 42 lbs. If the 42 lb model was set up with the scale airfoil, it would still have poor stall and snap tendencies incomparison to an airplane that has a more suited airfoil for IMAC. No matter what the weight the AOA to get the airflow to seperate from the wing will be the same.

As far as sections go, in the IMAC circles I have not seen anything to lead me to beleive that anyone is actually using actual plotted airfoils. I know some of the pattern guys are though. If you take say 10 different models you will most likely find 9 different airfoils. For the IMAC and pattern airplanes that I have designed, I simply set the high point of the airfoil at 30%, decided what thickness I wanted and drew what looked good.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:17 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I would tent to disagree with this to a point. Let's take an average 40% Extra as an example. A light example would weigh around 37 lbs and a heavy example would be 42 lbs. If the 42 lb model was set up with the scale airfoil, it would still have poor stall and snap tendencies incomparison to an airplane that has a more suited airfoil for IMAC. No matter what the weight the AOA to get the airflow to seperate from the wing will be the same.As far as sections go, in the IMAC circles I have not seen anything to lead me to beleive that anyone is actually using actual plotted airfoils. I know some of the pattern guys are though. If you take say 10 different models you will most likely find 9 different airfoils. For the IMAC and pattern airplanes that I have designed, I simply set the high point of the airfoil at 30%, decided what thickness I wanted and drew what looked good.