IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Giles 300 help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giles 300 help needed

On wed. of this week, I am about to purchase an Ohio RC Giles 300 with a Brison 3.2 motor. I will be primarily sport flying with the occasional IMAC event once or twice a year. My experience is..I currently fly a 40 size Extra, a 40 size P-51, a 40 size pattern plane, a 60 size aeromaster bipe and a 1/4 scale Cub. I fly well and have placed in local meets where the competition is very minimal. This will be my first experience with gas, and my first big plane, (with the exception of the Cub) and with nothing to compare it to, I'd like to hear from Giles flyers so that I may get a feel for what to expect from this plane. For example...does this plane exhibit any nasty tendencies...as compared to the ever popular Extra, or Cap, etc, or is it just as nice and capable a flyer. The Giles must have its own peculiarities and I would like to know of them before making the purchase. It seems curious that the Giles does not enjoy the broad level of use that the Extra and the Cap sees. However, the Giles is the deal being offered to me at the moment. Thanks for any and all contibutions to my learning curve.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:03 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Captain,
I don't have a Giles, but since noone else has helped you, I'll at least yack about your "almost" new plane.

The Extra, Cap, Giles, Edge, etc are very similar. I'm sure the pros can tell the difference, but to us sport fliers, they are VERY similar. I suggest you'll see differences due to weight, size, engine, CG, and control setup which are more significant.

What to expect? If you've never flown a plane this size, expect to be very happy with it! You'll find it's easier to fly than your other planes. Just allow more time and space to manuever since it will be moving faster than the other planes you mentioned.

Tom
Old 08-27-2003, 02:46 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Default thanks Tom...

My concern now is that 3.2 seems to be a lot of motor for this plane. Power is good, but excess wing loading weight can make for poor flying qualities. I guess I'll just have to give it a close look.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:27 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

I certainly agree with your concerns. Weight makes a huge difference. It depends on how you like to fly, some people like to go fast and don't mind extra weight.

I once bought a used 80" Extra with a Zenoah G45 and it was so heavy I sold the engine and scrapped the plane.

Tom
Old 08-27-2003, 12:41 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Giles are very capable airframes. IMAC and Freestyle are no problem. A few years ago they were it, they have moved to the bottom of the list in popularity mainly because they were early on in the availability list of models offered.

The overall weight is paramount with this and any model of course. The Giles are smaller as compared to other models in the real world and in the model world they typically end up with less wing area and thus are heavier when you directly compare them to other models as their equipped with the same equipment, but less wing area.

How heavy is the model your contemplating and what is the wing area?