Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

learning aerobatics correctly

Old 09-03-2003, 12:28 AM
Phantom Phixer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default learning aerobatics correctly

There used to be some videos on doing aerobatics, but I haven't seen anything for a long time.

There is a right way and wrong way, so how do you learn the right way if no one at your field knows or can teach you?
Old 09-03-2003, 10:30 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default Learning Aerobatics

Dave Patrick did a set of 3 aerobatic tapes that are no longer being produced. I spoke with him at the Toledo show a while back and he said that people were just making copies and that his return for the time invested just wasn't worth it. Really a shame as they did provide valuable information. You can check with your local club to see if a member would let you view thier set.

Chip Hyde has a single tape that does a good job with split screen views of the plane and transmitter that is usable.

Dave's book is still available on Aerobatics. Don's Hobby shop has 2 books available devoted to aerobatics that are quite useful.

Check the IMAC site for additional information: http://www.mini-iac.com/main.asp

And the pattern site: http://www.nsrca.org/
for flying and trimming (aircraft set up).

Hope this helps.

EXCAP232
Old 09-03-2003, 10:55 PM
Phantom Phixer

thanks for the who, I just briefly remember that they existed, and never thought I may want to explore this direction of transistion from Sunday flyer to a more serious level.

the web links are also greatly appreciated.

I'll look around and see if anyone has the videos for sale, and not the copies.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:07 AM
RCAIR-BAM

Default NJ

Phantom;
Where do you fly in NJ? If your local in know a great teacher.
Kevin
Old 09-04-2003, 02:36 AM
MSP1957
My Feedback: (1)

Check out www.rcflightschool.com This is Dave Scott's program. He is a full scale aerobatic pilot who also teaches rc aerobatics. He has decent aerobatic manuals, basic- Sport Aerobatic and more advanced-Precision Aerobatics. I am new to flying and use his manual with a sim then am able to perform them at the field. pm me if you have questions.

Michael
Old 09-04-2003, 10:11 AM
Phantom Phixer

kevin....I live in central jersey. I know about several of the clubs north of me, including the depth they have in imac and pattern.

It seems the depth of the experence you find flying at a field is in relation to the strenght of the club and the actual field.

I hope to go to the contest in PA this weekend to learn more about imac for next year.

whatever I do now is for next year, season is over and I was thinking of buying a sim for the winter

thanks for the help
Old 09-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Phantom Phixer

hey mike

do you find with flying experence a book helpful?

I have flow one sim that allows for changes in most catagories, but really didn't see the effects I expected.

I learnt to do a snap on top of a loop with a sim, and it worked well with one plane, but with all planes. found I was doing it wrong..duh

also the spin doesn't seem to be a realistic function of the sim I have, are you having better luck with your?

thanks for the suggestions, hope to hear how you progress.
what sim are you using?
Old 09-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Another way is to find an IMAC and/or pattern Event in your area. Go to it and fly in it....dont worry about winning, just learning at first. I suggest starting in basic -even if you are a really good sport pilot. You can always move up.

While at the event, get an experienced person to call for you and coach you. Also, spend a lot of time scribing for judges and getting feedback (after the flights) and why they scored what they did.

I also recomend the books from Don's Hobby - both are excellent!

Keith
Old 09-04-2003, 01:22 PM
RCAIR-BAM

Default Pocono Imac

Phantom;
Bring your plane out with you and fly it's the best way to learn. I will call for you if you would like too.

I am helping with the contest in some regards we will be there Friday from around 10 o'clock on setting up and flying. If not look for me I have a red and white Wild Hare Giles sponsored by Hobby Hut and a van with my company name R C Air on it, can't miss that one.

If you decide to fly or not if you come out you will have fun. If you come Sunday bring your plane and fly after the event. I will work with you or have some one else help out most guys in IMAC like to see new flyers starting out and will help anyway they can.
Kevin
Old 09-05-2003, 05:00 PM
Stratos
My Feedback: (4)

Default Central NJ?

Where exactly? I fly at the Edison field and belong to Central Jersey RCC (cjrcc.tripod.com).

I will also be at the Delaware Water Gap meet this weekend. Come and have some fun.

Stratos.-
Old 09-05-2003, 11:06 PM
Phantom Phixer

kevin.....thanks for the kind initation, I just got my plane and haven't a flight on it yet. If I had one day out with it I may have seriously considered your offer. I'll certainly look you up and thank you in person..

stratos....left message on your phone, we know each other, interesting opportunity so we should review our options.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Stratos
My Feedback: (4)

get off the line so I can call you back Bob... ;-)
Or call me when you are done. I'm home now.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:53 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

A couple buddies of mine and myself will be doing 3D/IMAC videos for beginners and short clips of each manuever and how to do them very shortly here...

the website is going to be released sometime within tommorow-tuesday i would say at the latest.

www.cafreestyle.com

We are just waiting for the domain name and the servers from around the world to update them so our site can be put up around the world.

Steven
Old 09-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Phantom Phixer

Default RE: Pocono Imac

glad we hooked up on saturday, the contest was an eye opener, and I learnt a lot.

weather has gone sour, but I still hope to get out with my plane before it gets too cold.

let me know when you expect to go back up there, maybe we go debug my plane

thanks again.

bob
Old 09-13-2003, 06:37 PM
RCAIR-BAM

Default RE: Pocono Imac

Bob:
Won't be out for a few weeks but I will let you know when we are going. Maybe we can get Stratos to go to.
Kevin
E-mail me so I can let you know.