IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

HobbyKing ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HobbyKing ??

I have never suscribed to this company, but keep getting pop ups. I guess like anything else, cars, boats, etc. Looking at the site, I am amazed at the prices. Is there anything from them that carrys a different name brand, vs. where I regularly buy from, Horizon, Tower, etc.? I have been paying top dollar for JR digital servos, in the $100+ range. Is this a factory direct company, that makes product under different labels, only various color schemes ?

If radio gear can be connected here, a lot of dough saved could be realized. I just looked at JR servo extensions. I am paying $9.95 each, they have about 6 in a package, $6.95, plus postage.
Any good advice appreciated, as I am a little leery of cheap stuff. Or is the markup of 1K % normal business ? I am sure some things cost less, and other products are close to the same price we are paying here. I understand the term, "loss leaders".

Crank
Old 12-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HobbyKing ??

Hello Crank
Ya know I've overall been very happy with the items from HK. While working at the area (not local anymore) hobby shop and we were selling the higher end items you would see at Tower, Horizon, Hobby People, etc. in Lipos to connectors. The ones I purchased outside the store from HK and another supplier in China were still less expensive, even with shipping, than what I was able to get from the store at cost. Do I get the long life from the lesser expensive lipos? No, but @ 1/4 the cost I can afford to test different setups in voltage, c ratings, heat, etc. that would limit me if I were to stay with Hyperion, Thunder power, lipos. I've found that you need to do your homework and it helps to know what your looking for, but I'm finding the quality to be very consistant along with inexpensive with most of the items I purchase there. I competed along with another this year who is in the top 20 in F3A pattern at the Nats. this year and previous and all he uses in his 2M plane are Tenergy lipos, as I use another HK offering. So far in 5 years of purchases I've been happy.

Terry
Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search and you will read good and bad on the company.........a lot of it ..bad. Most of the complaints are of their almost non-exsistant customer service and their questionable business tactics. I have ordered some things from them years ago but it was limited to mostly non-electronic items plus some of their batteries. Since then I have found better sources for most of those items .
Some of their engines are copies of more popular engines and are said to be lacking in overall quality. Some of the servos they sell are marketed under several names elsewhere and again their product quality is sometimes in question.
They do sometimes sell major brand items but you typically see them backordered. One time I saw them selling Sullivan Products glow driver systems for much less than US companies. I emailed Sullivan and was told they were aware of it and that HK was getting them from an overseas distributor that wasn't following Sullivan's distribution agreement. I was told HK buys so few of them at a time that they thwart trade law regulations and it's not worth the money for Sullivan to try and prosecute. Basically they are dumping US made product back on the US and elsewhere while selling it sometimes at cost (as they do make a lot of money on shipping )so this hurts any other reputable distributor. You see Hitec servos always on back-order too so I would assume it's the same deal for those as well.
I would search here and on google and read read read before you purchase anything.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:29 PM
flying_low

I personally have never had a problem with them. I usually buy servos, spektrum receivers, brushless motors and some of their foamy planes. I have only bought one ARF balsa from them and it was decent enough considering the price. Shipping from the international warehouse can take some time so don't be in a rush if you are ordering from there. Only way to find out is to order from them!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:38 AM
Flyer88

My experiance has been very good. If you look at my account I have over ( 1900 likes) to prove Ive been one of their long time customers.

Ive had one frustrating experiance where a $25 charger was lost in transit.

Other than that all the cables , wires (we simply get "ripped off" on cables and wire at the LHS) and switches, servos , batteries have been great. ( Ive bought Thunder Power and had problems with them also )

I love the electric motors (have over 25) and use them in almost all of my planes. They have been excellent at 1/3 the price of eflite and others.

My 50cc Yak is pulling 4000+ watts out of a $65 motor and runs great. I blew up one of their HV ESC's but then again look at how many Castles were catching on fire.

My 2M pattern aircraft uses their 5000mah 5s batteries (this is the only plane I dont have a hobby king motor in)

No electronic component will survive stupidity or neglect.............and there seems to be allot of that in this hobby.

I support HK 100%

Old 12-15-2012, 02:41 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most everything that HK  sells is    "reversed engineered"  products of  reputable companies.   HK has no  quality control, customer service or warrantees.     They make their money from the shipping charges that they impose.    I've heard far too many complaints from customers and too many  praises from their  paid  shills.   

They pay people to act like  happy customers and praise their products,  so I stay away from them and their junk.

Frank

Old 12-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Flyer88

Most everything that HK sells is "reversed engineered" products of reputable companies. Are you refering to how DA ripped off 3W in the early days ??

Or how Extreme Flight copied a Pletti outrunner for their motor line up !!

What you stated is complete BS. I have never been paid a dime from HK nore have I ever received anything from them for promoting their company. This is base purely on customer satisfaction.

Ive proven time and time again that I can stack any of their product up against anyone's . Why would I want to pay stupid amounts of money for ( a hobby) product that I can buy at a fraction of the cost.

This does not just relate to the hobby but even construction materials like decorative glass that I can purchase at 1/3 the price I can locally.

I dont know what you have against Chinese products but keep in mind Americans dont have a problem capitalizing on the goods when the Chinese manufacture your stuff to line your pockets.

P.S.
You probably typed this BS on a computer that was made in China. Unless you put a DA sticker on it !
Old 12-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Wildstyle

ORIGINAL: countilaw

They make their money from the shipping charges that they impose.

They pay people to act like happy customers and praise their products, so I stay away from them and their junk.

Frank

I both agree and disagree with the comments in this thread, I normally don't buy HK items, but know of plenty of people that do. I don't buy locally as here in New Zealand we get ripped off completly so tend to buy from US companies, Towers, central Hobbies, Airwild etc...

What I want to point out is how US companies can charge what they do for postage, from what I've seen HK postage is very cheap. I don't know how many times I've been charged $50US for postage to see a $17US sticker on it when it arrives, and the western world wonders why were getting screwed by china.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Flyer88

ORIGINAL: Wildstyle

ORIGINAL: countilaw

They make their money from the shipping charges that they impose.

They pay people to act like happy customers and praise their products, so I stay away from them and their junk.

Frank

I both agree and disagree with the comments in this thread, I normally don't buy HK items, but know of plenty of people that do. I don't buy locally as here in New Zealand we get ripped off completly so tend to buy from US companies, Towers, central Hobbies, Airwild etc...

What I want to point out is how US companies can charge what they do for postage, from what I've seen HK postage is very cheap. I don't know how many times I've been charged $50US for postage to see a $17US sticker on it when it arrives, and the western world wonders why were getting screwed by china.

I agree with you 100%

The last time I tried to buy some parts from a US company, they told me shipping to Canada was $35+

That was for switches and a regulator !

I paid that for a 55cc gas engines from China , but it averages about $15-20 for most orders.

It funny how the US copies European products and then China replicates US products....but China is BAD.

P.S. When was a radial engine or Turbine designed and marketed in the US ????? They all come from Europe or CR.....all the quality stuff comes from them.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

Crankpin
My suggestion would be to order  a couple of small items and see how you get on (I have had very little problems and those that did happen got sorted eventually) Be warned that over Christmas and Chinese New Year shipping can be a bit slow.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:48 PM
rodney tanner

I am just about to place an order on HK for some Rhino 4c batteries for a pattern plane, based on the reviews and comments I have read here on RCU which have been generally positive.
The motor, SC, servos and hardware are all known brands, based on previous experience and personal preference for pattern flying.
I also fly IMAC (DA 100) and again I would not use HK equipment, apart from Rx and Ign lipo batteries.

However, as I fly Pattern and IMAC, I am probably not representative of the average club flyer. At my flying club, where the majority of members fly 40-60 sized sport planes and electrics, the move to HK is in full swing. In general the comments and experiences with HK have been very positive, especially amongst younger novice pilots on limited budgets.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Flyer88: Got to love your Sig. line when discussing using cheap, rip-off parts from China.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:51 AM
Flyer88

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

Flyer88: Got to love your Sig. line when discussing using cheap, rip-off parts from China. [img][/img]

I've seen guys at our field bragging about their new Scorpion F3a motors and all sorts of "high end Stuff"

I've also seen them throw them in the garbage after they loose a bearing or a magnet or wrap the windings around then selves.

Seen two very expensive Castles go up in smoke and recently seen a DA50 be replaced with a DLE55r .

My planes are still flying.......so it's not what you buy, it's what you know that counts.

Cheers

Happy Landings

Flyer88