IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

J'TEC Radiowave 40% Extra ARF

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 02:25 PM
RollingHover
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J'TEC Radiowave 40% Extra ARF

Anybody have any first hand knowledge of this plane in terms of flying and quality of construction? I searched this forum, but didn't get any hits.

How long has it been around?
Snap well?
Fly Advanced without any problems?
Suggested engines?
Any CG problems with your suggested engine?
Exhaust cans installation problems?
Quality of paint job and covering?

Appreciate your feedback.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:46 PM
DaveMiller

Default RE: J'TEC Radiowave 40% Extra ARF

Hello,

I saw the end result of a wing clap if that tells you anything. According to the ower it had 60 flights and the wing failed at the phenolic tube. ILL bet if you ask the manufacturer it's the first they have heard of it. Do alot of searching before you get excited to plunk $1,500 on a plane. You get what you pay for sometimes.

Thanks

Dave Miller P.A.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:01 AM
rcplanefan
My Feedback: (2)

I got to see one flown by Jerry Candido this past weekend at the Comair IMAC contest. He flew it in Unlimited. I thought the plane presented extremely well. The pace was very slow, but vertical was excellent. His was equipped with a ZDZ-160 Champion, cans, and a Fuchs 33x12 prop (wonderfully quiet power combination). The paint quality on the cowl and pants looked very good and was a good color match. I was pretty impressed with the plane--and that is saying alot because I fly a 40% Carden Extra. Jerry won Unlimited with the plane and he said he only had about 15 flights on it.

These are my observations. Many out there will warn you away from a $1500 arf. Fact is, I've seen the H9 Ultimate fly, too, and it is a pretty nice plane. Hard to argue with the value of these planes.

Ken
Old 09-15-2003, 08:43 AM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

But it's hard to beat a Carden Extra. [sm=thumbup.gif]

-Kelly
Old 09-15-2003, 09:15 AM
DaveMiller

Hello,

You say it's a good deal until something fails and your out 2-3k worth of motor, servos etc. and that doenst include the plane. So it's your dollar. You got it Kelly its hard to beat a Carden or an Aerotech and I own both.

Thanks

Dave Miller P.A.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:53 AM
al

Dear Mr Miller,

I have checked with my customers in California and none have had any problems with our plane, wings or otherwise. Nor have we been contacted by any of our customers concerning any problems with our aircraft. If you have knowledge of one of our customers having a problem with one of our RADIOWAVE planes please advise them to contact us.

Al Young
RADIOWAVE
845-361-3660
Old 09-15-2003, 12:07 PM
DaveMiller

Mr. Young

If read the post above, I saw aftermath of this plane and while standing there with other pilots heard what the owner said. I didnt know this pilot personally so I can't relay messages. I would hope he or anyone who has had this happen with any manufacturer contact them for some support and the manufacturer handles it profesionally.

Thank you

Dave Miller P.A.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:44 PM
al

Mr. Miller,

For the RECORD, the airplane you are speaking of was not a RADIOWAVE Aircraft. We have not had any failures of any kind!

As I stated before, we have not had any calls or complaints about our airplanes what so ever but after reading your posting today I took the time and called all of our west coast customers. I have verified the fact that it was not a RADIOWAVE Airplane!!!!

Our customers have not had any issues what so ever! To the contrary the feed back was they are xtremely satisfied with our product and will gladly substantiate this fact.

For general knowledge, there will be several Radiowave Extra 330's competing for First Place at the DON LOWE MASTERS CONTEST being held in South Carolina this week.

Also, look for the review of our 40% Extra 330 coming in High Flight.

Please feel free to contact us anytime as we proudly stand behind our product.

Sincerely,

Al Young
RADIOWAVE AVIATION
Old 09-15-2003, 06:26 PM
DaveMiller

Hello,

Well Mr. Young Im glad you went to the effort. Now as I said before I can account for only what I heard 5 feet from my ears and thats all I can say. So good luck with your product.

Thanks

Dave Miller P.A.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:07 PM
markshenton
My Feedback: (3)

Saw the emails, and wanted to add my two cents. I have had a Radiowave Extra for 6 months and have run more than 30 Gallons of fuel threw it.

I have had no structural problems and ask anybody at the Reno field, I hammer my plane and fly at least 10 17 minute flights a weekend.

The plane flie's great and does all the 3D moves, the wing loading makes this model fly light and slow.

I know there was some problems another brand of Extra with wing tubes ?

Great model I love it, biggest model at the field !

SMACK
Old 09-15-2003, 07:32 PM
RollingHover

Hey smack,

What engine are you using? Any CG issues? Standard mufflers or cans?

Are you flying any of the IMAC tournaments with it and in what class?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2003, 10:14 PM
aerolou

I have the 40% extra with ZDZ 160 Champion, JMB in fuselage mufflers, I was able to balance perfectly without having to add lead anywhere.

The only modifications where to strengthen the firewall/motor box because i had to cut such a large hole for the rear carb that it makes the motor box a little too flexible causing some extra vibration. But that is not the planes fault, just my choice of motors.
I glassed the corners of the box and added a crossbrace inside the box, not a big deal .
3D's excellent
Snaps on a dime and stops as soon as you let go of the sticks.
Ailerons, Elevator and Rudder are very effective.
I am more into 3D type flying but I like to fly precise lines when doing all manuevers and love the precision that the plane is capable of.

On the first flight the only trim adjustments i needed were 2 clicks (beeps) of down trim.

This is my 2nd one, as the first one hit the ground pretty hard when It flamed out (my fault, bad ignition battery installation) doing a low level rolling harrier with 30 mph tailwind so i had no where to go but down hard []
I liked it so much I didn't hesitate to get the 2nd one and I was not dissapointed.

And like SMACK said "Great model I love it, biggest model at the field ! "

Lou
Old 09-15-2003, 11:38 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave Miller, are you sure you are not thinking of the Radiocraft not Radiowave? It is not the same plane.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:06 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have two of the Radiowave 40% Extras flying IMAC in the NW region. One plane is flown in Unlimited. Both are powered with DA-150s and fly very well. One had a 3W-200 with cans but the engine didn't run that great. The DA-150 pulls it as well or better than the 3W. The Unlimited pilots says it is one of the best flying planes he's owned, and he has owned a number of good competition planes including a Fiberclassics Giles and 40% Aeroworks Edge, among others.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:28 PM
markshenton

Hi Rolling Hover, Iam running a DA 150 with stadard can's. Engine is faultless, I have to say though I heard a ZDZ 160 the other day with pipes and it was so quite.

The Extra is so big and already pretty light I think it could easily take the added weight of the pipes.

I just fly for fun I travel all week for work so i need to be home on weekends.

Best of luck

Smack
Old 09-16-2003, 09:12 PM
Diablo-RCU

Anyone care to post some pictures of this plane with cans in the fuselage? Is the tunnel open on the bottom or is it inside the fuse? The Radiowave website could use some more photos of the construction etc and components. They might sell a few more planes if people could see the quality and design details better.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:43 AM
Red7fifty
My Feedback: (73)

Al,
Would you care to elaborate on the RadioCraft's former partner situation?
Old 09-17-2003, 09:47 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

I've seen Lou fly the Radio Wave 40% Extra. It flies great, sounds great, and he is one of the best, if not the best pilot in Connecticut.

This plane is HUGE. The price is unbelievably low for the quality.

The spruce stringers in the rear fuselage are the best spruce money can buy, if you can find it today. They must have a stash.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:46 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

I think Dave Miller PA needs to disclose who owned the plane that failed so that person can come forward with a sales receipt. Maybe Dave is trying to help an overpriced kit maker sell more kits.

$1200.00 is a lot of money for a kit that needs glue, paint, covering and $1500.00 of labor to get to the point the Radiowave Extra comes from the factory.

If it flys as well as a kit why spend an extra $2000.00 for something that you probably will have engine, radio, or dumb thumb failure with at some point. How many planes has Chip, Jason or Quique put in over the years? Something always goes wrong sometime.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:21 AM
DaveMiller

Hello Brian,

Sorry to burst you bubble but Im not promoting anyone. I have paid retail with whomever I have bought kits and or ARF's at one time or another. I have owned ARF's from several companys most flew well but all have I owned eventual had failures or multiple failures. So I went back to kits and full well knowing how things were done. Also if you read the above thread again I didnt know this person at the field just gathered around the mess like most of us due when a fellow pilot has had a problem, ask questions etc.

So don't read into an observation and an opinion. That's what these forums let us do is express good and bad opnions as well as our experience's with products.

Thank you

Dave Miller P.A.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:11 AM
TD1

I cant see to find the web site for the Radiowave Extra. Does anyone know the address?
Old 09-18-2003, 12:03 PM
RollingHover

Here you go... http://www.jtecrc.com/

There's not a lot of additional info about the plane on the website, although I understand Al is going to be changing that soon.

Ben
Old 09-24-2003, 12:57 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

i have the Radiocraft Extra which i think both companies were working together for at one point. On the radiocraft some onwers had to sand down the tube or the pelonic to make the fit. This could have resulted in someone having a failure. I am running a 3w-150 on cans 29 x 12 x 3 futz prop all is going well with mine. If they fly the same or close you have a winner with this kit.....

http://members.cox.net/krayzc/
Old 10-27-2003, 04:15 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

I'll reply to this one. I've seen this plane up close, and in fact have studied it very carefully. The plane is a very high quality airplane, and as far as knowing what you are getting...one look inside the plane will attest to the above statement. I know a local Unlimited pilot who has this airplane and believe me it is not weak! This pilot puts that plane through unbelievable 3d moves and it does it with ease. It flies beautifully...so beautifully that I'm trying to pull the money together to get one for Advanced next year. This plane flies with authority with a DA 150 and cans with a Mezjlik 3 blade. No need to change props for 3d either...it has plenty of power and will pull out of anything with ease. When I say this is a quality airplane I don't say that lightly. When it comes to airplanes I am a perfectionist. This airplane already has things done in it that I usually immediately change on any airplane. It has a glass socket through the fuse to save weight. That is attention to detail ladies and gentlemen, and I don't think there is any manufacturer out there that goes to that kind of length. You can tell the airplane is light without even knowing the weight also...just by watching it, you would think the airplane weighed 20 pounds it flies so light. This is a LARGE airplane, and in the air it has a presence like no other plane I have seen in competition. The color scheme shows up nicely in the air, and the level of completion of the kit as it comes out of the box is pretty hard to believe. I know because I asked these questions directly to the pilot I mentioned above. This thing comes out of the box only needing the hinges glued in which are already slotted, the radio and linkages installed, the engine and pipes installed, and the canopy glued on. I've seen the Carden's and they are very nice, but I continue to see posts implying that ARF's or ARC's are somehow 2nd class to kits, and it's just not so. This particular airplane it is definitely not so. I know 3 guys very well who fly this airplane and all have said it is the best flying plane they have ever owned and given their credentials and performances at meets including the Masters, that says volumes. I also saw a post that said this plane experienced a wing failure. I don't see how that is possible. That wing is built very rigidly. It's not heavy, but it IS very strong. The wings on this aircraft are full sheeted solid foam core wings and the wing loading is light. I don't see how one could fold a set of those wings if they tried to do it on purpose! People that have seen this plane up close know what I'm talking about as shown in the majority of posts here. What looks like has happened here is somebody broke an airplane and either blurted out the wrong manufacturer while they were pissed, or Mr. Miller misunderstood what was said. I have also talked to Al on the phone a couple of times in the past, and can guarantee you that if there was a problem it would be fixed and it would be fixed properly and quickly. Sorry to be so long winded, but this thread sounded like it attacking a plane and manufacturer that I know is a darned good one! The undertone of 'ARF's suck' also seemed to come through and it's just not so anymore. I've flown a ARC 330 from another manufacturer for 2 years and that plane is in the same condition it was when it was first maidened. I'd like to see a pro built Carden covered, slotted, and ready for radio for $1495...that's what you get when you buy a RadioWave 330...I know because I've seen them. [8D]
Old 10-27-2003, 07:19 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

People really need to stop the comparisons between the ARF's and the kits out there. If you want to build, you buy a kit and build. If you want to buy, you pick and ARF and buy.

With kits you get your own preferences, from glues used, to color scheme, and so forth. With ARF's you get a break in price (generally), lower time from box to flying field, but have to settle for the manufacturer's choices.

While you see a fiberglass socket as a plus, I do not. Fiberglass moldings continue to shrink for a period of time following layup, are MUCH more susceptible to vibration breakdown than their phenolic counterparts, and let's get realistic here.. you're not saving any more than an ounce or two at most.

ARF's are not 'second class' to kits.. at least not any more. They're just another choice. No matter how good they get, you'll still have people who will buy kits and build. I do both..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.