IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Glow engine setup for IMAC

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Glow engine setup for IMAC

I'm building the Midwest G-202 for IMAC. I wanted to put a gasser on the firewall, but it's just too heavy.

How do you put a glow engine in an aerobat with the tank on the CG??

I tried this with my SIG Cap 231 and a ST2500 engine. I had a 20oz. tank on the CG with a Perry VP-20 oscillating pump. No reliability. I switch lines, installed bypass lines, turned the pressure up, turned the pressure down-all bad. Engine would die on hard vertical snaps and long uplines.

I tried the same thing on my H9 Cap 232 with a ST3000. 24oz tank on the CG with a Perry VP-20. Same problems.

On both of these planes, I could watch it idle an entire tank on the bench with no problems. Both planes would run full throttle with the nose pointed straight up for an entire tank. Both planes would run full throttle while sitting level or inverted. But every time I did a hard snap or long vertical upline- I had a deadstick.

I can't seam to figure out how to mount my tank on the CG and get good, consistant fuel flow to the glow engines.

I just read about the Iron Bay regulator. Will it work? Anyone have experience with it?

Need help. Any comments or advice would be very much appreciated.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Warren
My Feedback: (72)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glow engine setup for IMAC

I've seen many at my field having good luck with the V-30 pump...

I used the Cline regulator with my Moki 2.10; seemed to work well until I slammed into a tractor after my tail flew off!
Old 09-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Noone else with any experience with pumps and regulators?

Everyone flying aerobatic planes can't be using gas. I would think that someone would be using glow with the tank on the CG.

Anyone?
Old 09-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my DP Extra with a Moki 1.8, I had a Perry VC-30 pump that ran off crankcase pressure. Fuel tank was on the CG and the combo was bulletproof. There's no need to be concerned about tapping the rear of the crank case; once you get the pump set up, you'll never want to remove it.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:20 PM
ncsanik
My Feedback: (1)

Hay,
in response to your question about anybody flying glow in IMAC, I do in the NC devision.
I fly a GP .46 300s. and had the same problems, but only when I floped hammerheads. My tank is not on the CG, and i don't run a pump, and I have won a few contests. I just tuned my engine to have best performence, and I do well. I think your problem is that you are snapping to hard, try it with only rudder and elevator.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:16 AM
Sprink

Perhaps the clunk is coming out of fuel while doing the snaps, and the pump cant pump air bubbles? Perhaps a small header tank would solve this like the heli guys use.

I haven't used any pumps myself (other than that on YS) but will be trying a perry soon. I have heard good things about the Cline, and the Iron Bay regulators.