Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Tail wires on Goldberg Extra 300???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 09:59 AM
sledman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail wires on Goldberg Extra 300???

I recently traded for a Goldberg Extra 300, 68" W.S. It doesn't have tail wires on it, but the guy that built and flew it didn't fly it hard. Should this model have tail wires? I've heard that the Graupner and G.P. Extra 300 Arf's have been snapping Horizontal stabs without them, although, this is a kit plane as opposed to an ARF....I NEED FEEDBACK!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Tail wires on Goldberg Extra 300???

Hey sled, I have built 4 of these planes over the years and all have been solid fliers. Never have installed the wires, no signs of any weakness.

Kent
Old 09-18-2003, 03:02 PM
sledman

Thank you VERY much for the reply!
Old 09-18-2003, 03:23 PM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

Your Welcome this is a great flying plane and durable.

Kent
Old 09-18-2003, 03:53 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: sledman

I recently traded for a Goldberg Extra 300, 68" W.S. It doesn't have tail wires on it, but the guy that built and flew it didn't fly it hard. Should this model have tail wires? I've heard that the Graupner and G.P. Extra 300 Arf's have been snapping Horizontal stabs without them, although, this is a kit plane as opposed to an ARF....I NEED FEEDBACK!
As other posts note there is no problem with structure with this airframe (at least none I'm aware of). That being said precision flying will be improved with the addition of flying wires. They don't need to be heavy or complicated. I have used nylon cord from the upholstery business to add these to planes. All flat surfaces will flex. If you remove this tendency the plane will track better as the flex will at least cause the trim to vary.

EXCAP232
Old 09-18-2003, 04:05 PM
sledman

Thanks. Good info!
Old 09-20-2003, 07:24 AM
shakeyjake3023

I've been flying a Goldberg Extra for about 5 years without tail wires. I'd say I am fairly hard on it and I have had no problems with the tail. I've had a SupreTigre G90 on it so it has lots of power. That engine has been nothing but trouble since I bought it. I am thinking about putting something else on it. Any suggestions out there?
Old 09-20-2003, 11:36 AM
majortom

Jake, I've had good power and reliability as well as great value from the Magnum .91 XLS two-stroke. I use the Jett muffler for a bit more power as well as nice fit inside the cowl. I have a Goldberg Extra on the docket for this winter, planning on a Thunder Tiger Pro 1.20 two-stroke with Perry pump for power. Another popular solution is the Webra Speed 1.20 two-stroke, which comes with integral pump. However, rumor has it that Webra spare parts service has been lacking for the last few months, which could be a sign of trouble.