IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Aerobatics "how to"

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 11:16 AM
David_Moen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobatics "how to"

Hi All.

I'm getting quite comfortable flying my 66" Vector Flight extra now, and want to try something more advanced than a snap-roll. The plane is supposed to flat-spin well, but I have no idea how to make that happen. Most of the fellows at the field are into scale cubs and such so they can't help me out.

Are there any good reference sites where I can get info on doing upright and inverted flat-spins, blenders and such? My plane is not 3D capable.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2003, 11:48 AM
David Cutler

Default RE: Aerobatics "how to"

Hi David,

You could start to see if your Extra is capable of a good flat spin by going into a normal spin as follows:-

Climb (high!) and close the throttle, keeping the model as vertical as possible. Just as the stall happens, give full up elevator and left rudder. A bit of left aileron might help to start the spin (although doing this will be frowned upon by judges in a competition!).

When fully in the spin, increase the throttle and give progressing right aileron (notice it's opposite to the rudder). The opposite aileron will flatten out the spin, and from there it's a matter of delicate movements of the aileron to keep the spin flat.

Get REALLY high first! This is especially true of a flat spin as you are opening the throttle while the model is on its way down. Not normally a good thing to do!!

As for the other aerobatics, there is a website that explains them in detail, but I can't remember which at the moment! I will try to find it and come back, but you could try a search here as it was mentioned a few weeks ago.

Good luck!

David C.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:46 AM
jcattera

David,

Hmmmm, the VF Extra 66" 300S is not 3D capable? I am building this plane with the assumption that I will be able to do 3D. I have triple rates on my airelons and dual rates on my elevator with the max throw on each at 30 degrees. I also am using lots of power with a 4 stroke Saito FA-100 and a 14x6 prop.

I was told I'll be able to hang it in the air at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle and be able to go vertical from there.

If interested, i'll let you know how the 3D performance goes after all the strong winds around here dies down.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:45 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: David_Moen

want to try something more advanced than a snap-roll.
Try flying an IMAC sequence. That's what I did in your case, and it's not as easy as it appears. Concentrate on using rudder instead of aileron to correct heading and be in the right position to start the next manuver. Start with the basic sequence. Like I said it's a blast and it's not 3D.
RickP
Old 09-25-2003, 10:54 AM
David_Moen

The VF planes are not designed for 3D. Put a big enough prop/engine on anything and it will hover I guess! I have been flying the IMAC basic sequence for something to do other than make holes in the sky!
Old 09-26-2003, 04:23 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm, the VF Extra 66" 300S is not 3D capable? I am building this plane with the assumption that I will be able to do 3D. I have triple rates on my airelons and dual rates on my elevator with the max throw on each at 30 degrees. I also am using lots of power with a 4 stroke Saito FA-100 and a 14x6 prop.

I was told I'll be able to hang it in the air at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle and be able to go vertical from there.

yes unfortunately the VF planes are excellent fliers and great for IMAC style flying but are not full out 3D machines. I have the 58" Extra and like it. I just wish it had bigger control surfaces for 3D and high alpha moves but thats not gonna happen. Im sure VF will produce a 3D machine sooner or later.

Good luck with yours as mine will be retired very soon
Old 09-26-2003, 11:17 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Try the aerobatics section of my website
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...vers/index.htm
Old 09-28-2003, 10:24 PM
99GrandTouring

I can't get the above site to work is it still functional?
Old 10-03-2003, 11:03 AM
jcattera

Guess what! I flew my Vector Flight Extra 66" 300S yesterday. I got about 3 flights in at 12 minutes each. The plane flew like it was on rails. The power from my Saito FA-100 was well enough power to pull it vertical unlimited. Actually, I was able to do spirals while climbing at 75% throttle. I'm able to hang it at half throttle also.

I have my rates set at 40% for both airelons and elevator. The max throw I have on the surfaces is 30 degrees. This plane is very sensitive on the controls.
Put the rates on full 30 degree defection and the plane will spin like a helicopter blade. I am not confident to put the throws on to test the 3D capability, but so far, I feel pretty confident that it will do 3D.

Very nice job on the plane Vector Flight!

Vector Flight is the best company I've ever delt with! They will bend over backwards for their customers. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2003, 03:34 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Check out this site for animations on basic maneuvers.
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...tics/maneuvers

ORIGINAL: David_Moen

Hi All.

I'm getting quite comfortable flying my 66" Vector Flight extra now, and want to try something more advanced than a snap-roll. The plane is supposed to flat-spin well, but I have no idea how to make that happen. Most of the fellows at the field are into scale cubs and such so they can't help me out.

Are there any good reference sites where I can get info on doing upright and inverted flat-spins, blenders and such? My plane is not 3D capable.

Thanks