Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Newbie to IMAC

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 03:23 AM
rkh1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to IMAC

Have decided to get into IMAC and as I begin to research planes best suited I'm wondering about Extra 260 as a possible. I have noticed that this particular design does have a shorter fuse in relationship to wing span (being much shorter). In IMAC does that have any impact on how the plane flys sequences? I also see that some 300 Extras have measurements that are within an inch or two while others are 6-10 inches different. I would be interested to know some thoughts on these specs and what effect they might have - is is better for IMAC to have wings and fuse close to same length?

While I have you, I would also take any recommendations for 60cc to 100cc size aircraft. My Highlander is my limiting factor as I only have about 91" of length unless I can remove horizontal stabs then could probably get another 6" maybe. Thanks for any and all help.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 AM
underdw
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Newbie to IMAC

I tend to believe you are right regarding the desirability of larger fuse/span ratios. I'm not sure I have the talent or experience with a variety of airframes to conclude this personally, but I base it off of the current "pro" kit planes that are popular as well as pattern plane design.

However, don't get hung up on it or an Extra xxx vs and Extra yyy. Practice with nearly any of the modern airframes will yield better results.
You might want to look at 80cc designs. They seem to be a good compromise point in size, cost, and performance.

Dan
Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: Newbie to IMAC

The best thing to do is to go to a contest and check out what the guys in your area are flying. There appears to be one next month in Andersonville GA. On the 13th. Don't get too hung up on a particular design. One manufacturers Extra 260 may fly sequences well where another may not. If you attend a contest ask to scribe. This will give you the advantage of watching a pilot and getting the judges expectations first hand. Ask questions of the judges between flights as to why they scored maneuvers what they did. You will be amazed at what you will come away with.