Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Rudder pull pull setup options for my Midwest Extra 300s

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 05:31 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Rudder pull pull setup options for my Midwest Extra 300s

You guys were really helpful in my thread last month on hardware, so I'll ask another question. I see several options for setting up the pull pull on rudders for big planes. There is the direct to servo route using metal servo arms (which I have- single not double), there is the bellcrank setup where the whole system is build with perfect geometry and then connected to the servo seperately, and there is the double servo arm standard setup. Even though it's more complex, the bellcrank setup looks good since it gives you some options to get the max torque from the servo by moving the connector around, but maybe it's not necessary on a 50cc plane? I have 275 oz in of torque, so will that be an issue at all? Are the dual servo arms needed instead of the single metal ones? From what I see, ball links are the way to go, unless you guys have another suggestion?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:29 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Jester I personally like the bellcrank setup. It allows me to set up the cables independent of the servos so any binding can be found easily. The setup I will be using on my 40% Extra will be two servos with single arms. One servo for each side of the bellcrank.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:52 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It does seem to be the best one from a mechanical standpoint. With ball links, I imagine the slop is pretty minimal. I'm just wondering if it's overkill on a 50cc plane?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:18 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

On all 50cc airplanes I have put together I just went with a double arm directly on the servo. IMO the bellcrank setup is really only nesessary for a multiple servo setup.