Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

research on new airframe, Krill Sukoi, Krill Extra, CARF Extra, Carden Pro

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:49 PM
gbrod
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default research on new airframe, Krill Sukoi, Krill Extra, CARF Extra, Carden Pro

Hi,
I am now flying a Carden 260 118" with DA 150. i really like it; I am planning to move up to intermediate and am looking for a new bird.

Have seen the Krill Extra 330S 41%, Krill 37% Sukoi, Carden 260 126", Carden 124" pro, CARF extra260 3m, CARF Extra 330SC 3.1m
Any comments on pros and cons, what power
Thanks
Happy flying
George
Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Is there anything wrong with you current 118" span Carden 260, or have your flying skills reached beyond the capabilities of that airframe? Any of the other choices you mentioned would also be good, but I am just wondering.

Bob
Old 02-25-2014, 05:53 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Agreed, that is quite an impressive list of airplanes and it's obvious you have done your homework. The big reason why I like IMAC over pattern is that it does not suffer from the airplane of the week syndrome. I know that we all like new airplanes and I for one would never tell anyone not to get an additional airplane but would any of those airplanes make you more competitive over what you already have? No. That road leads to lots of productive practice. This means an organized practice schedule with a caller/judge that is capable of identifying your mistakes and helping you correct them. Getting the airplane dialed in to the limit of it's potential is key as well. I often see guys blaming their equipment when the equipment is not adjusted properly in the first place. I for one would be willing to help in the set up department, There are a few things that I can do over a keyboard that I see lots of guys miss. Bottom line is if you want a new airplane go for it but decide which one you want to compete with, dial it in and spend lots of time with it.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:22 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the other hand, I've flown Pattern only (with only a minor interest in IMAC sparked by TOC visits) for 35 years. To Shaun's point I really don't understand why most Pattern people change their airframes like they change their shirts. Until recently that was the norm in Pattern. Right now of course, everyone seems to be taking a deep breath flying last year's plane for the most part. Maybe, just maybe some may actually have realized that spending all that money didn't do bupkus for their flying.....But of course, all have tried to validate their purchases by arguing in hyperbole (you know....it's GREAT plane, It makes me look great, and so forth. But it is mostly unadulterated Bovine Skat. My 35 years of competitive flying have certainly taught me that)

Shaun's advice is on the money. Get a plane that flies well for you, trim it as well as you can and retrim it as you gain knowledge. Staying with a model will teach you the most about that model and you should learn to fly it like a champ. Move on when you break your toy or when when you beat the bejesus out of it.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 PM
gbrod
My Feedback: (4)

I agree with all of you.
The 118" does fly extremely well, it is properly dialed in, it certainly can fly way past my abilities and current needs.

But.... we all like new toys from time to time, don't you?
Just looking for a new toy, don't take it so seriously.
Thanks
George
Old 02-27-2014, 06:58 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

George, I personally like the composite airplanes. I have " built " quite a few Carf airplanes and a couple Krills. I think the Krills are a slightly higher quality. Can't go wrong with either. Cardens fly great too but are a ton of work and with the lack of quality in coverings these days I am staying away from wood. I can certainly appreciate the desire for a new toy, I've been working on and off on a Carf 3M Extra for a few years now and all I need to do is throw some servos in it and its ready to go.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:18 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

I have a Krill Katana 2.6 and Yak 3.0, a Carf Yak 2.6, and a Carden Extra 118". I don't know how good the new Krill Extra is...looks nice, but I was disappointed in the quality of my Krill airplanes for the amount of money that I spent...and getting replacement parts is ridiculous. The Carf is a good product at a okay price and I think a better value. I really like the Carden, but it is a wood airplane and that presents another set of issues in my warm climate...while I like wood airplanes, plastic ones are easier for me to maintain. The Carden Pro is a really nice airframe, but then again so is the Carf.....always fun looking at the green grass but don't forget the grass is greenest where you water it most.

Last edited by DISCUS54; 09-09-2014 at 04:24 PM.