Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Glens 30% cap

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 02:16 AM
Ultimate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glens 30% cap

I'm putting one of these CAPs together and wondering about the hinges that are supplied with the kit.

Several people have commented to me that the hinges wear prematurely, particularly rudder and elevator. Does anyone else have this experience ? Is it worth fitting dubro hinges instead ?

Chris
Old 10-09-2003, 04:22 AM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Glens 30% cap

Robart pin hinges all the way...
Old 10-09-2003, 05:53 AM
Ultimate

yes I meant the Robart pin ones not Dubro.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:39 PM
3D_CAP232

Hi,
I reckon either would do, if you use dubro you could pass a single pin through the lot and make it quickly removeable...i.e. similar to how it was designed. I would bear in mind that if you use commercial hinges that you will need to cut the flying surfaces spar, this strength WILL need to be replaced.
Oh btw before anyone gets the wrong impression, my cap is 1.5 years old and has had 3 years of (hard) flying on it, the rudder is still positive without any noticeable slack as are the ailerons, the elevators have some play, but hardly enough to be concerned about. But in hindsight i would be tempted to try commercial hinges instead, probably just to get more hinges per control if anything for peace of mind, even though probably not required.

Regards
3D_cap232
Old 10-10-2003, 02:03 AM
Ultimate

Hi Richard

Sounds like the aileron hinges are up to the job. Its the elevator ones that are a slight weak point, as your the second person who has commented that they have slop. Someone else said the rudder was a weak point as it only had two hinges, and theirs came loose in flight resulting in a landing with the rudder flapping around held on only by the closed loop ! Oddly enough exactly the same thing happened to me on the 68 inch cap, after a year of abuse the mylar hinges failed. The landing was interesting....

Yes I take your point about going through the main spar of the flying surfaces. I'll make sure extra wood goes around the hinges.
Does yours have the aileron balance weights on ? My kit has no details of them at all, and theres no wood for them. I'm wondering if I have an old version of the kit or something ? Easy enough to make up though.

I'm hoping to be finished this side of Christmas. I have chosen the Aeroshell scheme, its a scale scheme, red and white, and fairly simle to do (I'm lazy and crap at finishing !) but looks quite nice.

Hows the 3W, is it run in yet ?

Chris
Old 10-13-2003, 01:05 PM
3D_CAP232

Hi,
My ailerons do have counterbalances, the best thing to do is speak to glen and say you didnt get the aileron counterbalances, he's very helpfull so i'm sure he'll do what he can.
The 3W's coming on nicely, havnt had a chance to start leaning it out yet...havn't flown in 2 weeks (which is a LOOOOONNNNNNG time for me!!!).
Cheers
Rich
Old 10-14-2003, 02:27 AM
Ultimate

cheers, I'll add the counterbalances then.