Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Good beginning IMAC plane about 33%

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:40 PM
krispaternflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good beginning IMAC plane about 33%

Well, I never thought I'd ask but what's a good plane to start IMAC / freestyle flying with? I was think 33% extra. carden? aeroworkss? DA-100? Let me know cuz i fly pattern i am clueless when it comes to the big ones.

Kris Kovanda
D3 Pattern
Advanced, FAI
Old 10-10-2003, 07:52 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Good beginning IMAC plane about 33%

Well,
I suppose that would work fine, but I would say you really don't need anything at the moment. Download the basic sequence and just start practicing it. I'm sure you could enter your pattern plane in the basic and do just fine. See if you catch the bug or not. IMAC competition is very laid back and ment for fun. After a competition or two you can decide on which giant to get.
RickP
Old 10-10-2003, 09:14 AM
rcplanefan

Kris,

I'm assuming that since your signature indicates that you fly Advanced in pattern, you probably won't want to start in Basic. Maybe Intermediate or Advanced in IMAC? I'm also not sure how competitive you want to be in Advanced, but you will probably want at least a 33% airframe. Keep in mind that you will be flying against lots of guys with 40% airframes, and you will really need to be "on the sticks" with the 35% to be competitive. Not saying it can't be done, just that it will make things more difficult. It is a great size airplane to start with because it is competitive and because there are lots of choices.

I have a 35% Radiocraft Extra with a DA-100 that I flew in Advanced last year. Great airframe for sequence and for 3D. Radiocraft isn't making them anymore, but you can usually find them used here in RCU. There once was a guy selling some older 35% kits (they are ARC's) through the forum, so that may be an option as well. You probably won't find anyone with a Radiocraft 35% Extra who doesn't like it!

Carden is now making a 35% Edge and a 35% Extra. Both fly well, but for precision I would lean towards the Extra (my preference). It sure makes the spin entries easier, and I think rollers are easier with the Extra as well. I haven't flown either of these airplanes, but have seen both flown by competent pilots, and both do well. Carden makes excellent kits that are pretty easy to build (assuming you have some building experience) and they will really hold up well to several seasons of flying. My 40% Extra looks and flies just as well today as it did at the beginning of this season when it was new.

Another option is the Composite-Arf 35% Extra. While this will get you into the air quickly, and it is a nice looking airplane, it is much smaller than the Carden and the Radiocraft. I have seen many fly in competition (haven't seen any in Advanced, though) and in my opinion, they fly small and FAST. Not my cup of tea, but you can get into the air quickly, they look great, and you really can't beat the price. Lots of guys will argue that for the price the Composite-Arf Extra is a much better deal than a Carden. Depends upon what you are looking for. In my opinion the Carden flies much bigger, slower, and presents in the sequence better. Again, my opinion.

I don't have much experience with the Columbo Anderson line of Extras, but the guys who have them like them, too.

Whatever you decide for a plane, I would certainly go with DA for the engine. My DA-100 runs flawlessly, makes great power, and the service from DA is absolutely, without question, the best. IF you have a problem, you will have your engine fixed and back in your hands with 3 days (assuming you ship overnight). Usually, there is NO CHARGE. For me, this peace of mind is great becasue I know I won't be out of the season for more than a week--and usually much less.

Sorry for the long reply. Hope some of this is helpful. HAVE FUN!
Ken
Old 10-10-2003, 10:29 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Most people on the list might disagree with me and say Extra, Extra, Extra! But especially for a beginning plane I would say you cannot go wrong with an Edge. I flew A 36% Aeroworks Edge up to Advanced and did quite well with it. It also 3d's very well. Just make sure you sand sharp L.E. or it wont stall or snap which is what most people complain about the Edges, the Edge just wont stall, but as a beginner this means you cannot hurt an Edge in a landing.

Rob
Old 10-16-2003, 08:02 PM
deweyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kris
I have a CA 34% extra, and I flew sportsman,and then went to intermediate,and done very well with both classes This plane flies very well , it tracks like a pattern plane that's why I like it so much. I have a ZDZ 100 with canister, which is very easy to put into the fuse. I put wing adjusters on the wings, so i could do the fine tuning, it works very well. the kits are very cheap,and the foam is already sheeted. The fuse is all laser cut.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:12 AM
3DRC
My Feedback: (3)

Drive over to Mobile, AL on the 8th of November for our Extreme 3D aerobatic fly in. You should be able to see a lot of big gassers and talk to some of the top pilots in the region.

If you want pure IMAC the Extra is a great airframe, for 3D the Edge is tops.

Manufacturers: Carden, AeroTech, Troy Built, Wild Hare, and a bunch of others are out there. These would be the top kits/ARFs out there though.

Again, try to come over on the 8th. It is only ~ 1.5 hour drive from Crestview and you will see some incredible stuff done with a plane.

Azalea City RC

www.alvinrc.com will have the directions to the club field or you can email me and I will be happy to share it with you.

[email protected]
Old 10-18-2003, 07:47 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have seen many planes in that class but don't own any. From what I see and have looked at, the two planes I would choose would be the Aeroworks Edge and the Composite Arf Extra. Both look excellent and fly very stable.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:18 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Wild Hare has a smoking deal on their 35% Extra ARF - $850. The plane has a lot of wing area and is designed for the "big power" 100cc gas motors. I'm reading posts that say it comes out around 30 lbs. The plane is designed for cans in the fuselage.

The Composite ARF 2.6 Extra comes out around 26 lbs, but there is no place to put cans in the fuselage. Also, it's a slightly smaller plane. They fly great. People seem to have some issues with the landing gear holding up.

I've been flying an AW 33% Edge 540T for 3 years, also an excellent flying plane. I bought a Colombo Anderson 34% Extra ARC and Wild Hare Extra because I wanted to try something different and put some cans in the fuselage.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Diablo....

Not flying that Cap any more? I sold mine too....

Waiting on a Wild HAre Giles to get here, and building a 31 % CA....

Still loving my ZDZ 80....

Thanks again for letting my fly your Cap.....got me hooked on this IMAC stuff...

Pugs
Old 10-18-2003, 06:16 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Pugs:
I still have my Cap, but I flew most of the IMAC contests with the Edge. For whatever reason, the Edge tracked better, but it's probably just a trimming difference. The Cap has a lighter wing loading for the 3D stuff. Good luck on the Imac circuit next year.