Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > IMAC
Reload this Page >

Best 1/4 scale airplane for IMAC and 3D? Extra, Cap, Edge???

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Best 1/4 scale airplane for IMAC and 3D? Extra, Cap, Edge???

Old 10-14-2003, 02:17 AM
Jason W M
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 1/4 scale airplane for IMAC and 3D? Extra, Cap, Edge???

Hey guys!

Id like to start flying IMAC this year, but funds just dont allow for a 33%+ sized airplane. I'll most likely fly the intermediate class this year and hoped I could be plenty competitive with a 25-30% airplane,

What airframes and engines would be best? Servos will be JRs new 8611s with a JR PCM Rx and a lithium RX pack. I see the Hangar 9 80" Cap 232 is discontinued and on sale for $299 most places...how well would this airplane fly the pattern AND how well will it 3D?

Ive got lots of 3D airplane and heli experience with some previous pattern flying under my belt. For the most part, it seems like Extras still are the most popular choice. Ive heard lots of good thing about the Great Planes Patty Wagstaf 300 - any input on that?

The reason for staying away from 33%+ right now is because of the large number of servos required and the cost of the engine. While I fly IMAC with my smaller plane this year though, I'll be watching for a deal on a used larger airframe

Any input you guys have on any airplane in the 25-30% range perfect for IMAC and 3D is greatly appreciated! Id hope to also fly on one of the engines under $600....I REALLY want a DA-50 unless something else is better in this class!

Jason
Old 10-14-2003, 04:36 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Best 1/4 scale airplane for IMAC and 3D? Extra, Cap, Edge???

I'm moving into the 40% class this next year. I have flown the 35% planes for a few years. In addition I will be using a CA 27% EXTRA with a BME-50 however the DA is also an excellent choice in this size plane. The 27% is just for use as a practice plane and back up. These planes are really nice and will perform very well in both sequences and freestyle. I may use the 27% for the freestyle so the risk is reduced. You may want to try this plane. It is set up on a wing tube and the flying surfaces come pre-sheeted.

Check the planes out on the following link: http://www.marcelocolombo.com.ar/Ingles/homeingles.htm

Best luck and enjoy!

EXCAP232
Old 10-15-2003, 07:51 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Another vote for the Columbo Anderson 27% extra with DA-50
Old 11-05-2003, 06:40 PM
heads-up

I think in my opinion the aeroworks edge or wild hare edge these i think are your best choice the wild hare edge would fly great with a da-50. I have flown a the hangar 9 cap232 with a g-62 it flew pattern o.k. and it tracked pretty straight the engine was a rocket on it was a little heavy, and in 3-d it would snap out of most or all of the manuvuers hince the name snap cap 232 the landing gear is also weak it snaps right out of the ply there mounted to on the fuse then i flew it again with a new 3w-60i it had amazing vertical, more than the g-62. But the bad thing about the hangar 9 cap on a knife-edge it needed alot of mixing it fly o.k. but i wouldnt buy that plane and try to be competive in IMAC. I have talked to columbo and anderson just last week at the field and there two pattern were just unbelivable in there quality it was the first time ive seen a 2meter pattern plane do torque roll and 3-d right on the deck. the edge or extra is youre best bet the gp patty extra300 ive flown with a zdz40 it flew nice and did pretty good 3-d and pattern. But i like edges there unstallable and do great 3-d. Ive done my homework i want to start to compete in IMAC and was thinking about the edges but im 14 and i have a budget. but good luck and tell me what you get.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:23 PM
THE EDGE

If you are interested in a CA model, you had better get one quick. Go to Planes Plus web site. They are closing out the CA line and they are the only American Importer that I know. However if you do get one DO NOT get an ARC or ARF because they are built VERY POORLY!!!! Now the kits are fine but, the ARC or ARF version , lets just say they are not very straight.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

Hi,
I have a hangar 9 edge if your interested that will go on sale after our november imac meet here in vegas. im moving to 33%ers, which i already have. power is YS 140L. email if interested.

my imac partner has the patty and he does well with it in sportman, powered by a DA 50. it looks like it tracks well. thats a good option.

look at the lanier edge 540 arf. that will be some good use of the 8611's.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:02 PM
euroflyer

Let me say, after seeing, Cap, Extras, Katana, at the last “Breitling Cup” and “F3ax Spanish Championship”, in Zamora, Spain. I vote for the CAMODEL Extra 300 L . I like their performance , specially the 34 %. . I saw two young pilots from Valencia (Spain). They bought the ARC version (excellent quality). Both pilots got the, 1st and 2nd place at the podium .
Also, a friend from Tallahassee, Florida, told me some days ago, CAMODEL started his own distribution in USA, from Miami ,FL.
Regards from Madrid, Spain.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73653.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	73336   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44467.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	73337  
Old 11-26-2003, 06:32 PM
ep124
My Feedback: (1)

The GP extra is an awsome plane with the right power plant, but you might want to think about the creek hobbies giles 202 ( http://www.creekhobbies.com/giles.html ). also check out there other planes if the giles isn't right for you.