Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Help on first freestyle

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 12:34 AM
mc71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on first freestyle

I am putting together my first freestyle sequence for the IMAC at IMAC comp at the end of november and I was wondering what your favourite 1-2-3 combos are. I will be flying my old kyosho cap which isn't the best at 3d stuff but I am very comfortable with it.

some of my little combos are:

half rolling circle with two half rolls in opposite - 8 point roll - half rolling loop.

1 1/4 snap to KE - 1 1/4 snap to inverted.

Hope to hear your favourites.

Matt
Old 11-05-2003, 06:37 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Help on first freestyle

Something I've been practicing (before winter of course) which is a REALLY neat combo in conjunction with the music, but it must be executed to perfection or else it looks like crap and you'll probably muck the exit.

45 degree upline tumble to end directly in a harrier (upright or inverted) (or in your case slow upright flight), hold for a second to establish the horizontal then push it over and instantly go into a 45 degree downline tumble (or knife edge spin, whatever).

When you time the combo to the music perfectly it looks so awesome, but at the same time you have to time it, you have to execute the tumble to harrier perfectly or the plane will wallow around embarrasingly and that spells all kinds of problems.

The Ratchet roll sequence made famous by Matt Chapman is another really neat combo. Alternate various rolls, slow, 8 point, 4 point, half, full, snaps, shoulder rolls, etc. all on the same horizontal show line down the whole length of the field. Not the easiest but so cool looking!
Old 11-06-2003, 06:41 PM
mc71

Thanks I like the rachet roll idea, I don't know that my cap would do the tumbles.I like slow rolls with a sudden snap put into the middle and then keep on wih the slow roll. I've never heard of a shoulder roll before though.

One thing that I practice before any comp, pattern, pylon, and now IMAC is two 1/4 rolls then a 3/4 as fast as the plane will roll, over and over and over untill I muck it up. I find it gets my brain working really hard at first then it switches off and it all happens without thinking. It looks surprisingly impressive after the first 2 or 3.

What is your favourite takeoff run?

Mine is a slow roll to KE then a KE figure of 8.

Matt
Old 11-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Jleyland
My Feedback: (1)

A few months ago (mabye even last year) Don Szur wrote an outstanding article in Flying Models Magazine. It went into detail on how to construct a winning freestyle with all the elements the judges are looking for, in addition to music selection, maneuver combos and such. One of the things that helped me the most from that article is the simple idea that before you even go to the field, know how you're going to fly your freestyle, including music, maneuvers etc. It's just way too hard to figure it out at the field with a transmitter in your hand - it must be planned out in detail from the start, including the cheoreography, before you actually fly it. There will be areas that just don't work with the music, and that you have to change a little. I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I think it might help you with constructing it. --- Try to find that back issue of Flying Models - Don Szur writes fantastic articles.
take care,
Jon L
Old 11-08-2003, 06:48 AM
mc71

I have the music worked out, it will be "harder, better, faster, stronger" by "daft punk", awsome song. I agree, I think of the freestyle just as another pattern flight, a little more intense and alot more flexible, but still just as precise and planned. I'm working on a rolling cuban 8 right now so that will be fun.

I'll keep working on it and let you know what I develope.

Matt
Old 11-08-2003, 09:27 AM
Jleyland
My Feedback: (1)

Hey sounds cool! - I know that song. Are you doing a few songs or just that one? If I remember right the pace varies a bit in that song to make it really interesting. Rolling Cuban 8 sounds awesome! I'll have to work on that too. Keep me informed.
take care,
Jon
Old 11-08-2003, 11:51 PM
mc71

I will use only the one song, but you are right the pace and mood changes over the length of the song. I'm actually listening to it right now.

Matt