Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

RC 40 % Extra 330LX and ZDZ-210 ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 03:59 AM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC 40 % Extra 330LX and ZDZ-210 ??

Hey All , greetings and Happy Holidays !! Chris and I just picked up our new 40 % RC 330LX ARF (thanks Rich F.) we talked alot about which power plant may be best for GREAT overall performance and the ZDZ-210 sure sounds sweet !! I know it is about 1 lb heavier then a DA-150 or other 150 / 160 , but in this size bird with alot of mass / drag - it sure sounds real tempting ! It will be real tight on width in the cowl , but the lenght is about perfect. I know Rob S and Andy K are using the 210 in there huge YAKS with real good results. So , lets hers some feedback - I know the RC 330 is a real popular bird out west, what are you guys running ? also pipes and props, etc.... Thanks much , Rod & Chris in PA.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:27 PM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: RC 40 % Extra 330LX and ZDZ-210 ??

Personally, I would stick with a 150 (DA for me but the 3W is good too).

Here are some resaons:
1. If you want cans, the added weight of the 210 would probably mean you would have to move your rudder servos to the tail for a push pull instead of a pull pull for balance
2. You might have to trim your cowl to let the plugs stick out
3. Higher wing loading
4. Not much more thrust
5. A 150 would fly the thing fine

Just put a 150 in it with some KS cans and keep as much weight out of it as possible.
You shouldn't hardly be able to make it weigh more than 40 pounds, and if you try you could probably get it around 36.

CF spinner
Lithium Ion batteries
4 oz tires
CF gear and tail wheel
CF wing tube
Light weight pilot
Lightning holes

there are more things than that you can do, thats just what I came up with off the top of my head right now.

John
Old 12-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I'd put the ZDZ-210 in it if there's any worry about the plane's weight. The guys with the 150 motors sometimes don't have enough power (on hot days) and struggle because of the choice of props (for noise control). The 3-blade props don't have the pull of the 2-blade props. But if you have 210cc, it doesn't matter if the prop choice is not efficient. Even a bad prop will put out an excess of thrust on a hot day. Also, the 210cc motor is priced about the same as the DA.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:47 PM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

Diablo-RCU is right about if you don't think you can keep the plane under 40#'s (ie worried about the weight), then the 210 might be a better choice. If you can get it weighing in at 38 #'s or so, a 150 would have more than enough power (even on hot days) and you wouldn't add the extra weight of the engine (and at the same time increase the wing loading).

Just remember, lighter planes fly better