Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Aeroworks 36% Edge 540 Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Mr Edge540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeroworks 36% Edge 540 Question

I am building a Aerworks 36% edge 540 and I am curious to learn about some tips and tricks to building this type of airplane. This would be my first giant scale aircraft and would like to ensure greater success with this model.

One of the first methods I am doing is using the Northeast Sailplane products vacu-bagging system to sheet the wings with so that I can get a uniform seal over every square inch of surface on the wing. should I do any other re-inforcement to the wing (IE carbon fiber strips, etc?)

Thanks for your help in advance. Chris
Old 12-17-2003, 02:25 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Aeroworks 36% Edge 540 Question

You mentioned that this is the 36 % Edge 540 kit, so I assume it is an older kit. Depending on how old they might have wanted you to sheet the wing with 3/32!QUOT! sheeting and spars and then cap strips like a built up wing. They have moved away from this method of building wings and now in their kits they sheet the wing with 1/16!QUOT! sheeting full length.

With either 3/32!QUOT! or 1/16!QUOT! sheeting it is not necessary to add any carbon to the wing. It will be plenty strong as it is. As for bagging the wing use a good laminating epoxy. Put the epoxy on the skins, and then scrape the epoxy off. The skins will be dry to the touch. If you have goobs of epoxy on the skins you are only adding weight.

If this is the kit I am thinking they also have a flat stab with flying wires. I modified mine so that I could have a removable stab otherwise it would not fit into my Explorer. I could send you pictures if you are interested.

I feel you are building a great model that will serve you for years to come. I have flown mine for the past three years and it has won a few IMAC contests and taught me a great deal.

Rob
Old 12-17-2003, 02:27 PM
RobT

I just looked at the post the " was the computer change quote marks that were supposed to be inches.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Mr Edge540

Thanks Rob, This particular kit has been made with an airfoiled stab and rudder and will be sheeted. I will follow your advice on the sheeting process. They are setup to be sheeted with 1/16 inch balsa.

From way back when, this aircraft was a really hot performer with a DA-100 which is what I plan on purchasing but those things are expensive!

Feel free to share pics of this bird. I'd like to see it and see what you did to set it up with. The radio compartment would be really cool to see esp!

Chris
Old 12-17-2003, 05:02 PM
RobT

Don't have any pics of the inside, but that will be easy to do after the holidays if you remind me.

Some static shots are on the aeroworks web site.

Here is an action shot:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55363.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	83121  
Old 12-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Mr Edge540

From way back when, this aircraft was a really hot performer with a DA-100 which is what I plan on purchasing but those things are expensive!

Chris

Well you can allways look at the NG (New Generation) ZDZ 100. They are as powerfull as any 100 at this time. and the price is a lot better.

Roger
Old 12-17-2003, 06:18 PM
RobT

Hey Roger . . . It's Rob From the List. Love your Products!!

But the DA is still the best (Dave's customer service is worth paying a bit extra for)

Rob
Old 12-19-2003, 12:10 PM
Mr Edge540

Wow Rob, thats a nice aircraft you got there! How long did it take you to construct the aircraft? I'm hoping to get the structure completed within a couple of months.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:35 PM
RobT

I can usually build a plane in one winter. The Aeroworks was no exception. So Yes from a box a balsa to flying in about three months.
By the way this Plane is STILL a performer. Hard to beat it.

Rob (did ou see the shots on the aeroworks site?)