IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Aeroworks 25% Edge engine Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 09:50 PM
Thunderbird5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeroworks 25% Edge engine Q's

All,
What would be a good engine for this plane? I want it to be light, so the wing loading doesn't go through the roof, but still unlimited vertical. Glow or Gas, doesn't matter.

Jake
Old 12-20-2003, 10:15 PM
Jleyland
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Aeroworks 25% Edge engine Q's

Hi Jake,
I assume this is the kit version. Stay away from gas for this plane. That will ruin the light design advantage, unless it is a very lightwieght gas engine. My brother has this plane with an os 120 - wieght is around 9.5 pounds, it is a great flying plane and would serve in imac to the intermediate category. I think the perfect engine will be a Ys 140 or equivelant. Right now with the OS 120 it has decent power but probably not enough for anything past intermediate without a bit of a disadvantage. For a comparison it torque rolls at a little under 3/4 throttle, with a Bambula wood 16x 8 prop. So for the performance you want I'd say find something with a bit more power then an os 120 but at the same wieght. I know people will probably say put a DA-50 in it or what have you... but dont listen to them! Keep it light and you will reep the benefits!
I hope this helps you out- this really is a fantastic plane.
take care,
Jon Leyland
Old 12-20-2003, 10:22 PM
Jleyland

I just checked with my brother - its actually a 16x6 bambula wood prop
Old 12-21-2003, 09:23 AM
Geoffbob
My Feedback: (12)

I think I'd lean towards an OS 160FX, personally. I have this plane and flew it with both a Saito 180 and currently a Supertigre 2300, both swinging 16X8 props. The 2 stoke is lighter and has more power. (As certified by my own, custom seat-of the-pants dyno!) For sure a gas engine would kill this plane; it's way too light and the best way to enhance that lightness is with a light engine. Have fun, it's a magnificent airplane!
Old 12-21-2003, 11:12 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen Geoffbobs plane fly with the ST2300. At this altitude of 6000' above sea level it is a definete performer.

Stay away from gas-- too heavy. I'll second the OS 160 or you could pop for a Moki 180 and really make it ballistic.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:14 PM
ncsanik

I have got one of these planes and i am running a supertiger 2000 w/ a APC 16x6. the plane was built heavy so it doesn't have the best vertical but it can still go pretty high. with this prop i am torque rolling at almost full power. the prop should be an APC 18x6 to get better (advice from a pro, Mike Barbee). good luck with your plane.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:40 PM
3D Joy

How about a Moki 135?