Sportsman Sequence - Loop and Roll

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 08:23 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sportsman Sequence - Loop and Roll

Hey Gang,
I've been practicing the sequence and I've noticed that I tend to start the roll when the nose of the plane is still pointed up and I'm not chopping the power untill the roll is done. It dosen't look very smooth. This should be an easy manuver and I need to be sure that I can ace it. Any advice?
When do I chop the power?
When do I start the roll? - Do I streach out the top of the loop with a flat segment?
Opinions please.

RickP
Old 02-09-2004, 08:59 AM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sportsman Sequence - Loop and Roll

You should start the roll just before the aircraft is back to level flight. However, you may be rolling too fast which makes the geometry look a little odd. Try rolling a bit slower and pass through level flight inverted and roll out at the same portion of the top of the loop as you rolled in. As far as when too chop the power, that all depends on wind. On a calm day i would probably chop the power when the nose is about 45 degrees down on the back portion. Hope this helps.

-Kelly
Old 02-09-2004, 03:38 PM
caliber302003

what i was tought to do is when the nose is upright.... POWER! and when the nose is down.... THROTTLE BACK and when you are doing the loop try stretch the loop out a bit more this helped me
hope this makes sence and helps good luck too
ORIGINAL: RickP

Hey Gang,
I've been practicing the sequence and I've noticed that I tend to start the roll when the nose of the plane is still pointed up and I'm not chopping the power untill the roll is done. It dosen't look very smooth. This should be an easy manuver and I need to be sure that I can ace it. Any advice?
When do I chop the power?
When do I start the roll? - Do I streach out the top of the loop with a flat segment?
Opinions please.

RickP
Old 02-09-2004, 03:38 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, I cut the throttle back before I do do the roll. This helps me maintain a circular loop while doing the roll. Straightening the airplane to do the roll is a downgrade. I probably use full throttle entering the loop, half throttle over the top, idle on the way down, and back up to half throttle on the level.

I'm having trouble with over and under rotation of the snap. One point per ten degrees can zero this maneuver before you can say "entering the box".
Old 02-09-2004, 03:56 PM
RightThrust

ORIGINAL: ilikeplanes

Hmm, I cut the throttle back before I do do the roll. This helps me maintain a circular loop while doing the roll. Straightening the airplane to do the roll is a downgrade. I probably use full throttle entering the loop, half throttle over the top, idle on the way down, and back up to half throttle on the level.

I'm having trouble with over and under rotation of the snap. One point per ten degrees can zero this maneuver before you can say "entering the box".
Cutting the power back before the roll would tighten your radius considerably and, in turn, off set the geometry. You want to keep the geometry as symetrical as possible. Doing the roll without any rudder or elevator input will cause the nose the drop anyways so if you start just before horizontal you will end just after horizontal.

-Kelly
Old 02-09-2004, 06:41 PM
ilikeplanes

I score 9's and 10's with this technique with a basic loop. I also use my right stick. I guess it's a mater of personal taste as long as you can score well.

I do have a problem of straightening out the roll. For me, it takes a little bit of planning to make the whole maneuver look good. Otherwise, I end up with an elongated loop with a roll in the middle. Yuk.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

This is a difficult maneuver to do well. The loop has to be round. Even while the plane is rolling at the top, the plane has to track a smooth circle of constant radius - NO Flat spot on top. The roll rate has to be constant. The roll has to start and stop the same distance from the top of the loop. The plane will be exactly level and upright at the top of the loop. You can start the roll anywhere you like, but the longer you make that roll, the slower it's got to be in order to be centered on the top of the loop.

Here's a "trick" to make it easier. When you start your roll, pretend you are doing a slow roll from upright and add in the same rudder and elevator commands you normally would. This will cause the plane to follow the radius of the loop while rolling. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I guess I start my roll with the nose still pointed slightly up and when it roll is completed, it is usually pointed level or slightly down.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:51 PM
CrashMeister

For the snaps, if you're having trouble with rotation, try using less rudder. If you have too much rudder throw, it tends to bury the snap. I use a switch for stall turns and do all other maneuvers with low rate rudder. It helps keep things smooth.

Craig.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:29 AM
RickP

Good stuff,
Thanks guys. Just seems to be that this ought to be the type of manuver you should be able to get a 9 or 10 on. I wanna start acing the simple manuvers and then work on to the more difficut. Ironically the way I do this one it looks horrible. I'll practice this weekend.
Rick
Old 02-10-2004, 04:54 PM
ilikeplanes

I hear that. I had a terrible time with my basic one turn spin last season. Sheesh. I lost points for forcing the stall, over rotation, and under rotation. My humpty bump was pretty ugly at first too. Getting help at the field from an experienced IMACer is the best thing you can do.

I'll try dual rates on the rudder. That could explain several problems I'm having with inconsistent spins/snaps and overdoing it on heading corrections. I guess I'll have to reconsider my thinking on rudder throws.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:40 PM
RickP

Are you guys saying that you use rudder in kife edge postions to get the nose of the airplane following the arc of the loop? I'll give it a shot, but it sound complicated LOL.
RickP
Old 02-11-2004, 07:56 PM
RightThrust

Rick, you can add a bit of rudder to keep the radius if you would like. You may as well get used to using the rudder alot in IMAC because you will only need it more as you move up. Next season you will have rollers.

-Kelly
Old 02-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would not use the rudder during the roll at the top of the loop. I would use it to correct during vertical and horizontal flight. ON rolling circles you will need to learn to use the rudder.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

This maneuver is a rolling circle in the vertical plane when done correctly. The pretty ones need a little rudder at the right time to make the plane follow the arc. Read my earlier post and try to fly it like I suggested.....