Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How to balance a carbon fiber prop?

The balance on my Fuchs 25x12 - 3 blade could use some tweaking. With wooden props or smaller composite props I would sand material off the trailing edge of the tip. Is that what I should do here?

Antony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: How to balance a carbon fiber prop?

Anthony,

That's what I did to my last Mejzlik that needed balancing. Seems to work fine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd recommend adding epoxy to the back side of the very tip of the appropriate blades. Rough the area with 400-600 grit paper first. Some guys like to spray clear gloss paint, but it takes to long to dry in my oppinion - and it looses weight as it dries.

I like using 5 minute epoxy......and working quickly. It's thick, so doesn't run too badly, and you can easily remove some if you add to much. Just keep spinning the prop and adding to the lightest blade. When you get two light blades, add the same amount to both. You should end up with epoxy on no more than 2 blades when you're done - in other words, remove some before adding to the third blade.

CJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A quality balancer (of course) and spray clear it evaporates in part so easy does it. I would suggest not to sand propeller tips(s) to balance unless its bvmjethead,who recommends it and the sweet picture is in fact the writer of the thread..[8D]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96544.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	161390  
    Fast Richard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No, that's not me.

I guess I should have noted that my Mejzlik needed only about 1/20th of a gram taken off one blade to balance. I probably could have just left her alone, but I had just spent the $$ on the DuBro balancer and I wanted to use it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I too have a HF 25x12 3 blade and I add small amounts of black tape to the hub to get it close then fine tune it by epoxy'ing it on. Works good on all my carbon fiber props...Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spray clear laquer (Top Flight clear Lustercote for example) on the back of the light blade. Do it a little at a time. I usually do a few light coats at a time till it's pretty good and balanced, then let it sit over night and tweak it as you will usually need another little coat again after the solvent evaporates. This method doesn't change the airfoil of the blade like sanding or epoxy. If it off just a slight amount, then sanding should be fine.

If it's a two blade, don't forget to hub balance it then.

...Mark
    Avoid zen aerobatics...when the ground........and the plane.......become as one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw a tip about using the self sticking Monocoat sheet material. I'm going to try that next as I have white and florescent orange already.
    The ultimate responsibility of pilots is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions who can only stare skyward...and wish.

"It's a new day for Auburn" - Gus Malzahn