Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Diff between IMAC n AA ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 10:53 AM
RCFREEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff between IMAC n AA ?

Whats the diff b/w IMAC and Artistic aerobatics? can AA planes perform as good maneouvers as the IMAC ones?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Diff between IMAC n AA ?

OK, call me dumb, but what is AA?

ORIGINAL: RCFREEK

Whats the diff b/w IMAC and Artistic aerobatics? can AA planes perform as good maneouvers as the IMAC ones?
Old 08-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Tim_Indy

Yeah Geistware, you ARE dumb!!!! I thought EVERYBODY knew was AA was! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH............

(Ppssssttttt..........RCFREEK, just between you and me, what IS AA? Anything like, uh, pattern planes? If so, then pattern planes get the nod, and fly better. They are designed to FLY well, while IMAC types are designed first to LOOK like real planes. One is a model plane, the other is a model OF a plane with some flight limitations)
Old 08-04-2004, 01:36 PM
RCFREEK

AA means artistic aerobatics
Old 08-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Baron Johnson

Artisitc Aerobatics can be compared to Freestyle in IMAC (i.e. flight choreographed to music, includes 3D). However the majority of IMAC flying is precision sequence flying and the freestyle is a stand-alone event held usually at the conclusion of the contest.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Geistware

SO is Artisitc Aerobatics done with Scale Aerobatic planes or Pattern planes or something completely different!

ORIGINAL: Baron Johnson
Artisitc Aerobatics can be compared to Freestyle in IMAC (i.e. flight choreographed to music, includes 3D). However the majority of IMAC flying is precision sequence flying and the freestyle is a stand-alone event held usually at the conclusion of the contest.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Baron Johnson

2m pattern planes (usually with larger control surfaces)
Old 08-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Baron Johnson

I forgot... it includes helicopters too...

http://artistic-aerobatics.com/
Old 08-05-2004, 05:48 AM
Geistware

THanks Baron,
Learn something new every day in this hobby!
Old 08-05-2004, 09:18 AM
RCFREEK

AA's done with planes like the CA models 'fantasy' , epsilon and the famous CPLR majestic(im not sure about this one). sum1 told me that AA is imac style flying with pattern planes, of course with lareger control surfaces.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Tim_Indy

Get more info on Artistic Aerobatics at the official site here: http://www.artistic-aerobatics.org/# . I'm still thinking that these planes can fly better than IMAC planes mainly because they can be designed to FLY and all bad flight characteristics can be designed out. IMAC planes have to look like full scale planes thus might share negative flight characteristics.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:10 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, AA planes are restricted to the same rules as F3A pattern planes.

And yes, they fly better than your average IMAC plane, simply because they are clean and purpose designed. IMAC planes are scale, and have limitations, although most of the good ones will perform very VERY well.

AA planes will 3D very well, but not quite as well as true 3D planes. Artistic Aerobatics incorporates precision and 3D and is flown to music.

It's similar to the IMAC freestyle, but not like IMAC itself. I never have understood why most people associate a hovering Extra with IMAC. Same plane, but totally different discipline. Odd.

-Mike
Old 08-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Baron Johnson

ORIGINAL: Tim_Indy

Get more info on Artistic Aerobatics at the official site here: http://www.artistic-aerobatics.org/# . I'm still thinking that these planes can fly better than IMAC planes mainly because they can be designed to FLY and all bad flight characteristics can be designed out. IMAC planes have to look like full scale planes thus might share negative flight characteristics.
it's all about the setup... a pattern/AA plane without a good setup won't fly nearly as good. Likewise, a good setup will make an IMAC plane groove very well...
Old 08-06-2004, 11:38 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We went thru this drill a long time ago --and as others found - the real difference is simply perceived difference.
Some pattern fans are adamant that the only perfect flying models are some overpriced all CF foreign design.
Even when they get their ass handed to em on a platter by someone flying a scale design -they see that as just a fluke .
A few years back - a friend SS(who won the TOC flying a a very large bipe) called me to say he had been practicing pattern with his popular pattern design and comparing actual maneuver accuracy with his TOC model.
His feeling was that he could fly the pattern better -lying on his back with one eye closed-with his TOC scale model.
The thingies which rely on highest power and lowest wing loading get the pole position on the unlimited aerobatics - But - If you make the thingy retain some scale outlines - it works just as well .
After comparing and building years worth of lots of sweep /aspect ratios / wide fuselage (whatever that is) designs - I am pretty sure that all that really matters for the new stuf is incredible power to weight and super low wing loadings.
The rest - just make it look good to you.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:39 AM
Acrobat

Pattern planes with standard controls make excelent AA planes, hence the one in this shot. You can have the best of all worlds i guess.

The better I get sadly the less my heros impress me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27272.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	163358  
Old 09-12-2004, 02:46 AM
scottfl78

Well I bet the ExtremeFlight Yak-54 WITH A ys 1.10 could do this "AA" with the best of them, and it is scale and wins IMAC's TOO!! Just my $0.02