IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

AEROWORKS 40% ULTIMATE

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 04:17 PM
xtra 330
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEROWORKS 40% ULTIMATE

who out there has one of these and is currently flying it in IMAC??If you do have one,how about a little insight on performance and engine set-up with Cannisters?Thanks.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:34 PM
morpower
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: AEROWORKS 40% ULTIMATE

Hello:

There is a guy in my club who has one. He used a DA 150 and had to put all the servos and gear on the FIREWALL to get it to balance. I believe it is made for a 200 cc's weight. Jerry and I have H9 46% ultimates. I think the 42% flies a litter better than the H9 and the rudder on the AW is more effective. All in all the DA 150 does a fine job, the plane was 10 times the work to put together than the H9 according to jerry. --john
Old 09-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Blow n Go

I have been flying one in IMAC for two seasons. It is fine for competition through intermediate, and maybe advanced. It is grossly underpowered for Unlimited with a 150............which, unfortunately, is what I was trying to do with it. Here are some things I learned in set-up with a DA 150:

As John stated, EVERYTHING, including the kitchen sink has to go as far forward as possible. Batteries on the firewall and rudder servos against the rear cabane support.

The best pattern prop is a 30-12. It will not perform 3D, though.

If you want pattern and 3D, use a 28-12 three blade or a 32-10 two blade. It will take about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle to hover.

Set 3 degrees of up thrust and at least three degrees of right thrust. Right thrust is dependent on your prop selection. The 28-12 requires almost 4 degrees. The 32-10 needs exactly three degrees.

Reinforce the main and tail gear wood mounting pads. The Chinese laminated wood WILL eventually break apart, even if you never touch hard.

Reinforce the dowel holes for the top wing with brass. They take a lot of stress and wallow out, making the wing unstable. I even had to bush the aluminum support rib after 500 flights, as the dowel holes wear oval.

Carry extra flying wire material to the field. You will start to pop them every hundred flights or so. If one breaks you will be OK. Two on the same wing, and Bye-Bye wing!! If you don't do wild 3D, they will last indefinitely.

Chip recommends drilling lightening holes in the rudder, elevators, and ailerons. They reduce the fat and help get the CG forward. AW says not to do it............but!?!

My can installation went fairly easy, but you have to shorten the headers, as the lower wing tube is in the way. I couldn't shorten the flex headers enough, and the striaght stainless don't fit with 4 degrees of right thrust. Choose the straight aluminum headers and use a torch to massage the bends to perfectly fit the openings. I have had no further trouble with headers once I switched to the aluminum. Header length will be right at the 10" minimum that DA recommends.

I tried a 3W200, but couldn't keep a crankshaft in it (went through 5). A 3w212 would be the perfect choice for this model to get the power to weight in the correct Unlimited range. The plane is a blast to fly with the 150, but you are at a severe handicap in competition against the extras.

Gee, guess you got me going on this! My Ultimate was the second production one flying in the country. (AW didn't mention this to me until I started pressing them hard for set-up tips........which they couldn't give) With over 1,200 flights, I would be suprised to find another with more air time. Have fun, it really is a good plane.........for an ARF!?! And I will put mine head to head against the Hanger 9 any day!

CJ
Old 09-02-2004, 11:51 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

A fellow who flys locally to me has a ZDZ 210 in his and he says it works great- a consideration.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:52 PM
DrYankum
My Feedback: (11)

I just finished balancing my aw ultimate. Took out two servos from the tail, leaving one on each elevator, all the batteries as far forward as possible, 4, in all. 2 2700 mah nimh, 2 1300 nicads, and I still needed 8lbs of lead in the nose. That's unbelievable. I've got a DA150. Rudder servos are pull-pull slightly behind the cg. I can't imagine flying it with that much added weight. Anyone out there with similar set up?
Old 10-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Blow n Go

Add the weight for the maiden flight, but you should be able to remove most (if not all) of it. The recommended CG is pretty conservative that AW gives.

CJ
Old 10-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Blow n Go

Add the weight for the maiden flight, but you should be able to remove most (if not all) of it. The recommended CG is pretty conservative that AW gives.

CJ
Old 11-01-2005, 09:21 AM
gdavisjr
My Feedback: (51)

I know this is an old thread.... but I'm looking at an Aeroworks Ultimate 42%. How much weight have people been adding to get it to balance with a 150? The post above mentioned 8lbs... Did he mean 8 oz's maybe? Just wanted to hear from some other folks on the subject.

Gerry