Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Please Help Want to try IMAC

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 10:04 PM
Welsh3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Want to try IMAC

I've had my Edge and all equipment and two people in a Toyota Yaris (5 door) .... with not too much effort.

It goes well in the Renault Espace!!!
Old 08-19-2002, 03:43 PM
Dangerous Dan
My Feedback: (1)

Default Please Help Want to try IMAC

Shortman,
Sounds like a great set up. what do you calculate the final weight and wing loading to be?
Old 11-11-2003, 05:00 PM
rjmech
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Please Help Want to try IMAC

All,
All Extra's (except the first 230's)are certified aerobatic, monoplanes, some people (Patty W.) put a cover over the front place, and fly from the rear, ala edge540(not 540T). The 300 is the basic AEIO-540 powered mid wing. The 300L is the low wing version of the 300. The 300S is the single seat version, w/ shorter wings and fuselage. The 300XS is the same as 300S but w/ experimental control surfaces made bigger for high aoa flight.The 330extras are just a 300L/S/XS w/ an uprated, high compression, blueprinted AEIO-540 that is producing 330+hp. There is also the Extra 260 that was produced but I dont know much about it, I think a smaller single place airframe w/ an IO-540(260 hp). Also the Edge540 is an off shoot of the 300S, a composite company owner said he could build a better wing for the 300 from composites and did it, the wing was so good he decided to build an entire airframe and boom Edge 540.
Clear as mud..Good
PS Some people have said that CAP's have extra300 wings, this is not true Extra made the wings for some CAP's built to CAP specifications.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:29 AM
Ultimate

I'll second Welsh 3d's statements, I'm putting together a Glens 30% airframe with a zenoah 62. It builds into a 16lb model, with a 86 inch span two piece wing. Its a kit, so you have to build it, but its a fairly quick and simple build. Its designed to give large throws for 3d performance, and its also suitable for IMAC. These kits have a huge following in the UK, and are considered one of the best in their class. The model will fit in my Nissan Micra, although I cant take any passengers !

If you are concerned about the price of fuel for the larger glos, then either :

spend a bit more and get a petrol sized model, the fuel savings in the long run will more than make up for the higher initial cost. A bigger model makes flying the sequences accurately easier as you can see the corrections required sooner.

or

get a 60 sized glo model. For entry level IMAC it would be fine. After a year you can then decide how commited to IMAC you are and get the bigger model if you wish.

I have two 120 size models, and the fuel costs are significant. But its not just the price of fuel, I have to make extra trips to my LHS, which is an hour round trip typically in traffic, and I have to pay to park too. Thats why I went the petrol route.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Snaplooproll

I'd avoid Creek Hobbies airplanes.

Scan these forums and find out why.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Re-Builder

As far as I can see, the selection of different planes is like trying to get a Chevy driver to buy a Ford. I was told by several people NOT to buy from Creek Hobbies. I was told the planes were junk and if they ever crashed, they couldn't be fixed. I looked around and found the price to be key for me.

After speaking with the people at Creek, I bought the plane. They were very nice. Since then, the service has not even been "good" but the plane is - IMHO - very good. I set it up with the servos in the tail section "as per the instructions", and it required 2lbs of lead to balance! Moved the servos up to the CG and it needs just 1.5 oz to balance. I cut the covering off the bottom so I could properly install and brace up the push-rods for the Elev. halves and the pull pull rudder. Then I'm going to recover it. I was surprised by the contruction. EVERYTHING is braced with triangle stock and is very secure.

Paying higher prices doesn't mean you get better quality. If I crashed on my next flight, I would hope what I always hope...."please let the components survive, I can always get another airframe."

BTW, I chose the Katana 120 with an OS 1.60. Replaced the gear with aluminum painted black and that's about it. Great Plane. Creek has great stuff just no customer service. I can deal with that.

RB
Old 11-17-2003, 03:24 PM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

Some clarification on the Full scale stuff mentioned earlier.

The Edge is not an offshoot of the Extra, but rather a better version of the Laser. Zivco Aeronautics designed the Edge wing (Straight Leading Edge) for the Laser to improve performance. Mods lead to mods lead to mods and the Edge 540 was born. The Cap series of airplanes (specifically the Cap 231 EX, which Matt Chapman flies) is an Avons Maudry Cap 231 with the wing built by Walter Extra (hense the EX after the 231. The Cap 232 came about when the 231EX started beating the Extra 300 series aircraft with their own wing, so Walter pulled his wing from Avons Maudry, and Avons Maudry started building their own wing for the Cap, and redesignated it the 232. Now, if you want to get into Cap numbers, the Cap 222 is the Giles G-202, built under license by Avons Maudry for the European market. The Cap 230 had wings with cuffs, similar to the current new thoroughbred Katana, which is an Italian design that not much information can be found out about in the full scale world, but it rocks in the RC world.

Are we confused yet?

The info about the Extra's is accurate. Except Patty flies a 300XS, with enlarged surfaces and a maxed out engine. She used to fly a 260, it is on display at the Smithsonian. She never flew a 300L (2 place) with the front hole covered. The only pilot I can think of that flew a 2 holer was Rocky Hill (AOL "Tumble Time" but it was damaged by a runaway Cub or something and he ordered a 300S to replace it.) Kirby Chamblis has 2 edge's, one 540, and a 540T, but he uses the 540 for his airshow act.

Hope this clears some stuff up...I found most of this bu scrubbing the web, others in magazines, and some from talking to the pilots themselfs.

Jon