My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Please Help Want to try IMAC

I am interested in getting into beginner IMAC. I have a Greatplanes Extra 300 40 size ARF with a Saito 100(Dont you love overkill). I have a few dumb questions that need answering.

I have downloaded the IMAC flying and judging guide as well as the CD guide and I can not find reference to scale pilot requirement, % deviation from scale, specifics on what scale aircraft are allowed?

Are you limited to Laser, Extra, and EDGE for IMAC?(that is all I see people beyond basic flying)

I would like try basic with the plane listed above any suggestions to setup?

I like the edge because of its advertised slow speed and landing characteristics, but I have been told though this is a great 3D plane an Extra is better for IMAC. Can you explain?

What is the difference between an Extra 300 and an Extra 330, 330L?

How much effect does running a 2 stroke with the tank forward of the CG effect flying characteristics as the tank gets low keeping IMAC in mind?

On a 2 stroke you balance with an empty tank, then put 8 to 24 oz of fuel forward of the CG, on a gasser the fuel tank is on the CG how does this effect balance and flying characteristics?

Can you place a 2 stroke OS 160 in, lets say a Creek Hobbies Extra, with a pump and place the tank over the CG? What type of pump would you use? Would you recommend this?

I am interested in the Creek Hobbies line of models because of cost and positive reviews thus far which one of these would you suggest for my next IMAC plane and why? I want a two peace wing.

What engine would you suggest in The Creek Hobbies line of models my next IMAC plane and why?

What servo setup(overkill is ok) would you suggest in the Creek Planes?

Describe the perfect setup on Creek Models line of planes ietank, horns, servos, locations, engine, mountetc

I have a H9 Pizzaz on order for the sole purpose of learning 3D. If I fly sportsman with one of your 120 aerobats can I switch to the Pizzaz when freestyle comes around or does the requirements for freestyle coincide with IMAC pattern requirements?

My GP Extra is ready for its maiden flight, how would you suggest I approach plane setup to ready it for IMAC Basic?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 08-15-2002, 01:57 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Please Help Want to try IMAC

Originally posted by dntmn
I am interested in getting into beginner IMAC. I have a Greatplanes Extra 300 40 size ARF with a Saito 100(Dont you love overkill). I have a few dumb questions that need answering.

***Get rid of the Saito 100 - put a smaller - LIGHTER engine in the plane. The extra weight will GREATLY deminish the flying characteristics of the plane. You don't need the extra power in basic; however, you do need a smooth flying plane w/o any bad characteristics.***

I have downloaded the IMAC flying and judging guide as well as the CD guide and I can not find reference to scale pilot requirement, % deviation from scale, specifics on what scale aircraft are allowed?

***Great Start!!! In basic, you can fly pretty much anything - although some CD's do not allow pattern type planes. Also, the scale pilot/instrument panel rule does not apply to basic. In Sportsman and above, you have to have a 3 demensional pilot (no profile pilots) and an instrument panel. You also have to have a scale model of a plane which has competed in IAC competitin. YES, Extra, Edges, Giles, Caps are popular, but there are a lot of other planes which are "IMAC Legal" as well. The above ones are popular because they fly extremely well. Also, the 10% deviation rule went away this year. the new rule leaves a lot of room for interputation so check with the CD if you are going to use something which might be a stretch.*****

Are you limited to Laser, Extra, and EDGE for IMAC?(that is all I see people beyond basic flying)

***See above****

I would like try basic with the plane listed above any suggestions to setup?

****Again - lose the engine and try to get it light. Set up should be VERY mild. The object of IMAC flying is SMOOTH - large control throws and way aft CG's make this impossible. ******

I like the edge because of its advertised slow speed and landing characteristics, but I have been told though this is a great 3D plane an Extra is better for IMAC. Can you explain?

****Both are excellent designs. The Edge seems to wander a bit in rolls - point rolls, rolling circle, etc. The Extra seems to "groove" better. The Edge is rock solid in 3D - no wing rock, etc. The Extra rocks slightly, but is still very good. A lot of it is because of the straight leading edge on the Edge and the slight taper on the Extra.*****

What is the difference between an Extra 300 and an Extra 330, 330L?

***There is an argument that the 330 technically does not exhist, but that is a whole different story!!! (I am sure I will get lots of questions on that one!) For the most part, the L means the wing is LOW as opposed to a mid-wing placement. The 330 also has a bigger rudder and vertical fin. This allows the extra to perform in Knife Edge much better***

How much effect does running a 2 stroke with the tank forward of the CG effect flying characteristics as the tank gets low keeping IMAC in mind?

****It will change your trim settings for pitch. It really depends on tank size and airplane size to determine HOW MUCH it will effect it. The point is that with a glow engine (and gas) only use a tank size big enough to take off, trim pass, fly two sequences, and land. Anything else is wasted weight. *****

On a 2 stroke you balance with an empty tank, then put 8 to 24 oz of fuel forward of the CG, on a gasser the fuel tank is on the CG how does this effect balance and flying characteristics?

***See above, but the plane will become much moer pitch sensitive as the gas burns out.*****

Can you place a 2 stroke OS 160 in, lets say a Creek Hobbies Extra, with a pump and place the tank over the CG? What type of pump would you use? Would you recommend this?

****Not sure - anyone else ????****

I am interested in the Creek Hobbies line of models because of cost and positive reviews thus far which one of these would you suggest for my next IMAC plane and why? I want a two peace wing.

****Again - not sure, I have not flown any of their models. Remember - bigger flys better. Other planes in that catagory that I know fly well is the Hangar 9 Cap 232 ARF and the Aeroworks Edge line*****

What engine would you suggest in The Creek Hobbies line of models my next IMAC plane and why?

***Stick with the manufacturers suggested size. This will give you a nice balance between power and weight. An overpowered -overweight plane flys like junk. A moderately powered, light wing loading plane flys awesome!!!****

What servo setup(overkill is ok) would you suggest in the Creek Planes?

****I would not go with regular standards like Futaba 3003, etc. You also do not need digitals, but if your wallet will allow it - go for it. A nice percision servo like a Futaba 9202 or JR 4721 would be ideal Hitec's are good too, but I would stick with the digitals 5645 or 5625. You want a very percise servo - i.e. good centering - more than speed or power.****

Describe the perfect setup on Creek Models line of planes ietank, horns, servos, locations, engine, mountetc

***No idea - don't own one.***

I have a H9 Pizzaz on order for the sole purpose of learning 3D. If I fly sportsman with one of your 120 aerobats can I switch to the Pizzaz when freestyle comes around or does the requirements for freestyle coincide with IMAC pattern requirements?

You still have to fly a SCALE airplane in the freestyle. Sorry.

My GP Extra is ready for its maiden flight, how would you suggest I approach plane setup to ready it for IMAC Basic?

***See above - again - You are WAY overpowered and certainly way overweight. This is not a problem when you are banging the sticks around having fun on a Satruday afternoon. But if you want to fly with percision, a smalle/lighter engine will be much better!!***

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 08-15-2002, 02:22 PM
Hubb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

umm, those are a lot of questions. Ill try and help with some of them.

your gp extra 40 will be fine for entry level flying. I started with a gp extra .60 kit with a 1.08 so thats not overkill

I would start with properly balancing and trimming the plane before you get to the manuvers. you can find trim charts at the IMAC site or at nsrca.org. I have flown many beginer planes and have noticed a trend towards WAY too much elevator and aileron throws. also that saito might be great on power but make sure you are not too nose heavy.

Basic class does not require you follow scale rules. it is meant as an introductory class to attract interest from guys like yourself. any sport type of airplane can be flown. however, here are the details from the rules: all aircraft must not deviate more than 10% of scale. all aircraft must have a scale pilot and instrument panel. there is a 1% flight score penalty if you dont. but as I said that does not include the basic class only sportsman and up. remember in IMAC we try to emulate the full scale planes and format for competition, hence the rules.

the edge, extra and cap are the most popular planes I think only because that is what the major manufacturers are producing. you are not limited to these planes only. I have flown a staudacher, ultimate bipe, one design in IMAC. right now I fly a 35% extra. at that size (and 40%) the extra seems to be the better plane for IMAC sequence flying, but they all have thier own characteristics and many people have thier own opinions.

I am not familliar with creek hobby products. a 1.60 engine would seem to be a good choice for a 1.20 airframe though. quality servos such as any of the top digitals make the biggest difference in any plane. and you pretty much answered yourself about locating the feul tank on the CG. as the tank runs empty your balance can certainly change if you tank is not on the CG. all my planes have the feul tanks on the CG.

hope that answers SOME of you questions

Hubb
Old 08-15-2002, 02:23 PM
Dangerous Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the great responces to my questions. The Greatplanes Extra 300 40 size arf requires a .40 to .51 2 stroke. I origionally had a MDS .58 which weighed 20.45 oz. I was extremly displeased with this motor and only flew once with it and had a dead stick landing. The saito 100 weighed 20.5 oz, Hopefully it will fly well with this motor my pockets are empty after the Sato 100 purchase and it would be hard to dish out $$ for a new motor at this time, I plan to practice with the GP extra, but purchase a 120 size aerobat for my first IMAC fly.

I have a couple of more questions:

If you were on a budget and had to purchase a 120 size, ARF, preferbly with a 2 peace wing for IMAC flying which one would you purchase and what power source would you use?

Back to the gas tank thing. When you balence a 2 stroke empty then add fuel the CG shifts dramatacly forward. When you balence a gasses with the tank over the CG the CG remains the same. Is there different CG points depending on wether you will be installing a gasser or a 2 stroke?

Example you balence a 2 stroke type plane 4" behing the leading edge with an empty tank to mfg recomendations. You then add fuel and the CG shifts to 2" behing the leading edge. If you moved the tank over the CG with a pump where would the CG be at 2" or at 4"?

Thanks again for your help
Old 08-15-2002, 03:55 PM
Fly4Fun2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by dntmn
Thanks for the great responces to my questions. The Greatplanes Extra 300 40 size arf requires a .40 to .51 2 stroke. I origionally had a MDS .58 which weighed 20.45 oz. I was extremly displeased with this motor and only flew once with it and had a dead stick landing. The saito 100 weighed 20.5 oz, Hopefully it will fly well with this motor my pockets are empty after the Sato 100 purchase and it would be hard to dish out $$ for a new motor at this time, I plan to practice with the GP extra, but purchase a 120 size aerobat for my first IMAC fly.

I have a couple of more questions:

If you were on a budget and had to purchase a 120 size, ARF, preferbly with a 2 peace wing for IMAC flying which one would you purchase and what power source would you use?

****The hangar 9 Cap 232 ARF is hard to beat and you can get good prices on them. The Creek Hobbies planes look good, I just do not have any experience with them***

Back to the gas tank thing. When you balence a 2 stroke empty then add fuel the CG shifts dramatacly forward. When you balence a gasses with the tank over the CG the CG remains the same. Is there different CG points depending on wether you will be installing a gasser or a 2 stroke?

***Nope - same CG pionts - the airplane does not care if you are flying gas or glow. A forward CG is OK and AFT CG is NOT! This is why you balance with the tank empty.****

Example you balence a 2 stroke type plane 4" behing the leading edge with an empty tank to mfg recomendations. You then add fuel and the CG shifts to 2" behing the leading edge. If you moved the tank over the CG with a pump where would the CG be at 2" or at 4"?

**SEE ABOVE -- balance it with the tank empty and according to the manufacturer's suggestions. If the CG Changes 2" on a 120 size plane, I would suspect that you are using WAY too large of a fuel tank.****

Thanks again for your help
Old 08-15-2002, 08:22 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dntmn,
I will try to answer all of the questions you have.
Question:Are you limited to Laser, Extra, and EDGE for IMAC?(that is all I see people beyond basic flying)
A: You can use any plane in basic even a trainer.

Q: I like the edge because of its advertised slow speed and landing characteristics, but I have been told though this is a great 3D plane an Extra is better for IMAC. Can you explain?
A: for basic it will not make a difference. The difference at the basic level is not noticeable.

Q:What is the difference between an Extra 300 and an Extra 330, 330L?
A: I don't know

Q: How much effect does running a 2 stroke with the tank forward of the CG effect flying characteristics as the tank gets low keeping IMAC in mind?
A: As in the statement above, In basic class you will not notice the difference.

Q: On a 2 stroke you balance with an empty tank, then put 8 to 24 oz of fuel forward of the CG, on a gasser the fuel tank is on the CG how does this effect balance and flying characteristics?
A: The flying characteristics of the plane will change as the fuel is consumed. I have found that I notice the difference and it changes the trim on my plan and how it handles inverted flight.

Q: Can you place a 2 stroke OS 160 in, lets say a Creek Hobbies Extra, with a pump and place the tank over the CG? What type of pump would you use? Would you recommend this?
A: You can do this with a Perry Pump. It is an oscillating pump that uses the vibration of the engine to drive the fuel

Q: What engine would you suggest in The Creek Hobbies line of models my next IMAC plane and why?
A: I don't know line this is.

Q: What servo setup(overkill is ok) would you suggest in the Creek Planes?
A: I would recommend any 70oz servo.

Q: Describe the perfect setup on Creek Models line of planes ietank, horns, servos, locations, engine, mountetc

Q: I have a H9 Pizzaz on order for the sole purpose of learning 3D. If I fly sportsman with one of your 120 aerobats can I switch to the Pizzaz when freestyle comes around or does the requirements for freestyle coincide with IMAC pattern requirements?

Q:My GP Extra is ready for its maiden flight, how would you suggest I approach plane setup to ready it for IMAC Basic?
A: Get the plane to fly straight. That is the most important thing.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:08 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Where did you guys download the judging and IMAC flying guide at?
Old 08-16-2002, 07:37 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Trimming guide

Originally posted by Shortman
The pattern site under the button labeled "technical" will bring up a trim chart.
http://www.nsrca.org/

The IMAC site has a wealth of information.
http://www.mini-iac.com/

EXCAP232
Old 08-16-2002, 11:25 AM
Fly4Fun2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Shortman

www.mini-iac.com and then look under the IMAC Rules section and you will see the link for the download.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:05 PM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do yourself a favor- find the model with the lightest possible wingloading and most power possible for the airframe- Forget which is your favorite looking model.
Practice with this thing until you get a feel for positioning.
Almost without exception, the current crop of ARF's (scale type) are too heavy - meaning not enouh power and excessive wing loading.
Tho these CAN be flown well - but they are NOT good trainers.
If you are using a smaller model-say a glo setup under 1000 square inch area-
get a 3D model which will calculate out to well under 20 oz /sq ft- then set it up for precision flying- decreased rates - and a more forward cg-
prop it for unlimited vertical from a idle.
Speed is not a requirement.
Unless you have have tried this kind of setup - you simply can't appreciate how much easier it is to use.
Once you get the hang of this arrangement - you can go for wild throws and aft c/g-
Then build the largest model you can easily handle and transport.
We have done 80" models at under 11 lbs with 40cc gas engines and these will fly all th Unlimited stuff as easily or more easily than the best 40% models - Not just my opinion-so a huge model is really not necessary but they do present better and give better impression points.
IMAC is fun -as long as you don't make it an exercise in frustration, trying to herd a overweight /underpowered model thru the learning stages.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Dangerous Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW!
20 oz/Sq ft is light a 73" span 970 sqinch extra would have to weigh 8.42 pounds, I cannot find any 120 size arf's that get even close they all come in 25 to 29 oz /sq ft. Is there an 120 size arf that you can do this with. I love to build but do not have time so I am limited to an arf, and also do to the size of my car I would like to have a 2 peace wing.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:48 PM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My point -exactly -these are all cute models but plenty hefty.
Maybe there is a B ARF out there which is light enough - I just have yet to see one -
Old 08-16-2002, 01:18 PM
Fly4Fun2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You could buy used if you do not have time to build. The Aeroworks 25% Edge is a great model for a 120 size engine. It also has a two part wing.

Again - I have seen many Hangar 9 Cap 232's compete in basic and win. The Hangar 9 Edge is also very competive. The CG Extra - while not an ARF - is another GREAT flying plane that you can pick up used for a decent price. The Dave Patrick Extra is a good arf, but not as light as advertised. Besides, by the time you are done, you are looking at close to $1500 for it - you could find a really good used 30% for that amount.

While you do not want to be too heavy, don't go to the other extreem and be too light. I have a lot of respect for Dick - his knowledge and experience is well known and appreciated, I personally feel the wing loading is a little too light. Most of your contests are flown in moderate to heavy winds it seems. Too light, and you won't penetrate well and the plane will get bounced around. This is an issue even with the bigger planes. On a windy day, a 40-42lb Carden will be rock solid, while a 34-35lb FiberClassics or Troybuilt will either bounce around OR fly incredibly fast in order to lessen the effects of the wind. Too heavy, and you get poor vertical performance and lousy flight characteristics. You see a lot of the top guys flying Feberclassics and now the Troybuilt Von Extra because they need the vertical performance for multiple snaps on the uplines. They also know how to compensate for wind. A Novice pilot does not need to worry about the vertical performance and has probably not tried to fly with percision in a 15mph crosswind.

Bottom line - don't look for something which does not exhist (i.e. a 9 lb 120 size arf with decent aerobatic qualities). Take a look are what others are flying in your class and get something similar. Then go out, burn 20 gallons of fuel and kick their butts!
Old 08-16-2002, 01:58 PM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sure -all that stuff flys--but being too light? -that will NOT happen - too slow and too light - that does happen-
For the newcomer - I still say -go for the light setup - typically a newcomer does not fly in 15-20 mph winds - He needs something that is EZ to fly -forgiving and does not suffer from trim changes due to speed changes due to being overweight .underpowered.
BTW, my under 20 oz loading model handles wind extremely well - simply because it will easily accelerate thru the upwind/cross wind stuff.
Big planes have scale effect(RN) and momentum going for them - a little model does not.
9 lb good aerobatic ARFS probably don't exist - outside of expensive FAI pattern models but that doesn't mean one should just give up on the idea - a little bit of work can solvea lot of problems.
I have flown H9 zdz40 models at 13.5 lbs which I can fly thru the Unlimited sequence in pretty good style.
But compared with my light model - same engine - no comparison in how easily the same pattern is flown.
Try it.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:49 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what plane/kit is this "light" model you keep referring to. i know i would love a plane about that size with that wing loading. please tell us so we can get one too!!!
tony
Old 08-16-2002, 05:41 PM
Shortman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hansen how did you set-up your H9 edge? I was going to put an os 1.60 fx to save the weight of a gasser and quite a lot of carbon fiber parts
Old 08-16-2002, 05:57 PM
ilikeplanes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good thread. I may also want to do the IMAC thing. It's very popular in my area.

For me, the reason a light plane is better is that it's just simply slower. More time to do a maneuver, more time between maneuvers to get back on line, more time to do good landings, and more time to compensate for wind. Remember, wind blows on heavy model just like a small model. The only advantage to a heavy model is when the wind abruptly changes (gusts) and the greater mass accelerates less. F=ma

I have slope soared gliders with 10 oz/sqft in 20 mph winds. Its not a big problem (except your upwind ground speed in very slow).

When I had my beloved CG Ultimate, it had very light wing loading, a big wide fuselage, and handled wind just fine.

Bottom line for me is the more time I have to fly the sequence, the better I'll fly it.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:22 PM
Dangerous Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thank all of you for your help! If any of you are like me you have several planes in the hanger, are working on a new plane, reparing an old plane, have your next one picked out and on order, and are researching the next one! I am currently researching for an IMAC plane and I am sure with all of your generous help, I will make the right decisions and learn by asking instead of making mistakes. Once again thanks for all of your replies and help. I will let you know when I make the final decision on my first IMAC plane. Here is what I have narrowed it down to so far. These are all 120 size ARF's

Hanger 9 Edge
Hanger 9 Cap 232
Aeroworke Edge 60/90
Creek Katana
Creek Extra
Sig Extra 300xs

Thanks again
Old 08-16-2002, 10:40 PM
Welsh3D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll second the H9 Edge, mine at 12lbs does all the IMAC stuff perfectly, but I must be honest that the ideal setup really is the Saito 180.....

Moki 1.35 is lighter and apparently more powerful, but it's just not right in it.

The whole sound and silence of the 4C's is a lot more pleasing too!

Having said that, everyone seems happy with their OS 160s!!

Get an H9 Edge, they do everything, very easily!!
Old 08-17-2002, 02:59 AM
imacflyr3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default a couple comments

I have a couple things to add.
First, I suggest getting a current copy of the scale aerobatic rules, not just the flying and judging guide. You can find answers to your scale questions there. I believe the rules quoted earlier are out of date.

As for what plane to choose, there are just too many to name that would be great to get you started. I started with the Midwest Giles 202 w/ super tigre 2300. I flew this plane through basic and sportsman and did fairly well. This year, I've been flying a 73" H9 Cap 232 w/ Saito 180 in intermediate. I have to also recommend this engine! It's amazing! The H9 Edge would be great. The new Great Planes Patty Wagstaff 1/4 scale Arf is VERY nice as well. I flew a contest in Chicago last weekend where one of the guys was flying one of these w/ Moki 2.1. Excellent combo!
The most important thing would be to find a plane you're comfortable with, use the best servos YOU CAN AFFORD, and practice as much as possible!!
For your question about setting up your plane for IMAC, don't set your surface throws very high. Set your ailerons so you get about 360 degrees of roll per second max. Set your elevator so you can get nice smooth lines and still be able to pull out of a vertical dive comfortably. In other words, set your plane up to fly the sequences, not 3-D!! Work on flying as smoothly as possible.

Gary Hunt
Rantoul, Il
Old 08-17-2002, 03:49 AM
Flyfalcons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The best way to get a great flying IMAC plane is to take the one you have, trim it really well, and put 100 bucks of glow fuel through it. Don't wait to get a bigger plane to compete with; practice with your Extra and compete with it. My 40-size Extra kit has won at the basic level, and would be quite competitive at the Sportsman level.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:44 PM
Dangerous Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks again for all of your help!

Where can I download the scale aerobatic rules?

I agree that the H9 Edge is nice, Is wing loading seems to be at the best, when comparing it to other similar size arf's. The only thing I wish it had was 2 peace wing. I drive a Toyota corolla and it would be heck to fit a 1 peace 78" wing. Also I agree that the saito 180 would be a great combo. I own a Saito 72 and a Saito 100., but the cost is really up there, Saito 180 $400 OS 160 $300 (motor $250 Pits Muff $50). Also I can run 10% nitro in the 160 for $11 a gallon, but a good 20/20 or 30/20 for the Saito is $25 a gallon. Everybody agrees that I need to fly-fly-fly-to be competative to fly-fly-fly means fuel-fuel fuel. What advantages would I see with the Saito 180 vs the OS 160(besides a few oz lighter), Has anybody seen both fly. I really like the looks of the creek hobbies Katana, look @ creek hobbies.com. It has a two peace wing, and is different. I think being different would give you an impression advantage. 90% of planes I have seen in IMAC are Extra, Cap, and Edge. The price is extremly attractive for these planes, but they are new and I am waiting to see more commentary and reviews before I jump on one. Besides I have noticed from researching threads that you never want by an ARF that is in its first productions runs. That there will always be some minor problems that will be corrected after customer feedback in later production runs. I wish the H9 Edge was a two peace wing. Has anybody ever heard of anyone doing a two peace wing conversion to a H9 edgw?

Thanks again for all of your help
Old 08-17-2002, 02:36 PM
Welsh3D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It could be done, but you would have to keep the existing wood spar and Dihedral brace. Due to the design of the wing halves' fitting, it would result in a floppy wing.

The halves would stay attached as both halves are double bolted to the fuselage, but as i said, the wing would flex, and from that the spar socket would wear, = not good!!

I do, however much agree, that a 2 piece wing would have been a worthy addition/option to the kit.

If you want soemthign large then try a Glen's CAP 232.

Their 30% does all the 3d, is a superb IMAC model, and has loaaaads of power on the Zenoah 62 it's designed for. The rudder and hor. stab is easily removable, and the wing is in two parts.

see www.glensmodels.com
Old 08-17-2002, 06:55 PM
Shortman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's going to be my IMAC plane set-up...

H9 Edge 540

General Info:
Wingspan: 78
Weight: 11-13 lbs
# Servos required: 5 servos

Motor Used:
Name: OS 1.60FX
Muffler: Jett In-Cowl Muffler
Prop: Mejzlik 18 x 6
Fuel:
Spinner: 3 Tru-Turn Spinner

Plane:
Hanger 9 Edge 540

Servos:
2 x Hitec 5945 digital
2 x Hitec 5625 digital
1 x Hitec hs-81

Radio:
Futaba T6XAS

Batteries:
Li-ion Cells 3.6V/mah

Linkages:
Cleviss: MKD Control Horn Clevis w/Ball Bearing
Pushrods: Central Hobbies Carbon Fiber Rods
Servo Arms: H9 metal
Bell Crank: MKD Dual Elevator Bell Crank-Ball Bearing

Other Accessories:
Northern Model Products Ball Bearing Aluminum Tail wheels
Machined 1/2 Servo Arm: Futaba
Hanger 9 Pro-Lite Wheels
Hanger 9 Fuel Filler
True Turn adapter for specific engine
Fuel Tubing
Foam for cushioning radio and fuel tanks
Antenna tube
12 Aileron Extension

Optional Items:
Pilot Figure
Instrument Panel
Old 08-17-2002, 09:13 PM
imacflyr3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Rule book

You can find .pdf files of the rulebook at the following address:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/templates/ama/compreg.asp

The section you are looking for is the RC Aerobatics section. Download this section and go past the RC pattern rules. The rules regarding legal aircraft are 3.1 and 5.3 + 4 of the Scale Aerobatics section. Basically, these get rid of the 10% rule and say the plane just has to be recognizable as a plane that is a replica of a plane capable of flying the sequence within the box. It's very open to interpretation!

If you have to have the 2 piece wing, the Great Planes Extra ARF has that. I think what you are going to find, however, that not only is a one piece wing going to be heck to get in your corolla, but the fuse will be as well.

Good luck with your flying.
Don't forget to have fun!!

Gary Hunt
Rantoul, Il

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service