Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Houston IMAC flyers

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Bobby Folsom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Houston IMAC flyers

That's great Steve!! I was hoping you would be watching this list. I can't make it today but I might be able to sometime within the next few weeks.

IMAC is starting to build in LA. There is Jonus Pharr up in Shreveport, Ryan and Phil down in New Iberia and now you in Zachary. I'll check with Jonus and see if they want to do another contest. Maybe Ryan and Phil could do one as well.

I'll keep in touch.

Bobby
Old 12-03-2005, 08:30 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't miss anything; it was a freakin' hurricane. Got one flight in, but it was more of a "hold on and land during a lull" deal.

Still trying to sort this @*&$! pump out. I'll get the mid-range good, and its too lean on the low end. A good idle makes for a sloppy mid-range. I've tried varying pump pressure as well as prodigious needle tweaking. I installed a "return loop" tonight as a last resort.

In almost twenty years of fooling with model engines, I've never had this much grief. I'm sure its just a matter of finding the sweet spot, but I'm running out of patience...[] Probably should have gotten a Cline reg instead of the VP30.

BTW, there are two of us here. He has a 28% Extra, and I have a 27% Extra...although, if this 1.60 doesn't do right, I may just fly my grandson's Kougar.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Bobby Folsom

I hear you. The wind up here was gusting to 25-35 this afternoon. There is no way I ever thought about going to the field!!

From what I've heard the Cline regulator is the way to go. I believe that they were picked up by a company called "Iron Mountain" or something very close to that. When I was flying glo-fueled 2-strokes, I could never get a VP30 to ever work - just like what you are finding out. That's one reason I went to a 4-stroker and every with only muffler pressure they ran better. Of course for pattern, you're talking a YS at about $550.00. This makes a gas engine look like pretty good. What plane is your 27%'er?

Bobby
Old 12-03-2005, 10:58 PM
LSP972

Hangar 9. Its an okay plane; build/fit was so-so, but it seems to fly nice. Don't really know yet; with this engine at less that 100% reliable, I don't do much with it yet...[&o]

I went with the pump because I bought into the "fuel tank on CG is better for IMAC" school of thought, and the fact that lots of folks on RCU report good luck with it. My flying buddy had one and an OS 1.60 for a short time in a Lanier Edge; it worked fine. I'm sure I just haven't found the right combination of needle settings and pump pressure yet; but I'm getting tired of messing with it, I'll tell you that. It ran like a champ on the bench for 3/4 of a gallon during break-in; so I know the engine is fine.

If it doesn't "do right" tomorrow, then I'm done with it for now. I have a ShowTime enroute, with an OS 1.08 ready to go in that model. Ordered that puppy on a whim. I also have a WH 73" Edge in the corner; I'll probably assemble it and install the 1.60 sans pump, with the tank up front. I would have to do a complete re-route of the throttle linkage/servo location on the Extra to put the tank inside the engine box for "normal" fuel feed; I'd just as soon spend that time on another airplane. The paint on the Extra's cowling is already flaking off at the edges, and the c/f gear cracked (NOT delaminated, as most other folks who have had trouble with this gear experienced; I'm talking a big CRACK) on the fifth landing. I fixed that with a C clamp and some CA, but despite careful efforts to prevent it, the CA ran and it looks like hell. Horizon is sending a replacement, but I ordered a TNT aluminum gear anyway. If you are getting the drift that I'm not ecstatic about this plane right now, you're right...

I just don't have the patience I used to have, I guess. Which is why I won't ever have another YS four stroke. Nothing can beat them when they're running right; but when we meet, I'll tell you about the bizarre experience I had with a 91 FZ. Tobe, my flying buddy whom you'll meet too, had an identical problem with his 91 FZ. I remember now... THAT engine gave me the most grief (after a year of great satisfaction), although this 1.60 is catching up quickly. Its bound to be the pump and my inexperience with same, but it is still greatly annoying.

If I cannot get this pump thing sorted out right away, I think I'll just mothball the Extra until I get around to trying a gasser. I'm rather impressed with the Taurus engines; this Extra airframe should handle the 52 (for a little while, at least). But with any luck, I'll get the pump/engine to settle in so I can try my hand at this IMAC stuff; which is DAMNED difficult. The Basic manuevers are easy. Tying them together properly in a sequence is a cast-iron... well, you know.

I'm looking forward to the challenge. But I need a reliable airplane first.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Bobby Folsom

Steve, if your engine adjusts okay on the groung then leans out about 4-5 minutes into the flight, it may be getting hot. I would first try putting some baffles in and a piece of trianglusar wood in FRONT OF the bottom air-exit hole. That creates a low pressure area that sucks the hot air out. Try it first and see if that helps.

I learned to fly the IMAC basic pattern by stringing 2 or 3 of the maneuvors together and then moving on down through them until I did all 10. You will then find it much easier to do all 10. The hardest thing to learn to do in IMAC-style of flying to learn how to fly a STRAIGHT LINE. I have been in the Sportsman class for going on four years now and I still practice that!! The second thing is to get used to seeing the inside wing looking like it's too high (makes you think you are turning away from you).

You have to get your plane trimmed out so that when you apply rudder the only thing the plane does is to do PURE YAW. You will probably have to mix out aileron-rudder roll and aileron-elevator pitch coupling but with a computer radio that should be easy enough to do.

I hope you have better luck flying today than you did yesterday.

Bobby
Old 12-04-2005, 08:43 PM
LSP972

The engine isn't overheating. The pump was simply not providing the right amount of fuel at the right time, in regards to throttle setting.

Today was better. The T-loop mod did not work; apparently, one must have a check valve in there somewhere, and I was fresh out.

So I started over, and got a decent mix this time. I believe I had the pump pressure too low. The low-end is still a tad too lean, and I had to stop tweaking due to rain. But I got three good flights in, really working the throttle, with no major hiccups. It was again too windy to do any trimming, anyway. I'm aware of the trim procedures; we've already done Tobe's plane.

Our crosswind runway is too short for these big planes, so I was landing in a 20 knot quartering crosswind. Man... this plane really locks in on approach with a bit of speed. I believe it will be a superb IMAC flyer. Mine has a half-degree of wash-in at the left wing tip. The only way to fix that is to strip the covering and move wood, which is more effort than I'm willing to expend just yet. So I'll live with it for now.

As for mixing, I have a 9Z, so that won't be a problem. I hear you regarding stringing two or three manuevers together; we were discussing this today, and are seriously considering getting sims just to program the stick movements into the old cranial hard drive...
Old 12-04-2005, 10:04 PM
bdawg50

I will post more later about the March event. But I can tell you that it is sanctioned and set for March 11/12. It is hosted by the Prop-Nuts RC Club of Crosby Texas. We are on the NE side of Houston. We have a spacious 7 acres on a 100 acre grass farm with no noise issues. Most Houston area flyers are familiar with our club. You can go to www.prop-nuts.com to find out more.
We hope all you guys that have been whining for the last 4 years about no IMAC in Houston will come and participate.
I have been on the Imac circuit for 4 years and have been trying to arrange this for over a year. I am pretty sure I have the support of our core Imac group and all that attend will be impressed on how we run an event.

Allan Smith
CD/P-Nuts V.P.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:01 AM
LSP972

Cannot get that link to work, Allan.

Tobe and I are planning on being at the Crosby meet. The big bonus is that you're on THIS side of Houston...

I would rather drive in pre-Katrina New Orleans traffic than Houston traffic... and pre-Katrina New Orleans traffic was horrible.

I assume you'll be posting hotel info?
Old 12-05-2005, 01:16 PM
mwick

http://www.propnuts.com/

Mike Wickizer
Old 12-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Bobby Folsom

Hey Allen: check with Dan Powell on how to download the scoring program he used at the Sherman contest - it is much easier to use that than the Excel-based program. I didn't find out about it in time to use at the Shreveport contest. Also, are you going to give out the unknowns on Sunday morning??? Ha, just asking - I would NEVER do that (marph, marph)!!!!

Bobby
Old 12-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Bobby Folsom

Allen, you've been to our Vicksburg IMAC contest several times. What is the best route for me to take to get to your field, and, have you made any IMAC deals with local hotels?

Bobby
Old 12-05-2005, 06:03 PM
bdawg50

I guess that's a little embarrassing having someone else correct you on your own clubs website link. When you do so much bookmarking and favorites stuff you sometimes loose track of what the real address is. That's my story and I'm sticking too it! There are Hotels listed at the proper website that Mike listed and I will post those and more later. They are all at the I-10 and Garth Rd. exit area. No deals of any kind yet.
Bobby, the person I have to do the scoring has been working with the excel version. We haven't had any big issues with it so far. I couldn't find the one Dan was using anyway. If someone will link me to it We will look at it. If all would just score 10's, it would be much easier. We could then just throw all the trophies in the middle of the field and have a big "SMACKDOWN". I will send you and Jonas your unknowns now as a token of my apologies for "venting" at you guys. When I came to Vicksburg, I went 59 to Shreveport then 20 over to your place. I'm not familiar with dem dere other back roads of Louisiana.

Allan
Old 12-05-2005, 06:47 PM
bdawg50

I guess that's a little embarrassing having someone else correct you on your own clubs website link. When you do so much bookmarking and favorites stuff you sometimes loose track of what the real address is. That's my story and I'm sticking too it! There are Hotels listed at the proper website that Mike listed and I will post those and more later. They are all at the I-10 and Garth Rd. exit area. No deals of any kind yet.
Bobby, the person I have to do the scoring has been working with the excel version. We haven't had any big issues with it so far. I couldn't find the one Dan was using anyway. If someone will link me to it We will look at it. If all would just score 10's, it would be much easier. We could then just throw all the trophies in the middle of the field and have a big "SMACKDOWN". I will send you and Jonas your unknowns now as a token of my apologies for "venting" at you guys. When I came to Vicksburg, I went 59 to Shreveport then 20 over to your place. I'm not familiar with dem dere other back roads of Louisiana.

Allan
Old 12-05-2005, 09:42 PM
LSP972

Bobby, I believe its a bit less distance coming down US 61 to I-10, then across to Beaumont and US 90 into Crosby. My oldest daughter used to live out by George Bush airport, and I'd go that route when visiting her (take US 90 out of Beaumont into North Houston). The problem is the Natchez Trace between Vicksburg and Natchez. US 61 between Natchez and Baton Rouge is mostly four-lane now and a rather pleasant drive. Dunno about US 59, but it might be a better trip that way.

It would certainly bypass Whiskey Bay, between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. And one always takes a chance when getting on that stretch...
Old 12-20-2005, 06:33 PM
4u2nv-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If I get to see my buddy Wayne then all the work will be worthwhile!!! Trophies are ordered and I am making plans to get some education as to scoring. Should be a hoot and our field is so well suited to this type flying I am looking forward to a great time!!!

Get ready guys !!! Its gonna be good!!!!

4u2nv
Old 12-20-2005, 10:10 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: 4u2nv-RCU

I am making plans to get some education as to scoring.

4u2nv

Its easy,
People from Illinois get 10's
Old 12-20-2005, 10:25 PM
wgeffon

Without having to read the whole thread again... What are the dates for the Jetero IMAC?

April something 06?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:35 AM
bwick

29-30, you lazy @$$
Old 12-22-2005, 11:34 AM
YNOT

Come on down Wayne. We'll show how we do it Texas STYLE!
Old 12-22-2005, 01:38 PM
wgeffon

Tony,

You going to fly in the Jetero Contest?
What plane do you fly for IMAC?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Bobby Folsom

Allen, have you talked with Dan R. about putting your information and site link on the IMAC national website for the SC region? I checked the site a few minutes ago and didn't see any mention of it or anything else for that matter.

Bobby
Old 12-22-2005, 08:38 PM
YNOT

I donno Wayne. My Vision isn't "legal" however I should be able to score something else to fly. I'm on the list for the new CHP Yak, if it shows in time........yea RIGHT!, I will fly it.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:23 PM
wgeffon

What class do you fly Tony?
Old 12-22-2005, 11:58 PM
bdawg50

Bobby,
I haven't done that yet but regardless every is set to go. I was waiting on Dan but I guess he's busy so after Christmas I'll get with him to get that done.
Have a very merry Christmas.

Allan
Old 12-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Bobby Folsom

You can fly any airplane in the Basic class but you do need a scale plane with pilot and dashboard for the other classes. You may want to stay in basic for the first contest if you have never competed before. Have you competed in AMA pattern events before?

Bobby