IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

2005 sportman sequence

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2005 sportman sequence

ORIGINAL: psk560

I did not intend to cause any problems in IMAC or start a thread on judging. I am going to delete these videos from my page and would ask that you do so from your computers as well and please don't post them on your sites. This thread has brought up an idea for a different kind of video though. I might just make a video with a plane flying the same manuever a few times. Than start a thread and ask everyone to judge the manuevers. The spin would be a great one and I'll not include the picture in picture of the controls and I'll film from farther back to give a better angle for judging. Should be a good thread. LOL.

No hard feelings, just don't want people to misunderstand my intention or cause a huge thread to start. My intention was to answer relax1's request.

Craig
This is completely unnecessary and I am sorry if I had anything to do with it. Again, my comments were motivated out of the concern that not everyone would have gotten the original intent of the video. This type of thing is great and it is an important tool.

I really do encourage you NOT to remove them.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:45 AM
psk560
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks JMurdoch, I am going to change the videos some and I'll repost them later this evening. Going to edit some.

Craig,
Old 01-21-2005, 11:53 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Craig.. The issue here is Aresti2004 really does know what he's talking about. And yes, he pointed out some errors, errors that would have been caught by a qualified judge. However, the thing here is, if you know what the questionable maneuvers were, you probably wouldn't be looking at a home made video for guidance in the first place. So, in a nut shell, keep up the good work. For many, it's the best tool available for this years sequences.

And (this is the edited part) for some, it takes huge balls to give IMAC a try. I'm sure there's lots of people who would give it a shot had they knew what they were trying to achieve. I think, given the videos you've produced, it had at least given a couple people the "I think I can do that" mindset.

Edited again: Supposed to be 70 here in Vegas today. I'm outta here to burn some fuel...
Old 01-21-2005, 05:10 PM
aerosmythe
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: aresti2004

Some comments.

First, Half-Cuban 8's have 5/8ths loops, NOT 3/4 loops. Both videos call that incorrectly.

Both videos show errors on the half loop combinations with roll elements. Both Immelman turns start the 1/2 roll before level flight is achieved. I'd downgrade each by at least 1 to 1.5 points for the error. In the Sportsman video the Immelman with the full roll entry would also get dinged an extra 2 points for the visible line between the full roll and the half inside loop.

Both spins are zeroes. Neither one achieved a stall and there was no autorotation.

The Sportsman snap is also a zero. No autorotation. Nose was picked up and then the plane was aileroned through with some rudder for yaw.

The Basic Hammerhead has significant torquing at the top. The plane does not stay in the same plane as it were. Both Basic and Sportsman would get dinged for rotation more than 1/2 wingspan out.

Most of the 45 lines also appeared shallow. This may be an artifact of the camera work as well.

I am not trying to ream you guys personally, but if these are being put out as examples of what the sequences look like as a training tool, then people should be aware of the errors. There are other less significant errors as well (over/under rotation of point rolls, internal roll element centering errors, etc.), but these are the big ones.

I plan to bring this with me to the Advanced Judge's class in Chandler, AZ this weekend. They are excellent judge training videos.

Well the pilot must stand up and confess who done it.

I agree with with about 80% of what Areti said in the comments above with the exceptions of the 0's. The plane stopped flying and the CG dropped- IE Stall- ( the problem is the vidio gives you no visual reffernce to judge against) Don't understand the no autorotation after part.
The Snap was a little bit the way you desribed it however IT Broke and displaced upward as per a positive snap I'd have given it a 6. The other side of the coin is that during a judged sequence there would be two judges behind you and both would have to agree on O's

Your comments on the sequence are welcomed as a pilot and we all need to adopt a way of accepting this type of critiszm, as you new guys will soon see that thats what you need to do to become better IMAC pilots. There will always be times that you feel you were not graded properly you will just have to find a way to overcome and accept it. By the end of the contest the best man almost always wins

Thanks Bill Malvey, I look forword to meeting you as a Judge in Florida, David B. Smith
Old 01-21-2005, 06:24 PM
mprediger
My Feedback: (11)

From a very beginners standpoint -

A stick/model video of the sequence along with a narrative of all control inputs needed (including throttle management) would be extremely beneficial. I think pilots of full scale aircraft use this method for tactical maneuvers.

Thanks,

mike
New Patterniac
Old 01-21-2005, 06:52 PM
aerosmythe

we have one in the works
Old 01-21-2005, 07:34 PM
PaulBK

dave, first thanks for hanging your /// out there for us to take a look..

the problem with the spin is that there is no autorotation of the fuselage. in a fully developed spin (which it should be after the first turn) the inside wing is actually moving backwards. if that is not visually present, it is a mechanical zero.

the snap is a more difficult one, and the source of much debate - which is why i watched it over and over. i would give it a .5, that way i don't have to concern myself with what the other judge does - but I would score it a zero. why a zero...the nose comes up, but it is not part of the snap. it is a visible input as is common with pilots who pop the nose prior to the first point of a roll - something like a boxer telegraphing his punch. the pitch departure for a snap is part of the maneuver, it is violent, and is immediately followed by the roll caused by the stalled wing. the airplane may (has to) change pitch angle, but not track...that means any increase or decrease in altitude is downgraded. I didn't see a pitch departure, what i saw was a gradual change in the track, followed by a roll accelerated with rudder. it's not a snap - not by the language of the rules.

i would be interested in the specific downgrades you use to give it a 6.

again, this is supposed to be instructional, if you guys want to hear it from the clowns like me that have to duke it out with the unlimited guys, i'll tell you it isn't fun and games. it's competition, not only among pilots, but at times between the pilots and judges.

P
Old 01-21-2005, 07:56 PM
relax1
My Feedback: (32)

I'm new to Imac and this is a great help. Thanks Craig , Dave and Bill for the video and coments. Luis
Old 01-21-2005, 10:04 PM
aerosmythe

ORIGINAL: PaulBK

dave, first thanks for hanging your /// out there for us to take a look..

the problem with the spin is that there is no autorotation of the fuselage. in a fully developed spin (which it should be after the first turn) the inside wing is actually moving backwards. if that is not visually present, it is a mechanical zero.

the snap is a more difficult one, and the source of much debate - which is why i watched it over and over. i would give it a .5, that way i don't have to concern myself with what the other judge does - but I would score it a zero. why a zero...the nose comes up, but it is not part of the snap. it is a visible input as is common with pilots who pop the nose prior to the first point of a roll - something like a boxer telegraphing his punch. the pitch departure for a snap is part of the maneuver, it is violent, and is immediately followed by the roll caused by the stalled wing. the airplane may (has to) change pitch angle, but not track...that means any increase or decrease in altitude is downgraded. I didn't see a pitch departure, what i saw was a gradual change in the track, followed by a roll accelerated with rudder. it's not a snap - not by the language of the rules.

i would be interested in the specific downgrades you use to give it a 6.

again, this is supposed to be instructional, if you guys want to hear it from the clowns like me that have to duke it out with the unlimited guys, i'll tell you it isn't fun and games. it's competition, not only among pilots, but at times between the pilots and judges.

P

Mr. P, thanks for the coments, on further review of the instant replay, I see what your taking about concerning the spin- I did not continue to increase angle of attack long enough proir to the spin to get a more voilent drop once it stalled that would have produced the immediate aoutorotaion you speak of . Is that what your saying if I read you right?

Next to the Spin the Snap is the next most controversial manuver. Your visual discription of my snap - if I read you right - it is in its simplest form- that it was all not executed simultaniously?? I must disagree with you on the 0 though- it broke -it autorotated -it displaced- posvitive indication that it snaped - not pretty. it was goooooooooy I agree.

We'll be at it again some time soon shooting some more spins an snaps. We can have some more debates. As the website man says "This material is not for training puposes and is in no way affiated with IMAC. It is provived for entertainment only. "

David, and by the way, what is your name sir.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: aerosmythe

I agree with with about 80% of what Areti said in the comments above with the exceptions of the 0's.
I agree that the video makes it difficult to judge.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:49 AM
PaulBK

dave, my name is paul kopp...the b is my middle initial.

the autororation is initiated by the application of rudder at the stall break. the "violence" of the break is not a judged critieria, just that it is visible, which to be very honest, most of the time it is not. but 99% of judges hesistate to zero an entry because it happens so fast and some pretty good pilots know how to cheat their way through an entry. I will only zero an entry if the error is obvious - like a snapped entry, or the plane going vertical before the stall. many pilots lead with a little rudder to ensure that the break starts in a specific direction, and doing so sometime blur the break enough that you can't in good conscience zero it - and the entry is an all or nothing score, as is the presence or absence of an autorotation. the autororation should begin as soon as the nose falls through the horizon.

toy airplane snaps are the subject of much debate well beyond the internet......

P
Old 01-26-2005, 11:07 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

Thanks for the video it is great! I will be watching for more.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Stallion_51
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the video. Luis, practicing for the Bay City IMAC? I'm gonna try Sportsman this time.

This video is nice to get an idea of the sequence itself. I don't think Luis or anyone else is going to take a monitor out to the pilot station to mimic exactly what Craig or his buddy did in the video.

Thanks again guys!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:06 AM
flynm
My Feedback: (24)

Hey, where is the video on the flying cirkus site? I only see the section on 3d flying.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:07 AM
chucks9999

Frist off, Craig, thanks for your work!
I downloaded the sportsman vid but a can't download the basic vid. I get a error "cannot find the source file".

Chuck
Old 02-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Silent-AV8R

You can also get both videos here:

http://www.scaleaerobatics.org/judge.html
Old 02-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Razguel

I think the vids are a great help. Were there errors made sure but i will make some of my own errors also. The vids give me concept of each manuever and how the sequence goes together. Which is what I think the intention of the vid was. I can get the details of the manuever from qualified people at the field as I pracitice.

BTW: I did not find the walkthrough posted at AMA helpful.
Why did they not have the diagrams for the sequence for 2005 like in 2004?
Are these available somewhere?
What is with the 180 procedure turn? DO i just make a level smooth turn about ?

Thanks again for posting the vid it is much appreciated.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:15 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Razguel
BTW: I did not find the walkthrough posted at AMA helpful.
Why did they not have the diagrams for the sequence for 2005 like in 2004?
Are these available somewhere?
What is with the 180 procedure turn? DO i just make a level smooth turn about ?
The items you are referring to are on the IMAC site, not the AMA site.

The walkthrough is designed to give examples of how to place the sequence figures and not how to actually fly them.

As far as diagrams go, I assume you are referring to the Aresti diagrams. They are also on the IMAC site directly above where the walkthroughs are found.

The turn is NOT a procedure turn. It is a 180 degree aerobatic turn. You must establish a bank angle greater than 60 degrees and up to 90 degrees, then complete 180 degrees of turn without varying the bank angle, rate of turn, or altitude. You can find the actual downgrades in the flying and judging guide. Also available at the IMAC site or here:

http://www.scaleaerobatics.org/judge.html

Click on the links for the flying and judging guide.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Razguel

thanks for the info, can't wait to practice.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:59 AM
santi

aresti2004

On the sportsman sequence. manuver #2, Immelman, it starts off with a full roll then a half roll at the end to exit upright. When doing a full roll how fast/slow the roll be performed. On the sportsman video there roll rate was pretty quick. But, when they were doing one full rolls on the up lines in manuver #4, stall turn,it was slower. I want to be able to perform them the way the judges wants to see them.

Thanks,
Santi
Old 02-18-2005, 02:21 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: santi

aresti2004

On the sportsman sequence. manuver #2, Immelman
Technically, this is not an Immelman. An Immelman is a simple half inside loop with a half roll on the exit line. This is one reason I don't like using these terms. Just say what it is. Full Roll, Half Inside Loop, 1/2 roll on exit.

When doing a full roll how fast/slow the roll be performed.
There is absolutely NO criteria associated with the roll rate. If you ever have a judge tell you so, then I would complain to the CD. Roll rate is irrelevant.

What judge's "want" to see is only defensible by what is in the rules. A judge should be able to point to the rules and defend each and every downgrade they have applied. If they cannot, then they have no business sitting in the judge's chair.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:37 PM
santi

Thanks, You going to bakersfield on March 19? Looks like there is going to be a bunch of sportsmans there. This will be intresting.

Santi
Old 02-18-2005, 11:19 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: santi

Thanks, You going to bakersfield on March 19? Looks like there is going to be a bunch of sportsmans there. This will be intresting.

Santi
God Willin' an' if the crick don't rise.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Hawk21
My Feedback: (7)

Can some one tell me if the 1/4 roll down should be exactly at the same
point were the full roll up was done in the stall turn???
Old 03-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Hawk21

Can some one tell me if the 1/4 roll down should be exactly at the same
point were the full roll up was done in the stall turn???
Absolutely not required, or maybe even possible to do. Each line is a separate element and any associated roll elements are to be centered on that line portion irrespective of what happens on other lines. So center the full roll up on that line and then center the 1/4 roll on the downline. The upline and downline are NOT required to be the same length since you are allowed to have different entry and exit altitudes on a hammerhead.

Please go to the IMAC site and download the judging summary card, it really will make a lot of this much more clear.