IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

My new BME Ultimate!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 06:19 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: My new BME Ultimate!

I have been trying to think of an easier faster way to put the wings together. Im thinking of installing 4-40 blind nuts on each of the cabane holes with a washer CA'ed on the opposite side. that way I can eliminate the locknuts everywhere except for on the center cabane. That way I wouldnt have to keep track of 10 locknuts everytime I assemble and disassemble.

Anyone else come up with some better ideas?

Mike
Old 05-01-2005, 05:32 PM
pequeajim
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We put some pics up on the web site of the photo shoot. Thought you might want to look at em'

http://www.buckrc.com/html/bme_flyrc_shoot.html

BigNed: Right now, the way I am doing it is to pull the four screws out on each outside of the wing that hold the struts in place, (8 total), and I leave the brackets connected to the cabane alone. Then I just loosely wrap the wire around the cabane and masking tape it to the inside of the radio compartment. Then I am only messing with eight screws total each time I setup.

I did not use the stock clevises. I used a robart 4/40 clevis

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXET50&P=7]Robart Clevis[/link]

I had to make my own rob ends as the ends that are shipped use a fine thread and the Robart uses a more coarse thread. I just picked up some 4/40 push rods and drilled them for the wire with a 1/32!QUOT! bit.

Everything works great and breaks down/sets up fast.

Jim!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:54 PM
pequeajim

I flew the airplane today a little more. I really does track well in some of the IMAC maneuvers that I was trying. Harriers really well too! You were right Chris!

You do have to use some eleveator during knife edge flight tho... The rudder is VERY powerful!
Old 05-28-2005, 06:06 AM
MikeEast

I did find a better way to mount the cabanes. I installed 4-40 blind nuts on the outside of each of the cabane strut mounting holes (8). Now all I have to do is take out the 8 screws and Im set. I leave the flying wires attached to the wings since I take the whole wing off in 1 piece anyway and I have to take the wire bracket off of the cabane to do it. Using blind nuts cut my assembly time in half.

BTW, I hovered too long the other day and overheated my engine. I throttled up but had no power and ended up landing INVERTED!! Fortunately the grass was thick and about 2' deep and I was able to land in an inverted elevator from about 5' high. It was a very soft landing and the damage was minor. When the prop bit into the grass it torqued the wing and buckled the balsa sheeting at the tip on one end of the top wing. It also cracked the balsa sheeting at the tube end on the lower wing. I was able to strip the wing, make the repair and re cover in 2 days. I have about 15 flights on it since the mishap and it flies like new!
Old 05-28-2005, 07:01 AM
pequeajim

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but glad you're back up in the air again!

The way I have the airplane setup right now, it takes me about 15 minutes to put it together and check it out, then another 5 to adjust the tension of the wires.

I leave the wires connected to the cabane and just drop the ends in the radio compartment when I'm done for the day.

I had a brain cramp yesterday. I put the wings on and installed the hold down screw in the bottom wing tube, but forgot the top!

So, the only thing holding the top wing halves together were the flying wires!

I never knew it until I took the airplane apart!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:20 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

What does this plane weigh ready to fly?

I have a ZDZ 80 with a KS pipe system I would love to try in one of these if it could be done at about 24lbs.

Any thoughts?

Jeff
Old 06-01-2005, 10:30 PM
pequeajim

Mine came in at 26.3 lbs and flies very light.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:37 PM
pequeajim

We were flying the Ultimate again today and when turning over the middle of the field setting up for a higher speed knife edge, the elevators started fluttering like crazy!

Chris was flying the airplane and reduced speed and the fluttering stopped, (luckly)

I am not sure what all contributed to it. Probably the higher speed was the major factor, so be carefule when doing high speed knife edges.The linkage was tight, but the Hitec 5985 was sloppy? I will be ripping it out and looking at it too.

Jim!
Old 06-06-2005, 04:45 PM
MikeEast

I had the same thing happen on mine during a counterclockwise,,, canopy facing me,, knife edge loop, except I stripped the right servo. Fortunately it was stripped bad enough that it just weather veined and i was able to fly in on 1 elevator half. Im using Futaba 9151 servos (128oz) and I thought my servo was too weak.
I got into the power too early on the downline side and I knew I was in a bad spot, sure enough I saw MEGA flutter and immediately got off the power made a 180 right turn and landed. I have since been very careful about high G maneuvers at relatively high speed.

I am saving up to replace with Hitec 5995MG servos. I GUARANTEE you I wont strip those babies.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:18 PM
pequeajim

I was suprised that the 5985s would do that. They are supposed to have 170 oz of torque each? I'll have a talk with Hitec. They really were not out that long and are no longer on their web site?

Jim!
Old 06-24-2005, 03:52 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi guys, any more updates on the ultimate?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 PM
MikeEast

John its just an awesome airplane. If there is anything mine does not do real well it is snap. It does snap ok and it looks nice for 3D but I dont think a descerning IMAC judge is going to buy it. Its hard to really show enough break to make it look convincing, to me it looks closer to a tight fast barrel roll than a snap.

As far as 3D its a dream. Does everything very well, inverted and upright. Knife Edge, Hovering, Harriers, spins and all that are really great. I am able to make this plane look a LOT more graceful at 3D than I can a monoplane. I cant think of one thing other than what I mentioned that it does that I dont like.

The biggest compliments I personally get from lookie loos is for the glass smooth axial rolling harrier manuevers, rock steady no wing rock harriers and the extremely stable low altitude high alpha knife edge. And hovering isnt new anymore but this plane hovers ridiculously easily.

Id give it a 9 on a scale of 1-10. [8D]
Old 06-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

Ned,
so, other than snaps, is it precise enough for IMAC? say, basic thru intermediate at least?
Old 06-25-2005, 06:18 PM
pequeajim

I don't have the issues with snaps on mine. Max at BME told me that one of the issues with the top wing incidence made for a good snapping, or moderate snapping airplane. Mine is dead on -1.5 degrees and the airplane snaps very well.

My review for FLY RC will be out on this airplane in this next issue and I had XFC Pilot Chris Maier fly it and do the flight review. Check out his opinion on it. While I won’t give away everything that he said about it, I will say that he thinks that this airplane properly setup could compete successfully at every level of IMAC. Chris is a great and knowledgeable pilot (just placed 5th or 6th at this last XFC, I can’t remember which).

The only issue that I have had was some slight elevator flutter going in to a high speed knife edge. I don’t think my elevator servos were robust enough for this application which is not the airplane’s fault.

I really like the airplane. I wish I could keep it, but I have too little space in my hanger. I would easily recommend it to anyone who wants a great IMAC/3D combo airplane.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:41 PM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

Hello,
I will put my "Two Cents " in on this plane..... My friend Chris Maier (by the way, Fifth in the Futaba Extreme Flight Championships ) and myself went to Buck R/C club so that Chris could "put the plane through the wringer" for the Fly RC review, and he snapped the plane just fine. Pequeajim did a fantastic job building this plane, and Chris did a fantastic job flying it. It is a very nice plane, and if it is set up properly, it is a very stable plane, and will compete in IMAC just fine...
Check your wing incedence, and see if it comes out at -1.5 ( on top ) as Jim said, and that may be why your plane doesnt snap as well as you would like.....
Hope that helps......
Blair
Old 06-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

cool, cant wait for the review.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:41 AM
MikeEast

Yep, its there. Mine is the original protoype BME Ultimate. The only thing I can figure is maybe the elevator servos arent stiff enough. Todd and Keith built it with Futaba 9151 servos on the elevators and I think Im getting some pushback which is effecting the snaps. Reason I think so it because its also a little tentative on a wall maneuver. I think a pair of 5945MG or 8411's on the elevators will solve the problem. [8D] Todd flew and won with this plane in unlimited IMAC but,,, I think he could beat most guys with a funtana in unlimited.

Like I said, there really isnt anything bad about the plane, it does everything very well.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:53 AM
JohnVH

Ill surely be putting 8611's on the tail, not sure on the ailerons, maybe 4735's...
Old 06-26-2005, 06:33 PM
MikeEast

You are gonna love the roll rate, its lightning.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:59 PM
JohnVH

[8D]
Old 06-30-2005, 07:50 PM
pequeajim

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Hi guys, any more updates on the ultimate?
The review is out in FLY RC.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:13 PM
pequeajim

Due to other projects on my list, I am putting my BME Ultimate up for sale.

Check it out here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=124141
Old 08-31-2005, 08:37 PM
pequeajim

I changed the ad to reflect just the airframe sale.