IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

GP Extra 300S 74" WS

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 11:08 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GP Extra 300S 74" WS

I need advice on setting up the high/low rates elevator/airleron control throws. Showed they be increased from what the instruction manual reccomends?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:59 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GP Extra 300S 74" WS

I have one, set it up with the recommended throw and nearly crashed it on landing, because of the lack of elevator throw. I ended up with low's set where the highs were recommended and the highs almost doubled what they recommended for elevators. The rest was okay. I recommend starting with the Rudder and Ailerons where the instructions call for, but set the elevator low rates about 1/2 to 9/16's and highs at about 3/4 to 7/8's. I used 25% expo on low and 35% on high, then readjusted for feel as I flew it and got more comfortable with it.

I had two friends fly it that are unlimited IMAC (sponsored) pilots. Both said it was the best flying quarter scale extra they ever flew. I am running Futaba Digital servos on elevator and ailerons and a HiTech 5645 on the Rudder. I can get through the IMAC basic pattern without a sweat, and am starting to trim and practice Sportsman. The Imac guys say it's needs almost no mixing.

I am running an OS 1.6 FX with a Bisson Muffler with one exhaust blocked off with JB weld. Using Power Master 5%, it has unlimited vertical. I don't have it set up for 3D, but with the power and wing loading (28 oz.) it should 3D well. This is my primary plane for practicing and learning IMAC sequences. It flies so well, I am selling my Ultimate and my Giles to get a Wild Hare 330. I have a 33% H9 Extra, with a Fuji 86 on it, but I honestly like the GP Gene Soucy Extra Better. A ST 2300 would also work well in this plane, as would a Saito 1.50 or 1.80.

Let me know if you have any questions. RCU has a great build review of the airplane. It sold me on purchasing this plane and I used their revisions and it came out perfect the first time.

Happy Landings.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:37 PM
flycatch

Where did you balance the plane. I balanced mine at 5 1/2" from the leading edge. At this setting the aircraft flew nose heavy. I added four clicks of up-elevator at WOT. No airleron or rudder trim required. Yes, the aircraft has flown and I did up the low rate elevator to 1/2" up/down. The wind speed was 15 mph and very turbulent near the ground. Even under these conditions the Extra flew in an exceptional manner. I plan to fly it after work today and I'll find out more.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:28 AM
mikeboyd

I put a 1100 NiCad in the tail, just forward of the hatch. My CG came in at about 5 5/8's or 5 9/16's and it flies so pure it's scary. Very little "pressure" on the elevator inverted, so must be just a little toward the tail heavy side, but still does great stall turns and downlines. I will start working on a throttle curve next, since the FX really has a little too much power. Mine weighs about 12.25 pound dry, so am less than 28 oz. wing loading, which ain't bad for a plane this size. Like I said, it flies so well I am selling three other, good airplanes, to make some room in my overcrowded garage.

I am still fooling with rates, expo and trim. Only have about 8 flights on it so far, the weather has been terrible here, but of course, just on the weekends, so it gets frustrating. I need a really good calm day to do the knife edge passes and set a little trim in the elevators. Can't really do that on windy days, because you are too busy fighting turbulence to really tell how much trim is needed. The way it flies, it won't be much.

Did you review the article here on RCU? I really appreciate when someone else has pioneered a project and shares it with you. Really don't know why GP's wants to make such a complicated and heavy tail gear assembly. I used the Sullivan, but may take it off and put on a big bird style, that looks more scale. The Sullivans are okay, but not very attractive. The single spring on them doesn't hold up very well on the long term, but are cheap enough and easy enough to replace.

Let me know how your trim flying goes and the % of mixes you end up with, then we can compare notes. Feel free to email me direct at [email protected]

Happy Landings.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:44 AM
flycatch

Mike, thanks for the input. You said you placed your battery pack in the tail and your balance came out a little aft of the reccomended starting point. If I did that with my plane it would become a "knuckle dragger". I balanced mine at 5 1/2" per manual instruction and it fly nose heavy. I did the math on the MAC and at 5 1/2" it balances at 30%. This is throwing me off. It should not fly nose heavy at 30%. I need a drag chute to slow the plane on landing.
I used a Haig style CB Tatone tail wheel assembly and the installation is enduring my carrier style landings.
I can't really evaluate flight performance other than it hold a straight vertical and horizontal line. My Russian engine, MDS 1.48 has problems thus limiting the capability of the airframes flight performance. I'm going to replace this powerplant with an O.S. 1.6, than we will see what the Extra will do.
I was influenced by the RCU review into purchasing this plane and so far I am not dissapointed.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:20 PM
mikeboyd

Flycatch, I have a MDS 2.18 on a Dominator 1500 with a pitts syle bisson muffler. It had midrange issues until I blocked off one side of the muffler with JB Weld and starting using a idle bar style glow plug. I am still running it rich since it hasn't had but a couple of tanks of fuel through it. It pulls both 20X8 and 17X12 props with great authority. I am considering using this engine on a Wild Hare 28% extra. Can alway switch to gas later, if it doesn't work. You may want to try a similar statedgy on you 1.48. I have another thread on this project. Anyway, sometimes a Perry pump regulator when set up correctly can make a larger glow engine come to life. Have several friends using them on ST, OS and MDS engines and won't go back to a pressure tank. I have several ST 2300's and they make almost the power of the OS at half the cost. They are just more finicky to break in and get adjusted. The OS is almost idiot proof.

I am not sure how much the MDS 1.48 weighs, but the OS is fairly light weight for it's size and power output. I am running a bisson pitts muffler with one side blocked and with a APC 18X6W prop it has unlimited power. I am starting to consider setting throttle curves, since I only use about 75% power on uplines. I run either 5% glow master or 10% Byrons or Ultimate fuel in it. It isn't particular.

My CG is back a few 16ths further than yours. Mine came in a little hot, until I got the low end set right on the OS, now it comes in pretty good. This airframe is very clean, so I have had to use longer approaches to allow the engine to idle all the way down. I use a High Idle condition for flying and throttle down (Futaba 9C) so the engine slows down, almost to stopping. This gets it slow enough to land. I throw the idle-down switch once I settle on glide slope and announce full stop landing, then if it should go dead stick, I'll make the runway anyhow. Learned this from some Unlimited IMAC guys I fly with. Even at 12.25 pounds, this airplane is no glider, but have dead sticked it once and it came in great, even a little fast, but no problems.

Hope you get your engine running reliably