Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Best prop for moki 1.8

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Norman Soto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best prop for moki 1.8

Hey. I just got a Hangar 9's Edge 540 27% (Remember them?). It will sport a Moki 180 and Cline regulator for extra power. I was wondering which prop suits this combo the best for IMAC/3D flying?. A friend of mine suggested an 18x10 prop. He says a 20 sized prop would be a bit bigger to suit this aircraft's height. I'm nearly sure I'll end up shifting props 4 each flying style, but... has any1 suggestions on this?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:19 PM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Best prop for moki 1.8

A friend of mine flew an APC 18x8 (pitts muffler, 5% nitro, perry pump.....flawless) on a Cap-X. He also flew the 18x8W with good success.....the standard 18x8 was a bit more noisy but spooled up faster (seemed to anyway...).
Old 06-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Norman Soto

Thanx 4 the input man.
I heard an 18x8 prop would be a bit light and the engine could get damaged because of the high RPM´s. I´m advised to never use anything under 18x10. Has any one had troubles using an 18x8 on a Moki 1.8?. Just wondering.
Greetings.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:17 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't hurt em letting them run faster -that is old wife's tale.
Also the Cline reg does not increase power -
It is a demand regulator and if properly installed (very important) - will keep fuel draw consistant with vacuum (airflow) in the carb.
To get best power out of these engines do not squeeze to max rpm on the ground - let it run a little bit fat.
When you shift from level flight to a --hover -the engine needs more fuel -it is working harder--the reg will NOT increase fuel -just keep it constant -so to keep it cool - run just a bit fat.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:03 AM
johnls

I run 18x8 on my Moki 180 with no problems, I,ve also run 19x8 and not noticed any difference. Any greater pitch though, and I can,t slow down enough to land on the short strip I'm using!!! It produces too much power on tick over. Admittedly the aircraft is over powered.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Norman Soto

I´m going for the 18x8 then...I think it´ll do great. As long as it climb out of a hover I´m happy. Now I´ll start thinking of which´s the best smoke system for the thing. Thanx for the inputs... been very useful.