Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

MW Extra Battery Placement vs Radio Interference

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 05:27 PM
billpilotca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MW Extra Battery Placement vs Radio Interference

Hard to know which forum to ask this question in but IMAC folks deal with these issues all the time so I will ask it here. Last year I flew a MW Extra with ZenoahG45 and single battery pack. I wanted more power and have swapped out the G45 for a DA50. But now I am trying to get the CG right with the lighter DA engine. I have gone to a two battery redundant system and the third battery for ignition up under the engine box in the front. Problem is that the DA50 is much lighter than the G45. I am trying to get the weight up towards the front, so I moved the two main batteries and put them up as far as I could on either side of the gas tank - in the cheeks of the fuselage so to speak. Even so I am still going to have to add some lead to get the CG to 5 7/8 inches as specified in the MW Extra manual. But I was told that putting the main batteries up front that close to the ignition system will cause RF interference problems. I guess I could move the batteries rearward to try and get 12-14 inches of separation but then I will just have to add over a pound of lead to the front / engine box to get the balance right. Looking for advice here. I have two elevator servos in the rear, but have moved the rudder servo up into a pull-pull to get less weight in the rear. Thanks in advance.

Bill