IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Parker, CO IMAC, add to your list for next year

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 03:27 PM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parker, CO IMAC, add to your list for next year

This last weekend a few of us Albuquerque pilots went up to the Parker, Colorado IMAC contest. Much to our dismay, there was a marked lack of participation. Although there were enough participants to have the contest, there were nine pilots total. Last year there were about 20-25 pilots if memory serves.

My purpose here is to provide a little insight to my fellow SW contest goers. Gary Jones really did a lot of work to throw what could have been a good size contest. He had several sponsors who donated a total of over $500.00 in prizes (I will name them later when I get home where I left the list...DOH). Needless to say, all the pilots really cleaned up. He had a first rate PA system, computer scoring, and most the other hallmarks of a well-ran contest. The Crosswinds RC Club has a very scenic and clean flying field as well. The runway easily accomodated our 40% Extras. Gary is a very competent CD who had all his ducks-in-a-row.

The point I hope to drive home: Add this contest to your list next year. It's worthy of your support.

Thanks,
Dave Anderson
Old 08-09-2005, 05:20 PM
dave_anderson

Default RE: Parker, CO IMAC, add to your list for next year

The event sponosrs were Action RC Aircraft Center, Aeroworks, Air Scharnell, Blue Yonder Hobby Shop, Coplar Hobbies, Hobbytown USA, and Smart-Fly.

Dave
Old 08-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

Your a good man Dave! If I lived in the area, I would deffinately make it.

Ryan
Old 08-10-2005, 04:43 PM
dave_anderson

Hey Ryan. I didn't make it into the Shootout this year but I plan on volunteering. I'll look you up!

Dave
Old 08-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: andersonaero

Hey Ryan. I didn't make it into the Shootout this year but I plan on volunteering. I'll look you up!

Dave
Please do. I look forward to seeing you again.

Ryan
Old 08-11-2005, 07:40 AM
Dean Bird
My Feedback: (39)

Hi Dave,

I couldn't decide whether to provide any insights on how I select which contests I attend or not, but what the heck. It may help them understand why pilots do or don't attend their contests.

For me, I've never considered a contest in Colorado because the Colorado pilots rarely travel to a contest outside of Colorado. It's like Colorado is their own little region. Every contest I've been at has lots of pilots from California, Arizona, Nevada, and now New Mexico. I wasn't even considering the Albuqueruque contest when I set my schedule this year. Four guys from Albuquerque showed up at the Cactus Classic in March. Guess what? I added Albuquerque to my schedule right then to return the favor.

Until more Colorado pilots starting traveling and joining the party outside of Colorado, their contests will continue to just be an almost all Colorado pilot event.

Just one pilot's thought process. It may or may not help them understand the decisions pilots make.

Are you available for calling at the Shootout?!?!?!?!?

See you there,

Dean Bird
Sun Valley Fliers
Phoenix, AZ
Old 08-11-2005, 07:45 AM
dave_anderson

I should be there and you better believe I'll call for you at the Shootout. Heck I got $20.00 on ya... LOL Hey maybe if Anna reads this I can get a pit-pass! Actually I am volunteering to help run the thing.

Thanks for the info Dean, that's what I was hoping for. I think Colorado has a lot of potential to be a hotbed of activity in the years to come. Lots of nice people up there. Hopefully we can get them out more.

Dave
Old 08-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Dean Bird
My Feedback: (39)

Get a bunch of them to hit the Vegas and Phoenix contests. They will meet a ton of pilots from all over the region. Everyone else meets the Colorado crew, hang out with them, and then the pilots make the choice to travel to their contests. You've seen it!!

I'd put $20 on Ryan and Brad if you got a couple extra ones laying around!! Those are the guys I'm trying to catch.

Later,

Dean Bird
Sun Valley Fliers
Phoenix, AZ
Old 08-13-2005, 11:24 AM
dapattison

Ditto to what Dave said. We had a great time in Parker as well as Chattfield. Gary did a great job in Parker and deserves a big pat on the back. I went to both contests in the hopes of drawing the Colorado folks down to Albuquerque next year. I agree with Dean in the idea that if you do not attend other contests in the region the out of state folks will not come to your event. We all need to make the effort to get out of town more often to support the other contests in the region as well as IMAC. I look forward to seeing all the guys I've been flying with this season at the shootout.

Regards,

Dave Pattison
Old 08-14-2005, 11:37 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't afford the gas ($2.55/gallon) or the time off work to travel all around the country going to IMAC events. I'm just a workin' guy.

There are a LOT of great guys involved in IMAC down in the Denver area. Some of them are pretty darn good pilots. I wish I could get down the mountain to see them more often.

Glen McGee from Action is THE GUY for planes and engines in Denver. He's been in business for a very long time--and I've heard rumors of him retiring. He's a great supporter for lots of the clubs in Denver, and I know he will be missed when he closes the doors at Action RC.

I'm very surprised to see HobbyTown USA supporting IMAC. Didn't think they cared for anything but cars. Glad to hear that they are still interested in the planes.