IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Tucson sequences

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 10:21 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tucson sequences

I sat down on the couch last night and looked at the recently arrived Model Aviation magazine. I found the magazine shoved in a drawer, kind of stumbled on it. Any case while paging through I saw an advertisement for this event called the Tuscon Aerobatics Shootout. I scanned down the advertisement and realized that my name was on the list participating in the event. Wow, I did not even get permission from my wife to go to this yet...Thought I better look at these sequences and do something, whatever that is, charge the batteries, buy some fuel oil, go to a website. I've got some questions for the techical sequence and judging experts out there...

Maneuver 1 in sequence 1, Its one of those bannana laydown humpty things at center box. Things, with 1 1/2 snaps on the upline, and 2 snaps on the downline. Does the exit and entry have to be equal altitude? Second question, where is the "center" of this maneuver in a zoneless box? Is there a center pole in this zoneless box scenareo?

That's it for now.

Thanks much,
Don
Old 08-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Don Szczur

Default RE: Tucson sequences

By the way, I flew this plane from a company called "JTEC". Its an Extra 300. Its one of if not the best flying plane I've ever flown. Whatever that means... it flies much better than me right now.

Don
Old 08-25-2005, 12:36 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Don,

The entry level and exit level don't have to be the same. There is no centering criteria for the figure but make sure the elements on the 45 upline and downline are center on there line.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Anna Wood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don,

The IMAC rulebook and judging criteria is available at:

http://www.mini-iac.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=90

You will want to concentrate on the Flying and Judging Guide portion of the rulebook for the judging criteria of the figures.

Entry and exit in Figure 1 of Known A do not have to be at the same altitude (pg F&JG-34 and -35).

There is no centering criteria for figures in IMAC.

Regards,

Anna Wood
Tucson Aerobatic Shootout
Scorekeeper and Webmaster
Old 08-25-2005, 05:37 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Don, you must be awesome to get invited without applying!
Just shows that you have major skills!
Old 08-25-2005, 05:57 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will pobably be less expensive to fly than to drive to the event this year - so tell your wife - you won't be gone as long---
Jest tryin to help---
Old 08-25-2005, 01:37 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to participate without knowing it, you might as well just wait till the December MA comes out and you can see how you did!!
Old 08-25-2005, 04:44 PM
quist

Dec of what year? They still have not published the 2004 coverage.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: quist

Dec of what year? They still have not published the 2004 coverage.
I am not certain that Model Aviation had someone there covering it formally. I know Rich did put a couple of photos (all they ever have room for) in the District X column. Not sure if Hurley covered it in his column or not, I can't remember what I ate for breakfast most days, so he may have!!

What this event needs is super Internet coverage. Several places do bits and pieces, but it would be cool to see an official "Shootout Coverage" site beyond what the main site does. But all this takes time and people to do and that's always the rub.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Anna Wood

Yes, that is the rub.... Time and manpower. Dave and I have been wanting to get some real time, online coverage for the last couple of years. As scorekeeper my plate is full and I never see the contest since I am in the scoreroom all week. There have also been some technical limitations in the past with having on field, higher speed internet access. Verizon has nicely taken care of that in the past year with 3G wireless service.

Need a technically savvy and dedicated couple of individuals that will be reporters and photographers for the week. Best to not be a pilot competing at the event, so they can focus on the job of reporter. If the right volunteers come forward, I am sure we can put a plan in place to have some good, real time coverage for the event. I have the internet infrastructure in place, just need the right volunteers to do the job.

Regards,

Anna Wood
Scorekeeper and Webmaster
Tucson Aerobatic Shootout

Old 08-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Don Szczur

I do remember submitting an application to fly in the event, but it was pretty far from my mind when I arrived back from the U.S. Nationals. See my fun experiences on the Don Szczur Forum if you want the gory details. Now that I'm awake I must state that its an honar to be on the "invitational list".

Anna, Thank very much for the technical details. I am going to approach this from the technical standpoint. The flights must be flown technially correct, smooth, and graceful. That will be my job. Its a simple job, one line at a time, one roll at a time, one snap at a time. Does anyone want to experience this with me? For starters, I realized that 8 of the 11 maneuvers in the first day known sequence contain snaps. The JTEC Extra 300 is the best snap rolling plane I have ever flown. I have not yelped that loud since the first flight on the FOCUS (after I fixed the elevator). I hope to fly in some good wind tomorrow to see how it performs in those conditions....

I'm a very emotional person. The U.S. Team came in 2nd. My mind is in France still.... I want to cheer but to what avail? Jason and Chip know what to do. I have confidence in their flying. I know Chip. He'll be focused. Jason? Effortless talent.

My job now is to remain unemotional. That is my job. Practice. Many additional questions to come, for sure. Starting with Wednesday known (got to double take on that half snap), then Sunday known, then Saturday Known, then (pick one- Friday or Thursday). Let me see, Sunday opener...two negative snaps on the first cuban leg.....2 negative snaps followed by two, two point rolls in the opposite direction... don't forget to draw a line after all those half rolls equal to the line drawn before the two negative snaps, and push gracefully before hitting the trees, or rocks, or Cactus whatever... blah blah second maneuver, is that a 2 of 4 opposite 4 point, or a 4 point opposite 2 of 4. I'm excited... now if I could only find an economical way to get the plane out there, it may seal the deal with the wife.

Cheers all,

Don
Old 08-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Don Szczur

Three smiling faces. With me are Neils and Marc. Both headed back to Paris after their annual excursion to Virginia.

Headed up to get some soggy practice in with Ray.

Will check with you on further progress and questions.

Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64673.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	315756  
Old 08-27-2005, 04:49 PM
quist

Wow, that is the first Midwing Jtec Extra I have seen. Is this a mod or is it something new that Jtec is coming out with?
Old 08-27-2005, 05:23 PM
pattnut

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony,
Don,s Airplane is the Extra 300, NOT a 300S, or 300L, which are "low" wing variations of Walter Extra's fabulous flying machines...
P.S. It's gorgious isn't it?!

Frank"Old Dawg" Kelley
Old 08-27-2005, 05:57 PM
quist

Frank,

I realize what it is, I just didn't know that Jtec made one or do they?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Don Szczur

The aircraft is a prototype Extra 300. JTEC is taking orders, due out Spring 06. www.jtecrc.com. Al from JTEC will be at the DOGS show in OH this weekend if you have some additional questions you can check with him at that time. I was planning to go to this event with the plane, but looks like I had to change my work travel plans and fly back tonight from Columbus to attend a work meeting tomorrow. I did go jogging around the rim of the Westerville field resevior though. The field gets the best score for landscaping. Much better than my front yard.

Question again for the sequence/zoneless box. Is there normally a center line drawn at the pilot's station per the rulebook? If so, what is the expectation for this center line, as drawn in the rules book. Should the manevers in the center maneuvering area be centered on this line, for example...

Thanks in advance,

Don
Old 08-31-2005, 11:23 PM
XpastywhiteboyX
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Don,

Im in the shootout (only advanced class) So im not at your level yet but il do my best to answer this. IMAC has no centering criteria what so ever. Yes certian menuvers should be flown in certian areas to alow setup for the next menuver, But there is no deffinate place to draw the menuver, It is at your disgression. Maybe we will meet in tuscon. Good luck!

John Wondra
Old 09-01-2005, 11:17 AM
DMichael

Don,

Are you going to be around this weekend? Let's get together and practice. I will need to plan but could probably come down to your field on Sunday or even Monday (Labor Day).

Dave
Old 09-01-2005, 08:00 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Dave & Don,
Will you be attending the Bealeton fly in on the 10th? If so see you there.
I would like to see a comparison of Dave's Extra 260 (his own design) and this new Extra 300 from Jtec.
Best regards,
EXCAP232
Old 09-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Don Szczur

Dave, Don't know will see what the schedule is like for the 10th. Come on out Saturday as my guest. i'll be at NVRC all day.

Center line- Like from the old rules the 1 1/2 snap on the first maneuver would be center. Sounds like the center line really does not matter, or at least it appears to define each 90 degree line (on the deadline).

Thanks for the valuable info.

Don
Old 09-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Don Szczur

Sorry, I was thinking about the New Orleans situation. Two choices, fly late in the day after the electric fun fly, or fly at the Farm club.

Don
Old 09-02-2005, 07:14 AM
tl3
My Feedback: (2)

Don & Dave - how about a FARM club day Sat?
ty
Old 09-02-2005, 09:50 AM
DMichael

Saturday is no good for me- I have two family events that day- one in the morning and one in the late afternoon.

Sunday may work for me. Though I have yet another family event that evening......

Dave
Old 09-03-2005, 05:07 PM
jowily
My Feedback: (31)

Anna,

who is the CD this year is it still Micheal Marcellan (hope I got the spelling right)? I was a volunteer at the first shootout along with my family who had the motor home for the scoreing team. I am not even sure of the DATE of the shoot out but if it works with my schedule I may be available for some volunteer work. I fly with sanoran desert flyers and will not be entering the contest. I live here in Tucson so it may work real well. been flying doe 6 years now.

Jowilly

[email protected]
Old 09-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Anna Wood

Jowilly,

Complete details on the 2005 Tucson Aerobatic Shootout are available at Desert Aircraft website at:

http://www.desertaircraft.com/shootout_2005

Michael Marcellin is the CD for the event. On the Shootout website is a volunteer sign-up page that you can fill out to let us know when you would be available to volunteer.

We hope you can make it on out for the Shootout, looking forward to seeing you again.

Regards,

Anna Wood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.