Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Best IMAC airplane for Zenoah G-26

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 11:25 AM
michb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best IMAC airplane for Zenoah G-26

I have Zenoah G-26 and I seek the best airplane to begin IMAC. Any suggestions ?

Thx a lot.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Best IMAC airplane for Zenoah G-26

I've never had a G-26--so take what I say here with a grain-o-salt.

I DO own several Zenoah engines. Nothing wrong with a Zenoah. They been around for a long time and they are extremely reliable.

It a little heavy for the size plane your gonna have to mount it in. So, if you can afford it--get an electronic ignition. That will get rid of the magneto and save you a considerable amount on the scales.

Second, get rid of the stock steel muffler. It's heavy and restrictive. Someone else can point you to a lighter muffler. I wouldn't know where to find one for this particular engine.

So-get the weight down, and you'll be happier. Lighter always flies better.

As for planes, I would think that ANY 25% aerobat would work fine with this engine. From what you've asked, I am assuming that your interested in entry level IMAC.

You can fly ANY plane in the Basic class. You can fly an LT-40 or a Stick if you want to. But that ONLY applies to the Basic class. Move up to Sportsman next year, and you'll need a true scale plane such as an Extra, Edge, Giles, Sukhoi, Yak...etc.

The Sig 25% ARFs are too heavy IMO. I've had the Cap 231EX and the Extra 300S. Both were too heavy for their size. So, I wouldn't even consider them.

If you just want to get your feet wet, then consider a Stinger. They can be made to fly very precise if you set them up right. The airframe will be light enough to work with your engine.

If you can get your hands on one of the Hanger 9 25% Cap 232--you'll be in fat city. They are reasonably built, and not overweight. Mine weighed 11.75 pounds with a ST3000 and standard MG servos all around. The only problem with the plane is that they don't make them anymore, and they tend to build tail-heavy. Your gas engine should counter the tail-heavy problem, but be mindful of it when you build the plane. The elevators aren't really that big, so you can use a mid-size servo on each elevator half. JR makes some mid-size coreless servos that will save you some weight in the tail. They are about 70oz. torque. PLENTY if you use 1 on each elevator half. Put the Rudder servo as far forward as humanly possible--(like right up against the back of the tank, in FRONT of the CG)--and use kevlar pull-pull on it. Keep the control horns lightweight in the tail. I'd use 4-40 rods or CF if you can swing it. Just keep it light in the tail. It's CRITICAL--or you'll be adding lead to the nose to balance it. Adding lead to the nose is not nearly as effective as adding it to the tail for a nose-heavy plane. The 3:1 moment arm really will kill you here when it comes to balancing it.

How does it fly? Like it's on RAILS. If you can keep it under 12--13 pounds--you'll have a good flying plane. It will 3D if you put enough HP on the firewall and get the control surfaces to MAX deflection, but thats a completely different setup than what you need for IMAC. I'd set it up to fly sequences well, and find a different plane for 3D.

Another plane you might consider is the Great Planes 81" Chipmunk. It's kinda big for your engine, but you don't need unlimited vertical for the Basic class in IMAC. It will fly nice, and it's a scale plane. You can upgrade the engine to a 40--50cc next season when you move up to the next class in IMAC. Yes, you CAN fly a Chipmunk in the Sportsman class.

Goldberg Pitts. Don't have one, but the weight and wing area will probably fit your engine.

Goldberg Decathlon. You may have a bit TOO much engine for this, but it's got almost 1000sq. in . of wing, and it's a scale model. You can fly a Decathlon in ANY class of IMAC. It might actually be a screamer with the G-26. I'll bet it would hover. You'll just have to be aware of all that HP and only use full throttle when the nose is pointed up--NEVER when it's flying level--you'll tear it apart.

Goldberg Sukhoi Plenty of wing, and light enough to perform VERY well with a 26cc gasser.

Good luck--and Welcome to IMAC. It's the most fun I've ever had in RC.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:30 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best IMAC airplane for Zenoah G-26

Solid information by Rcpilet.
Thanks for posting this useful information.
Follow this and you will be fine.

EXCAP232