What to Do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to Do?

I need some suggestions....

My 10 year old wants to compete next season with me at some IMAC events. I plan on attending 6-10 events. He can fly well but he needs a plane that will suit him for the basic sequence but also present well. I have a EF Yak that he has flown but it is a bit intimidating to him, and it is too exspensive for me to risk right now(He has no sense of $$$, He is 10).

I really have no gear for him so it will be a good Christmas for him if you know what I mean. I will probably get him his own transmitter JR 6102, or a used 8103. I don't have too much money to spend because I am working on a 35% for me. Some people have plenty of money to spend on this hobby and can afford several projects, I however don't make too much money and have to take care of the family first so toys come second (really more like 15th). I am wondering what good 25% plane/engine combo would be good for him. I am sure there will come a time when my big plane will be more safe in his hands than mine, but for now it is not. Maybe once I get my new plane done I will care a little less for the EF Yak and he can fly that but he said he would like a plane a little more his size. I know that some companies like to sponsor little kids but that seems to good to be true, and you know what they say about things to good to be true, they aren't true at all.

I will probably get something used but the problem with that is that you have to have the money all up front and I don't have that right now, hopefully by Toledo I will have enough saved to get hime something and finish my project. Any suggestions are welcome at this point. I am just glad that he wants to fly and spend time with me.

Ric
Old 11-11-2005, 10:42 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What to Do?

Great Planes Gene Soucy Extra with an OS160 and an APC 18X6W prop.

I think I spent all of a thousand on this plane, but I already had the 9303 So all I bought was the servos (5645's) the plane and the engine and a slimline pitts muffler. The plane comes with everything except a pilot figure and it even comes with the spinner and adapter for the OS160. I went with the 5645's all around because I like extra torque. I'm like you I do not have allot of extra cash. This plane will easily suit him well for basic and even sportman including the new 2006 sequences.

It presents very well, lands nice and slow and it pretty balistic with the OS160 in it.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:08 AM
RK-Aircraft
My Feedback: (81)

Ric,
You're very lucky that your son wants to do the flying thing. I have an 11 year old thats kind of hohum about it all. I have 12 models of all kinds and sizes and he just isn't impressed at all. He just wants to skate board all day long. I don't get the skate board thing but I don't discourage it. At least he is not getting in trouble somewhere else. Ironically, I just soloed a 12 year old neighbor that can't stop calling me to fly on the weekend. I can't say no to him because if you saw the look on his face when he finally soloed you'd have to have a heart of titanium to say no. He is one happy kid. Its the kind of enthusiasum that comes with a life long commitment to the hobby. But my wife is giving me grief for not spending time with my son and not the neighbor's. I refuse to push him into something he doesn't want. Only time will tell, I guess.
Money is always a tough one. My problem is time. So, unless your son has shown good skills and confidence don't spend in the $1000's. What does presenting well mean??? I would try to get something used. Look on the ads in RCU. There lots to choose from. I'm not an IMAC guy, but Dave Patrick has a small selection but makes good quality ARFs. RCshowcase sells good engines. Servo City and Radio South sells good electronics. Most of all they dispense great advice and support. Good Luck and enjoy every minute with your son.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:25 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Yes you are lucky, like GARCAY my 10 year old is ho hum also about planes and skate boards, I could do both. Anyhow, look into the 72" to 78" range of airplane. The extras, caps and so on would work good for a boy in the beginning levels. You can usually find some inexpensive ones for sale in good condition. Then when your 35% is done he can use that and win the upper levels while your still figuring out the lower ones with his old equipment.[X(]
Old 11-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Hubb
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Ric,

I would think reliability too. I would start with a reliable engine, lets say an OS 1.60. that would fly a good many 1.20 size planes out there. I'm not too current on the 1.20 ARFs but my father flew a thundertiger Giles ARF that was about 78" and it flew and presented the sequences very well. I enjoyed flying it but it was a bit underpowered with his TT 1.20 engine. an OS 1.60 would have really brought that plane to life. OK, lets think OS .91. there is a guy in my (old) club that flies a great planes 60 size extra 300. it is also a real good basic flying type plane. a bit older and a "kit" not ARF. incidentaly this is the same plane that started me flying IMAC. mine was powered by an old OS 1.08. the .91 fx would be a better match though. should bring the weight to around 7.5lbs. good combination in my book. if you go .60 size then watch the wing area on some of them. of course I would not think of anything other than a DA 50 if you were to step up to gas, there are alot of nice flying 50cc planes out there - especially your EF Yak. but, there goes your $$$$$. I don't think you have to go crazy on servos, just something that centers well. perhaps a mid grade digital (~$50)

good luck and keep us updated

Hubb
Old 11-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the Aero-Works Edge its a 46 size but flys like a much bigger plane. Definatly try to find him a plane its great to see a 10 year old with interest in imac.

Mark
Old 11-11-2005, 07:56 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

If he is flying basic he could get a non-scale plane like a Showtime or one of the 91 sized pattern ARF's. Other scale aerobatic types I would suggest would be something like a Goldberg Extra or Sukhoi- ARF if you can afford it, kit if you are inclined to build and want to save money. I had one of the Goldberg Sukhois several years back with a Webra 120 and it was great- smooth flyer- stretched out. With an OS 160 it would be awesome.

Also- check RCU classifieds. There's a Great Planes 1/4 scale Extra - looks like it includes a 160 and servos - for $600. I'm sure there are others to see.

Dave
Old 11-11-2005, 08:47 PM
rcblimppro

A few years ago I had a Lanier Laser powered with an OS 108. The kits are going for about $150 and the engine can be found for under $200. Standard BB servos in the 50 OZ range will work except for rudder 75 OZ would be better. This would make a really good Basic airplane.

Shawn
Old 11-11-2005, 09:52 PM
sjm
My Feedback: (8)

Hi Ric,

You will find that you are in a great family in the NC region. I love seeing new young pilots coming in. I'll tell you what I can do for you. I have a Great Planes Patty 1/4 Scale Wagstaff Extra just sitting here. It's yours for your son for free. It is used but in good shape and has a lot extra parts. You will just need to pick it up or we can find someone in our region to help get it to you. It has 3 different cowls that were for different engines. I would recommend a DA-50.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:31 PM
babflyer
My Feedback: (2)

I would take sjm up on his offer!! I have an os 1.60, good engine but I have never had a glow engine give the me confidence that gas engines have so I would also suggest going with a proven, quality gas engine.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:49 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sjm

Hi Ric,

You will find that you are in a great family in the NC region. I love seeing new young pilots coming in. I'll tell you what I can do for you. I have a Great Planes Patty 1/4 Scale Wagstaff Extra just sitting here. It's yours for your son for free. It is used but in good shape and has a lot extra parts. You will just need to pick it up or we can find someone in our region to help get it to you. It has 3 different cowls that were for different engines. I would recommend a DA-50.

Excellent offer sjm, just truly excellent My hats off to you

Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Hubb
My Feedback: (1)

Sammy,

thats an awsome offer dude!

folks, Sam is one of the greatest stand-up-kind of guys in IMAC and a treasure to the hobby.

Ric, I can't remember where you fly out of, but I am in Lebanon now. if you take Sam up on his offer, I would be willing to help get it for you. I could easily fit a pattywagstaff in my blazer with the kids so I could go meet Sammy up his way somewhere and help get it down here to you. I've got some free time right now, my wheels are yours - just let me know!

Hubb

Old 11-12-2005, 12:07 PM
rcblimppro

SJM is DA MAN!!!!!!!!! I love seeing things like this. If it weren't for guys like this the hobby just really wouldn't be the same. At the SW regionals this year there were 3 airplanes lost but others stepped up and offered up airplanes so that they all could finish the contest. If a new CF and Titanium tailwheel is needed for that GP Patty drop me a note.

Shawn
R/C Blimp Productions