Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

South Central Basic Bootcamp

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Bobby Folsom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: South Central Basic Bootcamp

Jarrod, be sure and use low rates when you fly IMAC. Tom's directions as to the number of degrees of throw should be approx 13-14 degrees, rudder about 25-30 degrees and aileron as much as you like. Be sure and use expo on all control throws.

BTW Guys, I will bring my degree meters that Duane Cox designed and Don's Hobbies now sells. The degree meters are NOT the thingy with the clothes pin on it, they are much more accurate than that!!

Bobby
Old 11-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Dangerous Dan
My Feedback: (1)

Bobby,
You can't go wrong with the New Hanger 9 Digital deflection meter. You don't even have to have the plane level. You click it on tare/.zero then it measures throw within. .1 degree. It doubles ad an digital insidence meter.

Dan P

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...?ProdID=HAN192
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90720.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	359654  
Old 11-24-2005, 11:58 AM
marshallcowboy
My Feedback: (14)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! Hope your holiday is a good one.
MC
Old 11-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Redneck Shaun

Back to ya Jarrod. I already have the first course down, and have just unbutton my britches! Thinking bout' that punk'n pie and whipped cream as I type!! .
Old 11-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Super D

Eddie or Jarrod can we bring a 5th wheel travel trailer to camp at the field? Would there be electricity? Being during january I wont use much electricity, but if there is none I can generate. Thanks Dylan
Old 11-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Yak_54_flyer
My Feedback: (2)

Dylan

There is juice there but I don't remember seeing RV hook ups.

Eddie

p.s. there is a giant powerplant just across the lake
Old 11-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Dangerous Dan

Eddie,
What is the format for the bootcamp? Aresti training? Individual instruction? Evaluation? Judging practice?

Maby on the second day we can take turns flying our sequence while everbody else judges, then after each pilot finishes their flight we can have a group section to discuss 1. How everyone scored them and what they got points deducted for(judging practice), 2. give the pilot feedback on what they did good and what they need improvment on.

What ya think?

This is going to be an awsome experience. I practiced over 100 flights, but a lot of my manuevers I practeced doing it wrong over and over. In the IMAC's I competed in I learned a lot. I learned the most when a judge or some other pilot watching would take the time to give me feedback. It would be awsome to be able to fly then get immidiate feedback.

I learned through feedback that my uplines were too short, my sequence was too crowded together, and on the last IMAC I realized that I was rolling and spinning too fast.

Thanks

Old 11-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Yak_54_flyer

Dan

So far I do have alot flying planned. Utilizing the volunteers, I plan to have some helping talk about and show how to trim a plane, throttle management during flight. I am working on a agenda that I am going to email Ryan and Rick and see if they like it or want to add to it. On Sunday I want to have like a mini contest so the absolute new guys know what to expect when they go to a real one. Maybe even a practice unknown for any sportsman pilot that wants to try. I am checking o motel stuff also over the weekend.

Eddie
Old 11-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Bobby Folsom

Hey Dan. I think you changed your prop after we talked about the short uplines and that allowed to go on up!!

Eddie, is their an enclosed clubhouse at the field? It would be nice to have and enclosed, warm, out of the wind place to hold the bootcamp sort of like we did at Ft. Worth back in February.

Bobby
Old 11-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Yak_54_flyer

Bobby

There is no enclosed clubhouse. We might have to rough it a little. By the way as soon as I hear from everyone I will post the agenda on the ETAMS website.

Eddie
Old 11-25-2005, 11:09 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

How well does a new guy like me need to be able to fly the basic sequence before I get there? I'm working on it, just need to know how well I need to have it down.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:44 PM
RByrd

I wouldn't worry to much about having it down too much. As long as you understand what is going on.

To everyone that is coming, I would just make sure that your planes are in good working order. The usual stuff before you go fly. Batteries charge, prop tight, did I remember to glue the hinges in, J/K!!! I know I hate working on a plane at the field other then trimming the plane.

Above all is remember to have fun and try to learn has much as you can. I believe this is a great opportunity for our region to get new guys into the sport and to further the knowledge of the guys that are already in.

Rick
Old 11-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Yak_54_flyer

Ditto on what Rick said;

Just check your planes and come ready to have some fun. I will have something posted on motels later today.

Eddie
Old 11-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Yak_54_flyer

OK

Even though we are not a sanctioned event the Comfort Inn said they would give us a break. They normally charge $79.99+ tx ea night. They will give us a special rate $57.99+tx ea. night for either a single or two beds. Their phone number is (903) 577-7553. Make sure you let them know you are there for the 2006 Basic IMAC Bootcamp.

Eddie Bernaldez
Old 11-27-2005, 09:05 AM
marshallcowboy

Ok heres a running list of who we having signed up at this point. If your name isnt on the list please email me at [email protected] so I can add you to the list, and now on to the list

Jarrod Carr Basic
Jim Spicer Basic
Shaun Russell Basic
Steve Cambell Basic
Dan Powell Basic
Tobe Hart Basic
Howard Stevens Basic
Dylan Forney Basic
Alan Clark Basic

Volunteers
Eddie Bernaldez
Rick Byrd
Bobby Folsom
Ryan Gonsoulin
Jonas Pharr
Bill Higgens via email
Keith McDonald
Dan Rathburn via email

If you did not see your name listed above please send me an email.
Jarrod
Old 11-27-2005, 10:04 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: EXTRA_330LX_FLYER

OK

Even though we are not a sanctioned event the Comfort Inn said they would give us a break. They normally charge $79.99+ tx ea night. They will give us a special rate $57.99+tx ea. night for either a single or two beds. Their phone number is (903) 577-7553. Make sure you let them know you are there for the 2006 Basic IMAC Bootcamp.

Eddie Bernaldez

Outstanding. Just got off the phone with Tricia, who fixed me right up.

Holiday Inn can keep their $95 room...

Thanks, Eddie. much appreciated.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Redneck Shaun

Hey....... I'm just starting to put this routine together. I want to be praticing what it should look like from the get go. Is there any chance that one of the volunteers might be able video tape themselves flying the routine so that we can get a idea of how it should look? It might get us rookies a step in the right direction. If we had a example of how it should look like "NOW". It might expedite the learning so that we can be better prepared when the boot camp comes around.
Any volunteers??
Shaun
Old 11-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Dangerous Dan

Looks like a lot of basic Pilots will be there this is awsome!

Can we use this thread to talk about some of the common mistakes that Basic Pilots Make(I have made all of them and still do). Here it a few that I can think of.

1. Flying in too close

2. Flying too fast

3. Rushing the sequence(short uplines)

4. Spinning too fast with too much aileron

5. rolling too fast

6. not centering the manuever on the line

7. Going in or out ie... not keeping the same distance for the whole sequence

8. straight and level

Did I miss any?

Can we discuss individually how to prevent these?

This should be helpful.

Old 11-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Bobby Folsom

Hey Dan, re: nomber 4 on the list. Don't use ailerons for a spin!!! If you do it's called "snapping into the spin" and you get a big fat zero!! It's a hard habit to break - I know because I used to do that as well. The others on your list are all good points and deserve discussion.

Bobby
Old 11-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Dangerous Dan

At the regionals I zeroed 4 out of 6 of my spins two for over rotation and two for forcing it.

Old 11-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Redneck Shaun

Don't use ailerons for a spin!!!
You don't ? Well heck......I have been using both rudder and ailerons.[]
Old 11-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Super D

quote:

You don't ? Well heck......I have been using both rudder and ailerons.
Myself included that will be a hard habit to break.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:04 PM
marshallcowboy

ORIGINAL: SHAUN RUSSELL

You don't ? Well heck......I have been using both rudder and ailerons.[]
Dont feel bad Dan, I zeroed everyone of my spins, all for over rotation. Eddies been helping me with the spin, and I think Ive gotten it down pretty close. At least I can get them to stop pretty close to where they need to. My biggest thing atm is the last few Ive done I get backwards and throw the wrong rudder input. Oh well, I jis need to practice some more. Looks like tuesday here is gonna be a nice day for flying, gonna try and spend as much time as I can at the field doing just that.
MC
PS Maybe I can get Eddie to fly it and I'll video tape it and then post it. I'll give him a call on it.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Redneck Shaun

Maybe I can get Eddie to fly it and I'll video tape it and then post it
That would be great Jarrod, thanks.
Shaun
Old 11-27-2005, 09:52 PM
RByrd

Can we use this thread to talk about some of the common mistakes that Basic Pilots Make(I have made all of them and still do). Here it a few that I can think of.

Here i will try to help:

1. Flying in too close --- To me this just an area were you fell comfortable with. The new guys seem to fly closer for some reason not sure why. Try moving out a bit a see how it looks.

2. Flying too fast --- Too fast goes back to flying to close. Everything is rushed because you are so close in. Don't forget to throttle back a little

3. Rushing the sequence(short uplines)--- This is just a matter of burning fuel and understanding the power window your plane has. I don't think basic has any upline rolls, but if a roll was involved start the roll sooner on the upline.

4. Spinning too fast with too much aileron --- try going to low rate aileron. My Extra won't even stay in a spin if I don't have a little aileron involved. Burn more fuel and don't be afraid to try something different. Over roation is tuff. The one thing I notice alot is the pilot letting go off the sticks were you think it will stop. Try flying the airplane to a stop.

5. rolling too fast --- ok on this if anyone has a deflection meter, Leave it alone once you get the overall setup in your plane. I.E. make sure elevators are pulling the same. Once the setup is done. Leave the meter at home. Not everyone is going to use 15 degrees of elevator. Use what is comfortable for you. Adjust your D/R to what you like, and don't be afraid to experiment.

6. not centering the manuever on the line--Burn fuel!!!!

7. Going in or out ie... not keeping the same distance for the whole sequence--- This one my dad taught me along time ago. I really struggled with this one in my early days of pattern. Start by making a trim pass were you want it, and them copy it for the whole flight. Up and down the flight path you have choose. it took me 2 full weeks to get were I could hold a line. So have patience with this one.

8. straight and level---Most pilots don't know when they are straight and level. The most common is the wingtip that is close to you is always down. Whether you are going up wind or down wind. Learn what your plane looks like wings level and go from there. Also remember that your wings are going to look different going acroos the top of the box.

I hope this helps, also everyone check there CG. Most guys think a tailheavey plane flys better. Try adding some nose weight and your plane will get a more locked in feel.

Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.